Scared of personal trainers..:-O

Options
So...I know that I need much motivation to work out my body...and so I do have a Gym membership. that i rarely use. but they call me, asking if I want to go forward with having a personal trainer...but here is my thing...I"m scrurd:-( ...I don't want a trainer to push me when i don't feel like I can do it..

my question is....what kind of PT, will let me? and not go hard at first..I just can't do it...and I don't want to eat a thousand plus calories at the advice of my trainer. I know my body, and anything over 900-1000 cals and i will gain unwanted weight.

but ....I am super scared to get a trainer...because they are going to be super mean with work outs...because that is their jobs...

whatever...I'm going to just work out at home.

PT's are mean, don't care about what i think my body can do...and they are sucky! :-)

Replies

• lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Do you have a friend that does strength training? I was intimidated to get a personal trainer, so I've started having my husband "train" me. Now that I have some idea of what I am doing, I might actually get a trainer at the gym, b/c I am more confident that I will be able to do what they tell me to do.
  • VaneenHarra
    VaneenHarra Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Do you have a friend that does strength training? I was intimidated to get a personal trainer, so I've started having my husband "train" me. Now that I have some idea of what I am doing, I might actually get a trainer at the gym, b/c I am more confident that I will be able to do what they tell me to do.

unfortunately I don't have a friend in training...lol. and so I am so scared to get a trainer :-/
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Well, if you only want to work out when you want to work out and do what you want to do and eat the amount you want to eat...why would you want a personal trainer? You're already accomplishing your goals!

Don't let the gym pressure you. Hiring a trainer is not "moving forward." It's simply hiring a trainer and not everyone wants or needs one.
  • VaneenHarra
    VaneenHarra Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well, if you only want to work out when you want to work out and do what you want to do and eat the amount you want to eat...why would you want a personal trainer? You're already accomplishing your goals!

Don't let the gym pressure you. Hiring a trainer is not "moving forward." It's simply hiring a trainer and not everyone wants or needs one.

yes...but I do sometimes think that I need one a ( PT)...as long as they don't push me beyond or too fast with what I think I can do! I hired one 3 years ago, and I was annoyed that he had me lifting certain weights so soon. I totally never came back lol.

anywho...thanks for responding...I'm going to bed now ( I will work out at home tomorrow, I suppose:-0)

g-night:smile:
  • lulz14
    lulz14 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Tell the gym what kind of trainer you want.

They will have a range of trainers available. Some will be the macho, push weights, push you until you die etc., but every gym will have the "nice" trainers. Best bet is to call the gym, explain what sort of trainer you'd like, and they can recommend someone.
  • excitedaboutfitness
    excitedaboutfitness Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I know that I am pretty not into the idea of a personal trainer - I've tried a few times, and I don't enjoy it. I figured out that if I don't enjoy a work-out, then I'm unlikely to do it.

I ended up compromising on my gym's fitness classes, and doing the same workouts in a room with a bunch of other people! The fact that everyone is doing it around you helps push you to want to complete it well, and I find it way more fun than personal training sessions :-)
  • kanstroud
    kanstroud Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been working out with a personal trainer for three years and he is great. We talk through what I want to achieve and set goals. His workouts are specifically geared to my needs, and take into account my weak spots. We talk about nutrition but he doesn't insist on making huge changes to my diet. I always say that my trainer is part trainer and part therapist as I always feel so much better after our sessions.

Choosing a trainer is like buying a car, you need to test drive a few to ensure you get what you need.
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    So...I know that I need much motivation to work out my body...and so I do have a Gym membership. that i rarely use. but they call me, asking if I want to go forward with having a personal trainer...but here is my thing...I"m scrurd:-( ...I don't want a trainer to push me when i don't feel like I can do it..

my question is....what kind of PT, will let me? and not go hard at first..I just can't do it...and I don't want to eat a thousand plus calories at the advice of my trainer. I know my body, and anything over 900-1000 cals and i will gain unwanted weight.

but ....I am super scared to get a trainer...because they are going to be super mean with work outs...because that is their jobs...

whatever...I'm going to just work out at home.

PT's are mean, don't care about what i think my body can do...and they are sucky! :-)

Sounds to me like you are scared of change, if your not willing to push yourself, how will you go about getting the dream body you want. you need to work hard to get it.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've made up your mind about a subject you have no real experience with.

Will random comments from anonymous people on the internet significantly change your mind?

Perhaps you can take a free introductory offer/session and see what you think? Then you've lost nothing (apart from your irrational fear of the unknown, of course)

ETA if you are taller than 3ft then eating more than 900 cals will not make you gain weight. I'm sorry, but you're an idiot.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    You have to eat more hun. 900-1000 calories a day is not healthy.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't get a trainer. It sounds like you don't want to work out, eat, listen to proper advice, or push yourself. You'd be wasting the trainer's time.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    You should be scared of personal trainers, because most of them are full of it, and are just there to sell you more lessons or something else. Avoid them like the plague.
  • Jengoingdown
    Jengoingdown Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't hurt to give it a try. You may need just that little extra push, you know someone to keep you accountable. If it doesn't work out, at least you gave it a shot.
    Good luck and wishing you well.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    You don't need a trainer. You can do everything yourself.

