Water!

Options
Hey guys,

Quick question re water..

Currently drinking around 2litres a day and just wondered - how much is enough? Is it really relative to your weight? xx

Replies

• txtree50
    Options
    I always try and drink 8 glasses.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    My trainer tells me to shoot for 1 gallon of water a day... (i never hit this amount), but you should always try to drink minimum 64oz of water a day.
  • gupton11
    Options
    I try to drink a glass before, during and after a meal, and at least a glass before bed. I drink water after each exercise at the gym.
  • dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You can also hurt yourself by drinking too much water. It has caused death. Try to keep to the 8 glasses per day, unless you've lost a lot of water through sweat. You need water to breakdown fat, so you need to stay hydrated. Just don't overdo it.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's relative to weight. Just think... if you weigh more, you require more fuel because you burn more calories just getting around... it's the same with water. I'm 5'4" and 160 rounded and I try to drink at least 96 oz. per day but feel my best when I drink 120 oz. Just find your sweet spot. I tell people and it's worked for me, divide your weight in half and drink that number in ounces, so for me it would be about 80 oz. I can drink 96 oz. and go to bed thirsty, which is why I try to shoot for 120.
  • kathleenpenrod
    kathleenpenrod Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My trainer tells me to shoot for 1 gallon of water a day... (i never hit this amount), but you should always try to drink minimum 64oz of water a day.

I agree - it normally ends up being about 60% of that. But the more water you drink , the less you hold on to toxins, fake foods (like fake sugar and msg) and the more you flush through waste.
  • slimmingsiobhan
    Options
    Thanks guys,

Aiming for my 8 glasses, I've got a bit of a headcold at the minute so I'm drinking a little more just didnt wanna overdo it :-) xx
  • Beebee78
    Options
    If you drink too much water you can essentially flood your body. 2-3 litres of water a day is sufficient for anyone xxx
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Try to drink 1/2 you body weight in ounces daily. If you weigh 200 lbs, aim for 100 oz.
  • precioustypeoflove
    Options
    You can also hurt yourself by drinking too much water. It has caused death. Try to keep to the 8 glasses per day, unless you've lost a lot of water through sweat. You need water to breakdown fat, so you need to stay hydrated. Just don't overdo it.

the only way it will cause death is if u drink it all right behind each other not giving ur body time to pump the water out dont scare nobody from drinking water if u dont know the facts ever 50 pound u are ove weight u drink another 8 glasses !!
  • TonyaR
    TonyaR Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My best friend is an EMT and when he found out I was doing this he told me to shoot for half my body weight in ounces of water, that is the ideal amount we should consume a day, but at least 8 glasses! Because too much water is just as bad for you as not enough! Had another friend get too much water a year or so ago and she said she actually felt drunk!
  • Lithuria
    Options
    Despite the hype about "too much water can kill you oh no!!!!" it's actually really really difficult to drink yourself to death when we're talking about water. However if you're really worried about it here is an interesting article:

http://drbenkim.com/drink-too-much-water-dangerous.html

I think the overall message is; be sensible. That poor woman who held her wee for a wii drank over two gallons in a short period of time. Your 8 glasses a day isn't going to do this to you, you have scope for more if you feel you need it!

As for it being relative to your weight loss, absoloutely, your metabolism requires water to function correctly, and just as you go into starvation mode if you do not eat enough calories you will go into drought mode if you do not get enough water, meaning your body will retain water like a sponge. Loose the spare water by making sure there's always a fresh supply around!