What Positive Changes Have You Made Since Joining MFP

Options
Hello,

I want to start off by saying that I LOOOOVE MFP and the wonderful people on this site. Since joining MFP, I have made many positive changes.

I log everyday, I make better food choices, I plan my meals, I keep variety in my food choices (too keep the plan exciting), I don't eyeball my food anymore - I actually measure it now.

What are some of the positive changes that you have made since joining MFP.

BTW - I don't think losing weight can get easier than this (MFP) tracking calories - IMHO that is :)

Replies

• cinnabear22
    cinnabear22 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I definitely started eating healthier. It's so much easier to do when I actually can see everything I eat. It makes me want to eat better and not be embarrassed when other people see my poor food choices.

I also started exercising. Before i would try to take a walk out something but now I'm actually going to the gym again and running!

I also want to say I feel do much meter than I ever have before, I feel confident, strong, and look forward to things through out my day. My clinical depression is completely gone!
  • ChickenmommaMich
    ChickenmommaMich Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've only been on MFP for a few weeks now. Since then, I've gotten so much better at eating reasonable portion sizes. I've also gotten a heart rate monitor which is so motivating. I actually want to do my exercises now so I can have my wine :) I measure my food now (and just ordered a food scale so I can be more accurate) Since joining MFP, I finally feel like I can actually lose weight and it won't be an uphill battle :)
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    That's amazing :)

I also find that MFP is an eye opener when it comes to portion control. I use to eat sooooo much (reason for weight gain). Now I don't feel guilty about what I eat :)

Whereas before, I was eating so much with the guilt feeling :)

I feel better about myself as well :)
  • MamaDuckN2MamaWow
    MamaDuckN2MamaWow Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have definitely stuck with my initial motivation. I've started this journey many times before, but as soon as I hit a stressful point or someone tempted me, I was done. Like today for instance, any other time I would have ended up in a fast food line or standing in front of a vending machine, especially since I have $1's in my wallet! My fast meal today was a Lean Cuisine, while not the best choice I could make, it is a FAR better choice than a hamburger or a chicken dinner in the fast line. I'm more honest, not only with myself, but everyone who reads my diary. I can see exactly where I stand for the rest of the day and can make better choices by knowing exactly how many calories/protein/sodium/sugar I actually have left. It feels good to know that if I am having a hungry day that all I have to do is go move by body, clean the house, walk, or whatever and I CAN eat without feeling guilty. It always helps to have motivation and support at home from your loved ones, but is very rewarding having complete strangers cheer you on for your efforts..I love the support team here. It really makes a difference!
  • dwendling63
    Options
    Let's see...for me it was the "aww-ha" moment when I realized that "weight loss" is not as hard as I had made it all these years for myself. ALL the excuses and lies that I told myself and others was the down fall of my health and weight issues. I made it difficult! I realized that it was like a bad marriage. I snuck food into my mouth...ate secret meals, planned extravigant dinner partys in order to not eat alone. I was a cheater to myself! I could talk myself out of exercising and could put off until tomorrow as easy as I could put on pounds. I had horrible habits where food is concerned.
    **light-bulb***
    Now,it is no longer hard to loose weight. I just had to change the "gears between the ears", research, lots of books on cooking, dieting, exercise, health, and then making the commitment to get healthy and fit. I NOW hate excuses: (the blame game)using ex-husbands, work stresses, our children, finances, parents, in-laws, out-laws, "it's too hot", it's to cold", peer pressure, schedules, surgeries, illnesses, time-changes...full moons, etc..."ya-da, ya-da, ya-da"...as to why I couldn't loose weight!
    **then 2 bulbs burned"
    Weight loss is coming to grips with the fact that it will NOT... (repeat)...."WILL NOT"....happen over night! I don't have the urge to quit or throw in the towel anymore...because I have come to terms with what "long-haul" really means. [Vow:until death do us part....me & fat!] So everyday I will get out of bed and say, "Good Morning Self . I <3 U...wanna go kick fat's *kitten* today?" So, the end of this love story is that I bought myself a piece of jewelry, after loosing 20 pounds, to symbolize my commitment and love to myself. Many men, whom I have loved and dedicated years to...( and delivered wonderful bundles of joy for)... have cheated on me. Probably had nothing to do with looks, size, love, or any other negative thoughts I could dream up. So, here became the true challenge: could I be faithful to myself? If I can't be true to myself and love who I am in the mirror...then, why blame someone else for not doing the same? I was not better than the next to be judging and blaming.

