The Best Breakfast for Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    So, in all fairness...I did find this article which provides a little more information http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/08/07/big-breakfast-diet-_n_3717832.html and it does state that the meals were prepared for the women.

This references the "jump start your metabolism' theory which has also been hotly debated so...

What it all boils down to is finding what works for you.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    First of all, this very small study doesn't say that their research was carried out in a controlled environment where the test subjects were monitored 24 hours a day and what they ate was prepared for them. Instead, like so many studies they probably relied on the subjects keeping journals and trusted them to be accurate.

Also in the article is says this "But that doesn’t mean that starting your day with a 700-calorie Cronut will automatically help you lose weight. Instead, shoot for a large, balanced meal that’s high in protein—like eggs, yogurt, or lean meat—to fend off hunger."

This quote from the article makes way more sense. The reason that people tend to eat less when they start the day with a hearty breakfast is because they remain satiated longer and are better able to control their calorie intake for the rest of the day.

There are plenty of people who are successful doing all kinds of things, including skipping breakfast entirely.

What bothers me about all of these studies is that they are very rarely conducted on enough subjects and are very rarely done under controlled circumstances so are really more anecdotal then evidence based and they then get published in a magazine as the next best thing. It's not proof of anything.

Everyone has to do what works for them. If eating a big breakfast helps you meet your calorie and macro goals for the day then by all means Eat breakfast like a king and eat dinner like a pauper. Remember that saying?

But, you may go to bed hungry in which case your sleep will most likely not be quality and you'll struggle with sleep deprivation which has been proven to be a contributor to obesity and poor health in general. Your choice. I'm just saying that this tiny study doesn't prove anything.

This study isn't just published in some random magazine. It was published in the scientific Israeli journal Obesity, as stated in the first few sentences. The magazine published their own interpretation of the results of the study. You implied that the study relies on anecdotal evidence to draw their conclusions and that the study wasn't well controlled. How did you come to that conclusion? This online magazine article barely touches on how they conducted their study. To find that information out, you would have to read the study itself. Science>broscience.
    Obesity isn't an Israeli journal, the study was conducted by Israeli researchers.

Also, without a link to the study itself, this article is completely meaningless. Also, very small sample size + very short study length = pretty useless for attempting to extrapolate out to the general population.
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    First of all, this very small study doesn't say that their research was carried out in a controlled environment where the test subjects were monitored 24 hours a day and what they ate was prepared for them. Instead, like so many studies they probably relied on the subjects keeping journals and trusted them to be accurate.

Also in the article is says this "But that doesn’t mean that starting your day with a 700-calorie Cronut will automatically help you lose weight. Instead, shoot for a large, balanced meal that’s high in protein—like eggs, yogurt, or lean meat—to fend off hunger."

This quote from the article makes way more sense. The reason that people tend to eat less when they start the day with a hearty breakfast is because they remain satiated longer and are better able to control their calorie intake for the rest of the day.

There are plenty of people who are successful doing all kinds of things, including skipping breakfast entirely.

What bothers me about all of these studies is that they are very rarely conducted on enough subjects and are very rarely done under controlled circumstances so are really more anecdotal then evidence based and they then get published in a magazine as the next best thing. It's not proof of anything.

Everyone has to do what works for them. If eating a big breakfast helps you meet your calorie and macro goals for the day then by all means Eat breakfast like a king and eat dinner like a pauper. Remember that saying?

But, you may go to bed hungry in which case your sleep will most likely not be quality and you'll struggle with sleep deprivation which has been proven to be a contributor to obesity and poor health in general. Your choice. I'm just saying that this tiny study doesn't prove anything.

This study isn't just published in some random magazine. It was published in the scientific Israeli journal Obesity, as stated in the first few sentences. The magazine published their own interpretation of the results of the study. You implied that the study relies on anecdotal evidence to draw their conclusions and that the study wasn't well controlled. How did you come to that conclusion? This online magazine article barely touches on how they conducted their study. To find that information out, you would have to read the study itself. Science>broscience.
    Obesity isn't an Israeli journal, the study was conducted by Israeli researchers.

Also, without a link to the study itself, this article is completely meaningless. Also, very small sample size + very short study length = pretty useless for attempting to extrapolate out to the general population.

Oops, I made a mistake then. My bad. Obesity is still a scientific journal. This is not a small sample size for an in person participant experiment. Samples of 30 or greater are needed to be able to make reliable statistical inference. Yes, it is a short study, but when you are doing a study that requires following up and measuring and tracking live participants in-person on a daily basis, it is difficult to a study for a long period of time. These studies need to be funded.

The study doesn't need to be "legitimized" any further. It already passed peer-review and being published. Everyone is implying that because this study is being cited in an online article it is being de-legitimized. Anyone can cite any scientific article.
  • JuantonBliss
    JuantonBliss Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    That has been debunked. I've always had dinner as my biggest meal and it has never hindered my weight loss. Meal timing is just another gimmick to sell diet books. You can eat before bed, you can eat IN bed and at the end of the day it's all about the deficit you create.

This seems like a recent study in a scientific journal. How could it have been debunked already? It may not have hindered your weight loss, but maybe it will be a good fit for someone else.