If anything, trainers are clueless anyway.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    First of all, as a personal trainer I resent a lot of the above comments. I worked very hard to earn the degree in exercise science that I have, I work hard to have the body that I have (I've lost 50lbs and kept if off, so no I'm not genetically gifted in the muscle/skinny department), I take the time to listen to my clients and put in a lot of time to create a customized program to help them reach their goals and stay within their current limits and mindset. Yes I'm going to push you, but I'm also not going to push you into something you're clearly not mentally ready to do, even if I know that physically you can handle it. The trainer/client relationship is as much a mental and emotional balance as it is fitness and nutrition. I always try to let you know the reasoning behind why I'm having you do something, and I work hard to incorporate things that you like to do rather than cookie cutter workouts. And when I give you something that you don't really care for, if I'm persistent about it there is a reason (usually to combat mucle imbalances or prior injuries). Also, yes, I do this for a job so training is what pays my bills so of course I'm going to want you to buy sessions. HOWEVER, not all of us are in it to make a quick buck. I happen to really enjoy helping people reach their goals, and I've found that having successful clients leads to new clients and word of mouth can make or break you.

That being said, there are a lot of trainers out there that try to push their clients (some of them I've known to make it into sort of a game "how can I make them throw up") I know there are trainers that do give cookie cutter workouts and have the 45 year old woman with a knee replacement do the same workout that he has the 18 year old athlete do. These trainers are what gives the rest of us a bad name. I can't tell you how many people that I've talked to that told me their trainer hurt them, and it makes me really angry and really sad. The fitness indursty is not very well regulated and you get a lot of people that think that since they love to workout and are in good shape that they can train too, and it's not that simple. A lot of commercial gyms are all about how much money the trainer can bring in. They don't look at whether the trainer knows what they're doing, and has successful clients, but how many packages they can sell.

For anyone who is looking for a trainer I have some advice:

1) meet them in person- tell them what your goals are, see if you're personalities mesh well, see if they have the same mindset as you (i.e. if you really like to run, it's a bad idea to train with a trainer that doesn't believe in running)

2) find out what their certification is- is it a reputable company or an online training course from Joe Schmoe trainer incorporated? Good, reputable companies are ACSM and ACE. NASM is ok but if you can I would be picky. Is personal trainer the only certification they have? do they have a degree in exercise science or health science?

3) Do they listen to you- here's where the cookie cutter workout comes in. Ask them what a typical workout will consist of, see if it lines up with your goals. Ask them what accomodations they can make for injuries etc. If they don't have an answer or won't take the time to answer your questions before you pay then don't bother spending your money.

4) Be picky- you're spending your hard earned money on a service that is going to bring you to your goals. Be picky, if you don't mesh well with a trainer, don't feel like you have to buy sessions with them. Think it over if you need to. Meet with different trainers and see who works the best with you and your goals. A good trainer, like a good massage therapist will know when to refer out, and will pass you along to someone who can help you if they truely don't think they can get you to your goals.

We're not all scary and mean. Some of us truely love helping people and work hard to stay up to speed in the current information.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

this right here... is wrong. You're entire mentality is based on something that is a notion/assumption you have created in your own head and not based in reality.

Their job is to HELP you. Push you? Yes Give you motivation? Yes! Encourage you? YES... but it isn't to be mean. How do you get repeat business if you are constantly mean to your clients? There are some people who KNOW nothing- and they want to be trained/coached. Others need to be pushed- they are willing to work hard- but they NEED to be pushed- that's WHY they pay for training.

You should be scared of personal trainers, because most of them are full of it, and are just there to sell you more lessons or something else. Avoid them like the plague.

or something else? like what? What else do they sell?

Most trainers don't even DO the selling- they have a sales staff for that.

If anything, trainers are clueless anyway.
    some of them- for sure. There is a guy at my gym who has them doing weird walking half lunges with over head curl press- it's awful.
    Another trainer is excellent- proper form- focus on slow controlled movement and breathing- very well educated an takes his job VERY seriously.

Not all trainers are alike. Coaches and trainers serve a purpose. And there will always be sub-par trainers- trainers who don't care. Who are hired because they look like they are are in shape and happen to be near by. But there are people who take their job seriously- who continually try to educate themselves and genuinely want to help people. Do not lump them ALL into the same group. That's just ignorant.

OP- if you want training because you feel you need a little more education- by all means- take the free lesson. Tell them you are hesitant about a few things- and don't want to do a cardio based workout- but would rather stick to strength training with free weights or barbells rather than machines.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Lame...
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I've considered getting a personal trainer, but it's a LOT of money (at least for me being a student - even purchasing a gym membership outside of my school where it's included in my tuition is a little too much for my measly income). That's my only real reason for not doing it. That and gyms make me nervous, but that's because I've had very little gym experience and don't want to go in having no idea what I'm doing.

I agree with what some of the other have said - it seems that you fear the change more than the trainer themselves. I know that if I do ever end up getting a PT, they WILL push me hard and they WILL make me sweat, and they probably WILL piss me off from time to time when I don't want to be there - but that's the point! I want one to push me because I'm not very good at pushing myself, and if you can't push yourself, well.....you probably won't lose the weight you want.