Need help to start exercising

Options
My doctor told me I have diabetes last month and I am having no trouble eating right and keeping my blood sugar level in the range he wants. But, I am so tired that I just can't seem to get motivated to start walking. Not only am I tired all the time, but my knees and lower back hurts when I try to walk.

Any words of encouragement would greatly be appreciated.

Replies

• obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Exercise will give you more energy when you start. If walking hurts maybe think about swimming?
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical as I find it has less of an impact on my knees. Maybe start with ten or so minutes going slowly on the elliptical at a low resistance. Make sure you listen to your favorite music! Once you get a feel for that, branch out to other exercises, add more time/resistance, etc.

I second the other poster - exercising always gives me more energy.
  • Babs5502
    Options
    Hi when is it best to exercise morning or evening as am monitoring my calories ?
  • mikenelson20
    mikenelson20 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you want to walk, start with a good pair of WALKING shoes. Go to a walking/running store, pay a little bit of money and get a good pair. They should feel comfortable from the moment you put them on. Also, you might want to see a chiropractic to get your body straightened out. Also, they might be able to test your feet to see if orthotics will help. Maybe a massage or two, till your body gets used to exercising. Take it slow to begin with. If you are still hurting, you should see a doctor.

Also, if you are always tired, maybe you are not eating enough (I really don't know much about diabetes)? Or are you having problems sleeping (rest is just as important as exercise)? Or is "tired" just another word for lack of motivation? Your body will do will give whatever excuse you need if you really don't want to exercise. Best of luck.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Hi when is it best to exercise morning or evening as am monitoring my calories ?
    Exercise is fine whenever you can fit it in. That being said if you are going to have trouble eating back your calories later in the day then probably best to do it earlier.