Not really... Eating big breakfasts, medium lunches and small dinners have been around for decades, if not in the US than in Europe for sure. My mom told me how they use to eat like this all the time.
  • jenna311
    jenna311 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Thank you for sharing. This works for some women...my friend lost a ton of weight and always got on to me about how much I ate in the PM vs AM. I have not tried it myself but I heard this quote: "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper!"
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    When I had my biggest meal at breakfast I lost a lot of weight and I attribute it to that.

But now my biggest meal is dinner , and I still lose weight at the same rate.

Is not when you eat your calories but how many of them you have , some people are hungrier in the morning and some are more hungry in then afternoon.

The time you eat your food is not going to change how many calories your body burn.

The eating a big breakfast thing works for some people because some of them like to skip meals during the day and at the end of the day they are starving and want to eat everything.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it is scientifically proven or not but I do know I have had much better success this time by eating smaller dinners than I have with weight loss in the past. I don't think it works for everyone but don't knock those of us it does work for. Also I never go to bed hungry or wake up hungry when I do this but I can tell you I wake up starving if I eat within an hour of going to bed. Everyone needs to figure out what will work for them and so long as it isn't going to be hazardous to someone's health quit knocking people for posting articles they find interesting.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    My sister weighs about 105 pounds and never eats breakfast, eats large dinners. Successfully maintains her lean figure for years.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I lost 50lbs without ever eating breakfast at all :drinker:
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    That has been debunked. I've always had dinner as my biggest meal and it has never hindered my weight loss. Meal timing is just another gimmick to sell diet books. You can eat before bed, you can eat IN bed and at the end of the day it's all about the deficit you create.

This seems like a recent study in a scientific journal. How could it have been debunked already? It may not have hindered your weight loss, but maybe it will be a good fit for someone else.

Not really... Eating big breakfasts, medium lunches and small dinners have been around for decades, if not in the US than in Europe for sure. My mom told me how they use to eat like this all the time.

Do you understand the difference between a scientific study and what people do in real life? Just because people have been practicing something for decades doesn't mean it has been scientifically studied or tested. This magazine article is an interpretation of a scientific study published in a journal. I can't find the journal article now, but I get the feeling it wasn't "decades" ago.

This is like the most frustrating thread ever.
  • Kimberrh6
    Kimberrh6 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed this article. Thanks for sharing. I too notice when I eat more calories in the morning instead of the evening, I lose better.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I completely agree.

I've structured my meals all different ways. I seem to do best with a smallish breakfast, smallish lunch, and lots of calories for after dinner snacking. The most important factor is being able to stick to your calorie goal.
  • JenMaselli
    JenMaselli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The article suggests eating half your daily cals at breakfast?! There is no way that would work for me. I eat a tiny breakfast because I am not hungry in the morning - I usually have to force myself to eat. I like to save calories for a larger dinner (large being relative when you are eating 1200 calories a day) and a fudgsicle before bed. And I'm losing the weight, no problem. As someone above pointed out, each person should do whatever it is that works for them . If you are good eating half your daily calories in the morning and can get through your day, more power to you. I happen to get hungrier as the day goes on, so I wouldn't lose any weight eating like this. Really, as long as you are eating at a caloric deficit it shouldn't matter what time you eat.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Coffee.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    What ever breakfast is geared most towards keeping you in calorie deficit.

On work days I eat breakfast at 5:30am. On non work days I might not eat breakfast/lunch until noon.

As long as at the end of the day I'm under my maintenance calories, I will lose weight.
  • hafbreed02
    Options
    NONE
  • hafbreed02
    Options
    I lost 50lbs without ever eating breakfast at all :drinker:

Awesome.....breakfast (BREAK-FAST) hint hint....just makes most people eat more throughout the day
  • huajia
    huajia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like to keep my breakfast very light but nutritious! I often drink a huge glass of green juice every single day in the morning. It keeps you full too!
  • Ryan__V
    Ryan__V Posts: 36
    Options
    I use to live by the rule: If I eat in the morning, I am hungry all day. If I wait until I am hungry, I will eat less.

I have since found out on my weight loss journey that the first part is correct. If I eat in the morning I AM hungry all day, and that is a good thing. I have had much more luck starting early with a good wholesome breakfast and then eating every two to three hours after that.

If I skip breakfast, I very easily fall back in to my own 400+ pound eating habits: No Breakfast, Big Lunch, Big Dinner, plus who knows how many extra calories I eat while staring in the fridge and pantry grazing...

It is much easier for me to start early and map out my day. That way when I get hungry I can tell my self it is only XX minutes until my next snack.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I use to live by the rule: If I eat in the morning, I am hungry all day. If I wait until I am hungry, I will eat less.

I have since found out on my weight loss journey that the first part is correct. If I eat in the morning I AM hungry all day, and that is a good thing. I have had much more luck starting early with a good wholesome breakfast and then eating every two to three hours after that.

If I skip breakfast, I very easily fall back in to my own 400+ pound eating habits: No Breakfast, Big Lunch, Big Dinner, plus who knows how many extra calories I eat while staring in the fridge and pantry grazing...

It is much easier for me to start early and map out my day. That way when I get hungry I can tell my self it is only XX minutes until my next snack.

Sounds like an eating disorder to me (Not an insult) - but eating every 2-3 hours is practically borderline eating disorder and counting down minutes for a snack.