Upping carbs and cutting down on fats.

Options
I've started running regularly and been advised about the percentage of carbs, fats and protein I should be eating. I eat too much fat and not enough Carbs :(
At least I know where I am going wrong...however correcting it will be difficult.....as I love 'fats'.

Am I the only in this predicament? Most people wanting to lose weight seem to want to cut out carbs. (which I love incidentaly) the only reason i keep my portions smaller is because of the calories but if I cut down on the fats I can have more of the nice carbs.

Sorry for the confused waffle ;)

Replies

• wesleycneill
    wesleycneill Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I sit on the fence in this particular controversy.

For health, fat is important and so are carbs. Anyone who tells me to cut out or significantly reduce either I tend to ignore. There are two many trend dieters out there. The fact of the matter is, we are omnivores by nature and that means getting calories from all three macro-nutrients.

I aim to get my body weight in protein each day, and about 30% of my macros are fats. This keeps my muscles from going catabolic during a caloric deficit. I want to burn fat but not lose the muscle I've earned in the gym.

The calories that are left over after hitting those two goals I usually make carbs. For me that ends up being 150 grams, give or take. I do a significant amount of cardio and weight training and I feel great.

That's just my personal experience speaking.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Read this thread to end your predicment. Its detailed so take your time. Just be make sure to calculate your TDEE from the 2 sites recommended.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i'm with you - i'm always over on fats and under on carbs.

i'm running atm and i'm not changing the way i eat. i prefer the fats. i hate the whole low-fat mentality where things taste worse just so you can eat more of them.

good luck with changing it up. i suppose, like anything, it will get easier as you get used to it :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how many calories do you net per day? setting your macros at 40/30/30 should give you enough of both carbs and fat?
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I sit on the fence in this particular controversy.

For health, fat is important and so are carbs. Anyone who tells me to cut out or significantly reduce either I tend to ignore. There are two many trend dieters out there. The fact of the matter is, we are omnivores by nature and that means getting calories from all three macro-nutrients.

I aim to get my body weight in protein each day, and about 30% of my macros are fats. This keeps my muscles from going catabolic during a caloric deficit. I want to burn fat but not lose the muscle I've earned in the gym.

The calories that are left over after hitting those two goals I usually make carbs. For me that ends up being 150 grams, give or take. I do a significant amount of cardio and weight training and I feel great.

That's just my personal experience speaking.

Exactly this . Balance is key . No need to go to extremes on a certain macro nutrient unless its a carb re-feed etc...
  • suvernscorpio
    suvernscorpio Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've opened my diary to the public. I try and eat back my calories when I exercise. Sometimes (weekends mainly) I go way over. I keep a steadyish weight and at 5'4 I weigh a smidge under 140Ibs. Ideally i would lose between 4 and 7 Ibs but to be honest...i am more interested in being fit and toned and hope the rest falls into place.

I have always been against diets....I was brought up to try and keep away from crap (homemade cakes being my downfall plus alcohol) and that butter and sugar are fine in moderation. Like I said...I am a carb lover too but the running website I was looking at recently suggested my ratio of carbs/proteins/fats were wrong.

This is what my goal is set out now. That's fat, carbs and protein amounts according to a running website as opposed to MFP guides.

Remaining 1,200 180 27 60 24 2,500
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sugar Sodium
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I've opened my diary to the public. I try and eat back my calories when I exercise. Sometimes (weekends mainly) I go way over. I keep a steadyish weight and at 5'4 I weigh a smidge under 140Ibs. Ideally i would lose between 4 and 7 Ibs but to be honest...i am more interested in being fit and toned and hope the rest falls into place.

I have always been against diets....I was brought up to try and keep away from crap (homemade cakes being my downfall plus alcohol) and that butter and sugar are fine in moderation. Like I said...I am a carb lover too but the running website I was looking at recently suggested my ratio of carbs/proteins/fats were wrong.

This is what my goal is set out now. That's fat, carbs and protein amounts according to a running website as opposed to MFP guides.

Remaining 1,200 180 27 60 24 2,500
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sugar Sodium

if you only have a couple of lbs to lose and want to be 'fit and toned' then you should be eatign more than 1200 cals...

work out your TDEE with all the running, and then take off 10%

plus add in some strength/resistance training for the 'toning'
  • suvernscorpio
    Options
    Thank you for your input everyone. I will read that report fully later :smile:
  • wesleycneill
    wesleycneill Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I would say if your primary focus is running and fitness, not weight loss or gain, then a few extra calories from carbs may be beneficial. As a college track and cross country runner, carbohydrates were very necessary to maintaining my energy levels at practice and races. Keep in mind, I didn't care about my six-pack like I do now. I was fast as hell but nowhere near as aesthetic as I am now. Fitness and weight loss do not necessarily go hand in hand.

Also, toning only occurs two ways: Fat loss or muscle gain. The higher the muscle to fat ratio is, the more toned your body will look. So if you want to be "toned" you will have to focus on weight loss, and building muscle, which is a whole other topic. There is no such thing as selectively fat burning. Doing a million sit-ups per day will not give you a flat tummy. It will make you strong, but those strong abs will still be hidden under a layer of fat. Fat loss is a process that happens, generally, at the same time all over your body. That's the only way to truly get toned.
  • suvernscorpio
    Options
    I am reading this thinking...okay confused now.

I do a bit of everything and it's all very on and off. i do some light weights, do some squats, sit ups and planks when I feel like it...go through stages of Wii Zumba....row my Concept2 but now really enjoying the treadmill.
    I really need to write up a bit of an exercise program I think and certainly read all the above information which I am grateful of you sharing. I like hearing others opinions on exercise and nutrition and what works for them :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I am reading this thinking...okay confused now.

I do a bit of everything and it's all very on and off. i do some light weights, do some squats, sit ups and planks when I feel like it...go through stages of Wii Zumba....row my Concept2 but now really enjoying the treadmill.
    I really need to write up a bit of an exercise program I think and certainly read all the above information which I am grateful of you sharing. I like hearing others opinions on exercise and nutrition and what works for them :smile:

well, as a comparrison, i am 5ft5, 130something pounds, and i eat NET 1800 cals to lose a little bodyfat - which is essentially what 'toning up' is.

and i am doing insanity as exercise at the moment!