Eat to live book

Options
lkgarza
lkgarza Posts: 56 Member
Hi, anyone else reading or working out of the Eat To Live, J. Fuhrman book? I JUST got it and am going to start reading it. Any tips or groups I should be in on here or any one want to be friends to support each other!?

Thanks!

Replies

• boatstop
    boatstop Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have actually read it a few times over the past few years. I had my second baby in April, so I am working at chipping away at this baby weight (15 lbs to go). I had been scared to get too serious about it because I am nursing, and I was worried about my supply. I feel very confident in my supply now, so I am trying the 6 week plan.

A few weeks ago, I did it hardcore for like 3 days, and I felt fantastic. Looking forward to feeling that way again. I am now aiming to do it about 90%, and I am obviously not perfect (see coffee with half&half and wine).

I'd love some ETL friends. I need ideas on what else to eat :)
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm loosely following his plan, feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like :)
  • MissFitt2
    MissFitt2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started on Monday and I am feeling fantastic! I was feeling so sluggish, tired and blah prior to starting. Now I feel energized and mentally sharper. I've also lost a bit over 5 lbs in 4 days!

I've been following it mostly, but have a few cheats here and there.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Also, another really good book is Vegan for Her, by Virginia Messina, MPH, RD. I liked it even better than Eat to Live, since she really gets into a lot of issues that are unique to women and how diet plays a role in those things. I also liked how she doesn't have any of the 'zealousness' that pops up in most books that promote a whole foods, plant based diet. While Fuhrman is pretty mild compared to people like Dr. McDougal, Dr. Campell etc, he still pushes his plan as the optimal way of eating for best way to lose weight and health. Messina steers clear of that and lays out the actual facts from the various legit studies that have been done/are ongoing and presents them in an objective way that's a breath of fresh air :)

She does have an eating plan and it's pretty similar to Fuhrmans, but she doesn't promise that you'll lose a bunch of weight or never get cancer. She does give you lots of great information though, that you can use to make your own conclusions about this way of eating. Vegan for Her is actually probably the best book I've read so far on the topic of a whole foods, plant based diet (and I've read just about all of them lol). Anyways, Eat to Live is a great book, but I'd also recommend reading Vegan for Her if you're a woman :)