please help italian tonight

Options
Please Please Please can anyone help , iam going to a traditional Italian restaurant tonight with the parents
and do not want to seem rude by not eating much , I dont really like sea food but ok with prawns and any other type of fish
or meat can anyone help thank you x x x x

Replies

• onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Just skip the pasta, bread and salad dressing. I bring a tiny bottle of my own dressing.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie budget for the meal? This might help us make suggestions of what you could eat.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just skip the pasta, bread and salad dressing. I bring a tiny bottle of my own dressing.

sounds fun!
  • lindaland1
    lindaland1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Try to order something that is grilled or in a "garlic wine" sauce instead of a cream sauce. Load up on the salad! And drink lots of water. Lots of places will also let you modify your order to omit the pasta, especially when its something like a chicken parmesan that usually comes with a side of pasta.

Good luck! :)
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    If your parents will get ruded out by you not eating much cause you're on a diet not sure what kind of parents they are..

just explain that you're trying to lose weight and Italian restaurants aren't exactly conducive to that. if you ask for something like a grilled chicken breast and vegetables they will usually oblige.
  • waltervos
    Options
    Or you know, just enjoy a nice Italian dinner and realize that messing up one day isn't going to make *that* much of a difference in the grand scheme of things ;)
  • floop1207
    floop1207 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    you could skip the primo course altogether. pasta is not traditionally the ',main course' so maybe just have starter and second course which is usually meat or fish?
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'd just enjoy the one meal tbh, it's not going to make you gains weight if the rest of your diet is good!

However if you're really serious about it just order a salad as your main or order a child's portion of a healthier pasta dish like a seafood option?
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Why dont you look up the menu online, decide what you like and see if you can roughly calorie count the meals? Even if you go over, you know what you are going over by. I really wouldnt stress about it though. You can always make up for a treat day
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Eh...skip lunch, use the extra calories for a dinner splurge.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Chill. Most places have a healthy options menu.

Ask them to change half the pasta for vegetables. I went someplace once where they even had zucchini noodles. Other places I have had them take out half the pasta for steamed veggies.

Or order a salad and a pasta dish (if you like pasta), and take half the pasta dish home. If anyone asks why you say your filled up and it was so delicious you would like to have some for tomorrow.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Why dont you look up the menu online, decide what you like and see if you can roughly calorie count the meals? Even if you go over, you know what you are going over by. I really wouldnt stress about it though. You can always make up for a treat day

^this. If I'm going out I preplan what I'll have and probably skip a snack or 2 in the day to have spare calories later
  • nettyfox
    Options
    hi thanks for the response i have a budget of around 500 calories :)
  • nettyfox
    Options
    lol its my parents in-law thank you everyone for all your great ideas i am going to look at the menu on line
    really great ideas thank you so much x x x
  • nettyfox
    Options
    :smile: thank you for the food advice it was very good and i will be using it
  • daisygeep
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my first I had GD and had to be very careful about eating carbs. My ILs took us to a fancy Italian place for dinner one night and I was panic stricken. I looked online and I called ahead to ask a few questions - explaining to them my concern. I ended up having a salad and antipasti and then a veal picata with a nice veggie side. I let the bread and pasta sit. I was able to enjoy without destroying my healthy eating plan.
  • nettyfox
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my first I had GD and had to be very careful about eating carbs. My ILs took us to a fancy Italian place for dinner one night and I was panic stricken. I looked online and I called ahead to ask a few questions - explaining to them my concern. I ended up having a salad and antipasti and then a veal picata with a nice veggie side. I let the bread and pasta sit. I was able to enjoy without destroying my healthy eating plan.
  • nettyfox
    Options
    thank you daisy i will definitely ask them that sounds perfect x x x