How much cardio after strength training?

Options
So finally at the age of 30 I've had the epiphany that as a woman I need to strength train in order to get toned and it will not make me bulky. SO, I'm switching up my workouts. I currently go to the gym 3 times a week. I was doing an hour of cardio and then working about an hour or so on the machines and doing light weights. Now after joining this website and some internet research I've learned I have to do more heavy lifting and squats, lunges, etc. to get a nice toned body. So I'm going to do strength training first for about 45 minutes and then cardio. My question is how much cardio should I be doing if I go 3 times a week? I've read an hour may be too much.

Thanks for you help guys!

Replies

• MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    20-30 minutes of intervals is what I've been recommended and like myself.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I do 45 minutes to an hour of lifting followed by 30-45 minutes of swimming depending on if it's a distance day or sprint day.

Rigger
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Intervals are best, 5 or 6 all out 30 to 45 second sprints should do the trick. If you don't like that, steady state is fine, as long as you'd like really, not necessarily a time limit
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT twice a week on days between strength training, and as much easy cardio as I want to do, any day at all.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    After I lift, I do 15-20 min of interval cardio or I will do 10 min of HIIT. The exception is leg day were I will do no cardio.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I do about 30 minutes of cardio after strength training. Seems to work for me.
  • grantdumas7
    Options
    So finally at the age of 30 I've had the epiphany that as a woman I need to strength train in order to get toned and it will not make me bulky. SO, I'm switching up my workouts. I currently go to the gym 3 times a week. I was doing an hour of cardio and then working about an hour or so on the machines and doing light weights. Now after joining this website and some internet research I've learned I have to do more heavy lifting and squats, lunges, etc. to get a nice toned body. So I'm going to do strength training first for about 45 minutes and then cardio. My question is how much cardio should I be doing if I go 3 times a week? I've read an hour may be too much.

Thanks for you help guys!
    This has been said many times when women are worried about getting bulky. It's not going to happen unless you eat a caloric surplus and even then it will limited. Remember women don't produce enough testosterone to get too bulky or build that much muscle.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    There is no way that I could do both HIIT and strength training on the same day, and do justice to both of them.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    There is no way that I could do both HIIT and strength training on the same day, and do justice to both of them.

Word.

I split my strength/non-strength days. That way I can do them the justice they deserve.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    3 days a week I do strength training. My routine is about 60 min. Just for a calorie burn those days I usually walk the treadmill or stationary bike for 30 min.
    3 days a week I do HIIT on the elliptical for 35-60 min depending on how hard I push myself. Started the c25k program, had to stop due to shin splints but planning on restarting. This will replace my HIIT workouts until I can run 5k, then I plan on mixing it up, HIIT and running.
  • grantdumas7
    Options
    It's hard but doable. I am not hitting legs the same day and it's only for 10 min or even less sometimes.
  • grantdumas7
    Options
    3 days a week I do strength training. My routine is about 60 min. Just for a calorie burn those days I usually walk the treadmill or stationary bike for 30 min.
    3 days a week I do HIIT on the elliptical for 35-60 min depending on how hard I push myself. Started the c25k program, had to stop due to shin splints but planning on restarting. This will replace my HIIT workouts until I can run 5k, then I plan on mixing it up, HIIT and running.
    You can't do true HIIT on a treadmil, let alone for 35-60 min. The high intensity part is an all out sprint or all out peddle on the bike. You have to think that either a lion is chasing you, you are running the 100 or 200 meter dash or you are on a bike and less than 300 meters from the finish line.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I don't do cardio on strenghth training days since I started doing a full-body program. I can't get much done after squatting or deadlifting heavy. So I alternate.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options

Word.

I split my strength/non-strength days. That way I can do them the justice they deserve.

Same here.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I've done Prowler after Squats. I don't see the issue.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I do my lifting early morning. Follow it up right away with about half an hour of laps in the pool. In the late afternoon I'll do an hour on the bike (currently ~22km). Both are done at "steady" pace, not intervals.
  • BEEUK
    BEEUK Posts: 113
    Options

QTF.

You end up performing less well on one or both workouts. I do Cardio on my non Strength days. usually 45 minutes intense or as long as i want on steady.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    You can't do true HIIT on a treadmil, let alone for 35-60 min. The high intensity part is an all out sprint or all out peddle on the bike. You have to think that either a lion is chasing you, you are running the 100 or 200 meter dash or you are on a bike and less than 300 meters from the finish line.

I don't do HIIT on a treadmill. I said I walk treadmill after lifting just for some extra calorie burn. I do HIIT on the elliptical, and yes I've done up to 55 min going all out on heavy resistance for 90 second intervals followed by 2 min of recovery.
    When I start back up with c25k, that will replace what I am doing on the elliptical.
  • grantdumas7
    Options
    I believe weight training and HIIT done back to back comes down to calories and carbs. If a person is eating a calorie deficit diet and trains on an empty stomach or consumes say less than .2 grams of carbs per LB of bw, pre workout, then yes HIIT would be an issue.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    i do roughly 15-20 minutes after strength training of just steady state cardio.