I am happy now and I feel good! Better than good...and that feeling tastes better than chocolate cake with soft serve on top!
    In short: My main change that I have made was from WITHIN! The OUTSIDE will come with time. (29#'s lost / 21#'s to go)
    Thanks MFP for getting me healthy again and to "track my day 197" for for being one of my favorite MFP friends! Amazing how helpful it is for a bunch of endorfin, estrogen filled, gravity defying gals can be to one another through sharing!
    Good Night All!
    ~Robin
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to stay active in little ways. I'm home right now from college, and since joining MFP I find myself doing more things to be active without "working out" per say. For example I make my bed every day now, just so I can be standing up and moving around - and my room looks neat and clean!
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out as much because it's easier to control my calorie intake and limit the amount of sodium I receive daily. I now cook more at home and am saving money! I used to go out to eat twice a day 6 times a week. Thanks MFP!
  • alanda37
    Options
    Walking every day.....and planning what I eat. It truly is key =) This site is great and the people ( such as you) are awesome!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    So many great changes:
    1. Have stopped falling off the wagon because I have learned that losing weight is about calorie deficit, not "low carb" or "low fat" or "clean" etc. When I simplified my diet to include food I love, I was able to stick with it and can envision myself sticking with it forever.
    2. Now I plan my meals and exercise the day or even the week before, so that I always have the right food in the house and enough exercise scheduled to meet my goals.
    3. I am excited about the process of getting healthier and no longer as impatient to get to the destination.
  • JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options
    Portion control awareness. Learning so much from people who share on the forums and utilizing some of that into my daily life. Being accountable for my diary to a group of great "friends" who are so supportive. Learning to chose what I am going to order at a restaurant before leaving the house.
  • klyn05
    klyn05 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Well of course the obvious changes in (mostly) healthier foods, and being a lot more active has made me more motivated to get healthy in general & other areas in my life! I have started taking vitamins / supplements regularly as well which I feel is very important! I am getting into more of a routine because of the fitness and food - when I am controlling that, I feel like more things in life fall into place for some reason! Also, I feel like I have less cravings, part of that is willpower & part is the habit/routine of using MFP to make these changes!!
  • AfricaLatina
    AfricaLatina Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Wow, well there have been so many changes for me like logging daily, portion control and realising that I can include all the foods I want to as long as its logged and within my calorie count...
    ...by far the best change has been that I now regularly exercise with my kids! :bigsmile:
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I stopped punching babies.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    portion control and daily intake.
    taking up lifting heavy (relative for moi!)
    Making sure I eat enough protein.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I make rational food decisions now, rather than emotional ones. I also drink more ice water and I swim daily. It's encouraging to be here every day.
  • Naaer
    Naaer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My positive changes are many...First of all, I couldn't believe how much I was eating before...!!! It really makes a difference to log your food EVERY DAY LIKE CLOCKWORK...When it is written in black and white, you can really SEE how much you are REALLY eating...I think that this has been the biggest change for me...I have always gotten a lot of exercise as I am in a physical job(cleaning--custodial) and I've always walked on the weekends...The change has been that NOW I am swimming, which I love, but I wouldn't do before because I was "too fat"...Now I just put on my suit and go swimming!!! Swimming is terrific exercise...Just fifteen minutes is something like a hundred and fifty calories...GREAT!!! Since I joined Weight Watcher's last year, I now eat more fruits and vegetables than I used to, and I've continued that...It feels great to eat healthy most of the time...I think MFP will work for me because they talk about MAINTENACE a lot..I regained the weight I lost at WW, and THEN SOME!!! I am determined to take it off FOR GOOD this time...
    My attitude has changed...In a month, I have lost ten pounds, which, I think, is very good progress...I am glad that the weight is coming off quicker than it did with WW...I made a bet with my ex-boyfriend about how much weight I can lose by Christmas, so THAT is, also, very motivating!!! I really feel that I can DO IT THIS TIME AND KEEP IT OFF...The support here is terrific...I have made some great and supportive friends, too...
    I guess that's the main changes...Sorry this is so long, it just all came out!!!

Reaan:bigsmile:
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    more exercise, strength training.. :) making better choices, tracking my calories and macros. I bought a food scale for better logging :3 now I'm planning ahead and sticking to them!
  • mrshudson813
    mrshudson813 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If I use MFP like I am suppose to use it, by logging exercise and food, I tend to make healthier choices and don't overeat. I love using my heart rate monitor because I feel it gives me a more accurate caloric burn. I LOVE MFP!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Eating healthier
  • joe2626
    joe2626 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Lost 70+ lbs, quit smoking (cigarettes and...well...naughty ones), I now only drink alcohol a few times a year, I have found a passion for nutrition and exercise and the science behind it and my food choices are far better and i'm far more aware of what i'm cramming in my mouth. As a full time student, I also used to order some kind of takeaway maybe even once or twice a week. Now, i'd be surprised if I had it more than 5 times a year.