How long did it take for you to start to love running?

Options
13»

Replies

• sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    It took about 3 months of dedicated running to "fall in love". But just like falling in love with a person, you don't always LIKE or FEEL GOOD about every run.

In fact, I posted a topic in the forums on Sunday. . . Snapshot of a REAL run...Not all sunshine and roses.

I'm up to training for a full marathon and I had the crappiest run in a long time this past weekend. CRAPPY! I did not LOVE that run. But, I love running. So, I laced up on M/W and I'll lace up tomorrow and Sunday and keep pursuing my passion.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    How long did it take me to love to run? 62 years x 365 days. sooooooooo maybe tomorrow is the day

As a child, girls did not run, we were told it was not LADY LIKE
    At 30 - 50, I did not make time to run, Thus I ate and ate
    At 300 pounds I could not run
    At 62 now and 122 pounds less, I run because I can
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Now I don't want to run marathons, or even 10K's necessarily, but a 5K would be nice. Okay, maybe a 10K down the road, eventually..., but first things first. I just don't want it to be a chore each and every time, that's what I'm hoping for. I do like cycling though and do that as well.

Cycling is fantastic aerobic activity, no shame in cutting back a bit on running and replacing it with cycling.

Plus, once we get in shape, 5km is something that can be knocked off in 20 minutes. That's practically a sprint. :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Hate running.

Walk, it's actually better for you.

Really? Evidence? How is walking better? If your talking about running hurting knees.... then you are wrong.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I think we need to learn to pace ourselves.

I am on week 4 of a running program. When i go with the others I have to slow myself down as I have a bit faster pace. And I love it.

When I go alone, I hate it. Im out of breathe, my legs are killing me, IM DYING! lol

So I think you have to start slow, or else you wont LEARN TO LOVE IT!

Went for a run lastnight.. and Im already thinknig about the next time I can get a run in!!!!!! >.<
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I started to tolerate it after a few months, but since discovering speed rope I never bother with running unless I'm in a hurry to get somewhere on foot. Maybe I'll run to a park to hook up my trx.
  • Patrick0321
    Patrick0321 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Would never say I love running, but I like the feeling of finishing a run. No matter how far or for how long you go for, the feeling once you've finished (stopped blowing like a whale) is still a good feeling
  • Petefry1
    Petefry1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Running is fun when you're fit for whatever level of running your aiming for. Getting fit to run sucks, especially if you've lost the running fitness, know what you can do, and are trying to get back there.
    You'll find running more fun by running with friends - especially similar paced friends so you can push each other, and also by running events.
    To keep motivated to keep running and maintain running fitness I have a program of regular events every few months or so.
    I do love both participating in, and the achievement of finishing events.
    Some runs are better than others, and I do love the good ones. But even the bad runs you hate will still give you a sense of achievement of having completed them.
    Good luck with building up your running fitness. Stick with it, because it will be fun eventually.
  • TammyW18
    TammyW18 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The first time you have a "floating" run, you'll get it.

Even seasoned runners don't love every run...there's good ones and bad ones, but the floating ones are so good they make the bad ones worth all of it. You feel weightless and strong and fast and just generally awesome.

^^^this

Also I find too that when I can't run...I miss it :) ...in the summer the outdoors is my gym in the winter i must go to the gym...I never miss the gym
  • FancyGirl7
    FancyGirl7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Truth be told, I RARELY love to run. It's just the necessary evil required to complete a triathlon! Hahaha! That being said, I LOVE to run in the rain along the Trinity River. There's just something magical about it. :)
  • bnorris2013
    bnorris2013 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have always wanted to be a runner but I always to big to be a runner After having lost over 50 lbs I decided if I can be on the elliptical for a hour I can certainly train for a 5k and I am enjoying every second of it

I am using the c25k run my breathing has definantly gotten better the only thing bothers me is when i am running sometimes my legs start hurting not like a bad hurt but a hey your running hurt but this just tells me i am getting better because i used to get this at 30 seconds of running now its over a minute before i feel this so my body is conditioning itself and i am loving it
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    52 years, and counting... lol:laugh:
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I have been running/walking for 8 years now. Wow...I didn't realize it had been that long until just this minute when i really thought about it. It was almost 7 years ago when I did my first Half Marathon. I always put in the miles that I needed to train for whatever race(s) I had coming up and I was usually ok with doing what I was scheduled to do. It wasn't until I dropped 60+ pounds and tipping over into the side where I run more than I walk that I almost look forward to it, but still can't say I "love" it. In the past year, I have taken almost 2 minutes off my average per mile time and I am proud of that. The longest I have ever run non stop is only 3.5 miles and I can't do that consistently. I think when (if) the day comes that I can keep running without walking (even though I do realize that right now that is probably more of a mental block for me than physical), i will start to actually love it. For now I can say that I am proud of myself and my progress.
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    I only started running when I was age 38 to knock off weight gain that would no longer budge with brisk walking. I felt forced that it was the only way, and for about 5 months it was torture. I literally would run for 5 minutes at a time and then take a break to walk. I did this until I could run straight for 30 to 40 minutes.

As my fitness and cardiovascular improved, I felt great. I would get running "highs" and became hooked. I would want to run every day possible, usually for 30 to 40 minutes as part of my lunch break from work. I started running 5k's and Warrior Dashes and felt amazing.

So, it sounds like you are starting small like I did - but stick with it until you hit the good stuff- endorphins! We carry our own mood enhancing drugs - we just have to kick start them! : )
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Runnning sucks...it's boring. That's why I ride a bike.:wink:
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have never been a runner. I was walking as a form of exercise but was getting bored with it. I downloaded a C25K app and completed it in 12 weeks. It motivated me and gave me a goal to accomplish. I did it all on the treadmill inside. When I moved outside I started having problems. I have been told that I have exercise induced asthma and now have an inhaler that I use before I run. I love how accomplished I feel after I have finished the run. I usually wish I stayed in bed at the start of it. I want to absolutely love it. But for me, I don't think that will happen until my lungs cooperate. I end up stopping because of my breathing...my legs want to keep going. :grumble:
  • itcanbedone13
    Options
    bump
  • Perixi
    Perixi Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I want to love it, I'm working hard at it and setting myself targets and I am getting better at it. When I hit a new distance I feel awesome and it makes it worthwhile.