do-not-starve mode?

Options
Hello folks.

Sorry if my english sounds a bit strange sometimes, but I am german. :-)

Once I was a 22 years old, 188cm tall, 85kg "light" guy. I ate up to 2 big pizzas per day and gained no weight. My metabolism seemed to burn food as soon as I ate it. I was never cold and never ill but I sweated the whole night, even in winter.

Then one week I had a special training at the army where I had to kill and prepare my own chicken. A few days later I got very ill with seizures and I felt dizzy.
I was brought to a clinic where they put me to a drip. They said the chicken had salmonella, causing a meat poisoning and an intestinal blockage. I was not allowed to eat or drink anything during that time and only got some medicine.
My blood pressure, temperature and pulse went down from day to day.

My weight had dropped to 72kg in 5 days. The doctor who made an ultrasonic test told me that in my whole body there was no fat left and that he had never seen anything like that before. He called 3 more medics and gave them a presentation of my inner organs that could normally not be seen.

When I reached a temp. of 35 degrees celsius and a pulse of 22 per minute(!) they examined me with 3 medics one after another because they could not believe the results. I got very upset and told them that they let me die.
After that I was transfered to another clinic where they gave me something to eat - 5 pieces of rusk and tea. After two days I found a snack bar and ate 2 hamburgers per day, together with chocolate and nougat that my mom brought me. I managed to gain weight until I felt normal again.

From that time on I obviously gained weight. I was shocked when at age 30 I checked my weight for the first time in years on a public scale and weighted over 100kg. And now I could see a belly forming under my shirt.
I started to eat less but I gained weight until I was at 120kg (age 40) with a big belly. Arms, legs, face all were in normal shape, only my belly was like a medicine ball.
I got that food pyramid made of paper where I could see how many carbohydrate, fat and protein I should eat if I wanted to loose weight. I never managed to eat enough(!) to match the specification, but being 48 years old now I reached 130kg.
My doc tells me that I have adiposity, but the only thing he suggests is to ride the bicycle. I do not believe that burning a few more calories is the solution.

By now I am sure that those years ago my body "thought" that I would starve and switched some settings to make sure this never happens again. I read about fat loving bacteria that grow in your stomach under certain conditions and produce fat no matter what you eat or do. You cannot loose fat with these little *kitten*. And then there are forms of hypersensitivity to food and food additives that block the normal digestion process.

Unfortunately examinations for these problems are expensive and I cannot afford them right now. But soon as I can I will do them and find out what is wrong.

Any thoughts about all that? :-)

Regards
Thomas

Replies

• spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any input, and I've never heard of these stomach bacteria that prevent one from losing weight--not sure if that's true. But you certainly have a unique story!
  • RichardFL
    Options
    The stomach bacteria is normal. Obese people often have more of them than non-obese people. The way you avoid those bacteria producing fat is by not feeding them refined sugar, alcohol, etc. If you want, you can even take a probiotic. You can absolutely lose fat while these stomach bacteria exist. They don't even impact the basic formula of calories in versus calories out, and only impact how energy is stored in your body.

There are indeed hypersensitivities to food that can block digestion. That's a description of food intolerance. If you have any such intolerance to food, you may just say you are allergic to the food. Allergies mean you have an immediate and severe reaction from even a tiny amount. Intolerance means you might have stomach pain, constipation or diarrhea, and other digestive issues as your body tries to digest the food. Just avoid foods that make you feel sick, and you'll be fine.

Burning more calories, and eating fewer calories is absolutely the solution to adiposity or obesity. You should also eat a healthy mix of fat, protein, and carbs.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Start tracking all of your food intake accurately for a week or so and see how much you really are eating. From there you should be able to see the problem. Exercise may help because you will be burning off some calories but likely your food intake is more than you think.
  • CandelLife
    CandelLife Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    This post sounds legit but then you say your doctor diagnosed you with adiposity and you go on as if you never looked that word up before... leads me to wonder how legit your topic is....

www.merriam-webster.com/medical/adiposity‎

adiposity. ad·i·pos·i·ty. noun \ˌad-ə-ˈpäs-ət-ē\. plural ad·i·pos·i·ties. Definition of ADIPOSITY. : the quality or state of being fat : obesity