Low(er)-calorie foods that we couldn't live without...

Options

Replies

• xquiz8
    xquiz8 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Great thread!

Low fat string cheese
    Red Delicious apples
    Air-popped popcorn
    Dark chocolate
    Grapes
    1% milk
    Plain oatmeal packets
    Eggs

I'm a fan of foods I can pick at while sitting at my desk at work, and milk helps fill me up during a meal so I end up eating less.
  • jlred1
    Options
    No Pudge Brownie Mix....yummy warm brownies made with the mix and no-fat yogurt. I add nuts and some fat free whipped cream....to die for!

Popcorn for the crunch attacks!!!

Whole Almonds for crunch too...plus they are an essential daily food group and they curb the appetite too!
  • rscott813
    rscott813 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP and love the great low calorie snack ideas!
  • natashaaevans
    natashaaevans Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    A guy at work is also dieting, though in a more extreme way than me - he did the whole 7 days with nothing passing his lips except meat...I worry for his liver but it seemed to help kickstart his loss! Anyway, it's been good to have someone else in my staff room resisting all the temptations at morning tea and lunchtime - I would describe the women in my staffroom as group emotional eaters, the kind the are always talking about the diets that they're on (boring!) but then go and buy a huge parcel of hot chips and eat nothing else for lunch!!

Anyway, my fellow dieter and I have laughing cow cheese as a staple in the fridge - we jokingly call it "fat person" cheese. Love it.

I also just got turned onto skinny cow ice cream bars..

I love cows! :)
  • sgp329
    sgp329 Posts: 184
    Options
    I am a "bread head" so one staple for me is Nature's Own 35 calorie per slice bread. It has a nice texture and tastes great.

A few other staples in our kitchen these days:
    Bananas, apples, oranges
    Salad stuff... really loving fresh mushrooms and broccoli lately
    Boneless skinless chicken breasts... George Foreman grilled with various seasonings
    Popcorn for snack attacks
    Fresh veggies
    Equal for my coffee
    and for those hectic mornings when breakfast would generally be skipped I grab a Solo cup and pour in one cup of cereal with 1/2 cup of 1% milk

For days when I need to boost up my caloric intake... toast with real peanut butter (so delicious) or a crunchy granola bar.

I am also a big fan of pasta, which is sad since the options are all high cal. I have learned of shirataki noodles lately, but none of our local grocery stores carry them. Also checked in an Asian grocery store and they don't have them either. May order online in the near future. Has anyone tried them?
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Shirataki noodles sound interesting, I hope someone has some feedback on them! Though I'm not sure if I could find them here anyway!

Must have snacks in our house:

Organic yogurt
    Kiwis (only 42 calories each!)
    a glass of flavored milk (bad, I know! Sorry!)
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Asian markets usually have them, but you can order them online, I don't know where you live, but the tofu type are manufactured in California and there is a website called Miracle Noodle for the other kind. There is also the LoCarb Grocery, out of Toronto. But if you are from the United States for sure easier for you to get them within the U.S.
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Has anyone found greek yogourt in Canada, I even went to a Greek market and they had no idea what I was after. It sounds like something I would really like.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I found no sugar added fudgcicles that only have 40 cals.! They are really good - my daughter even likes them!
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    Dencrossgirl,

I came across Liberte plain greek yogurt, 0% fat at Sobey's in Alberta yesterday. I tried it, and couldn't tell the difference between that and the Balkan style yogurt I had been buying. It was good, though! I like to serve the plain yogurt with salmon as a 'sauce' with no add-ins.

Another low fat snack I can't live without: Bles-Wold flavoured yogurts! So incredibly yummy! I think they are only available in AB, and hard to find at that! I can get it at our local Sobey's, but tried one in Edmonton and they didn't carry it!
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    Mixed Nuts! sometimes I have that as my snack between lunch and dinner
    Peanut Butter! I have a big weakness for PB so I really have to watch how much I eat. Half a ping-pong ball is about 1TBS, so I try to stay at 1 or 2 TBS

Celery + PB is a very good snack for me!
  • lethalbanana
    lethalbanana Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm super hooked on jello! Also the low sugar instant oatmeal is the perfect breakfast, quick and easy and keeps my full way longer than toast or cereal. I've also gotten some of those cinnamon sugar graham crackers for a sweet, crunchy snack.
  • elloradannon
    Options
    VITA-TOPS!!! They are delicious, 100 calories, 1.5 g of fat and FULL of vitamins and minerals. If you haven't tried them, you must! They sell them at Costco
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    VITA-TOPS!!! They are delicious, 100 calories, 1.5 g of fat and FULL of vitamins and minerals. If you haven't tried them, you must! They sell them at Costco

I don't think I've ever heard of them... what are they? A cracker?
  • bushman124
    bushman124 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My favs are: weight watches toffee crunch icecream bars (100 cal), fiber one keylime pie yogurt, dlish (50 cal), light wheat thins with french onion laughing cow cheese, grapes, shrimp, pepperidge farm cinnamin swirl bread (80 cal).
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I am a "bread head" so one staple for me is Nature's Own 35 calorie per slice bread. It has a nice texture and tastes great.

A few other staples in our kitchen these days:
    Bananas, apples, oranges
    Salad stuff... really loving fresh mushrooms and broccoli lately
    Boneless skinless chicken breasts... George Foreman grilled with various seasonings
    Popcorn for snack attacks
    Fresh veggies
    Equal for my coffee
    and for those hectic mornings when breakfast would generally be skipped I grab a Solo cup and pour in one cup of cereal with 1/2 cup of 1% milk

For days when I need to boost up my caloric intake... toast with real peanut butter (so delicious) or a crunchy granola bar.

I am also a big fan of pasta, which is sad since the options are all high cal. I have learned of shirataki noodles lately, but none of our local grocery stores carry them. Also checked in an Asian grocery store and they don't have them either. May order online in the near future. Has anyone tried them?

I did. they weren't for me. They had a slight fishy taste (ew) and a strange rubbery texture. Even though they are almost no calories, I tossed them. But I'm a picky eater about textures, so take it with a grain of salt. Lots of people do like them, so you might give it a go...
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

I don't think I've ever heard of them... what are they? A cracker?

I think it is more like the top of a muffin. They are chocolate and they look like a flat-ish muffin top. Sort of cake-like?
  • Amara15
    Amara15 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bump- i'm going to have to make my grocery list from this thread!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE the Tuscan Herb Wheat Thin Flatbreads! I made pesto a couple weeks ago and the flat bread was PERFECT for the pesto. SO, so tasty. :bigsmile:
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Has anyone found greek yogourt in Canada, I even went to a Greek market and they had no idea what I was after. It sounds like something I would really like.

I'm in Canada and I found it at Fortino's [Loblaws]. I didn't like it. I bought the Chiobani brand. It was like regular Balkan yogurt. I bought another brand - Skotidakis - it was WAY too thick and it put me in mind of eating cream cheese straight out of the container.

I found these by contacting the companies directly and asking where they sell it in Toronto. Try doing that. It's worth it - I got huge lists from each company.