Peanut Butter Alternative?

Options
Take a look at my diary today.

Normally I would say it's a good day, but I only have 153 calories left for dinner. Right, like that's gonna happen

For snack I wanted to bring celery sticks I have them and they are essentially a "free" food. But I really only like them with peanut butter.

So in a hurry this morning, I have a half cup container that I semi filled with pb, and estimating that there's 5 tbsp's in it. That's almost 500 calories.

So.....
1. Do you guys have any lower calorie suggestions with celery
2. Should I worry about the calories? Since it's good fats?

What can I do to salvage this day.....

Replies

• hmsmike
    hmsmike Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do PB too with my celery ... I usually use the 190 calorie TO-GO Cups they sell. Just because it keeps me honest.

I am curious to hear some suggestions as well ... I just can't do all-natural PB either. Hoping to see some good suggestions! :)
  • DaniettaF
    DaniettaF Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of celery, but when I want to dip something I dip it in salsa, as it is just basically tomatoes :)
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of celery, but when I want to dip something I dip it in salsa, as it is just basically tomatoes :)
    This sounds good actually... I make a pico de gallo (spelling?lol) that may actually be good with celery now that you say it.
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    Yes you should worry about calories regardless if they are from "good fats"
    Its about caloric deficit not about where the calories come from in order to lose weight.

Forget about salvaging the day. Just move on, tomorrow is a new day.
    I've always thought this, but then people say "but it's good fats" like they are trying to make me feel better or something???

That's why I questioned it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is good fat (heart healthy) - as long as you can incorporate it in your macros - you should eat the real deal.

If you want something lower in calorie .... you might try PB2. This is powdered peanut butter. The taste is pretty good .... the texture is pretty bad. You add water to the powder .... this might serve as a celery dip. I like to dip apple slices in PB2 and also add it to oatmeal.

Celery with cottage cheese "filling" ...... this would be similar (in taste) to celery with cream cheese. Cucumbers should be pretty much a "free" food too. Bok Choy is another one, nice and crispy, very mild.
  • T0FatToB3S1ck
    T0FatToB3S1ck Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    There is something in the grocery store beside the peanut butter called "better butter" or something like that. It's supposed to be refrigerated after you open it. 2 table spoons for 100 calories. It's a bit sweeter than peanut butter but it's the same concept. Give it a try. I personally wasn't to sure if I would like it and took 2 times of eating it before I was "use" to the difference. It's a bit more expensive. Regular peanut butter is what $3 a jar. This stuff is $6 a jar for the same amount.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    just meter it out properly.

or try hummus

instead of substituting for other crap- learn to moderate what you have so you can be accurate AND enjoy the food you like. :) chalk it up to lesson learned and be more diligent tomorrow.

My boss laughs at me when I measure my trail mix- bu then again- he is probably 250 lbs over weight- and I'm definitely NOT.... so- don't let the random compulsive measuring and people's judgines stop you. :D
  • Jayne2629
    Options
    I agree with the post about PB2. It really is not gonna satisfy you if you're craving some peanut butter right off the spoon, but it does okay when pairing it with something else. I usually make some and put it with apple or throw a tbsp or two in a smoothie.

Just warning you in advance, don't go into it expecting it's going to taste exactly like peanut butter because it doesn't. I bought some thinking it would be a perfect substitute but to me it sort of has a soy flavor to it. I don't know if anyone else thinks this too. Sometimes you've gotta just go with the original, but if you're looking for a substitute I can vouch that PB2 does a pretty good job. :)
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    NUTELLA!

Oh wait, that has MORE calories.

Nevahmind
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    Hummus wins!

I'm going to go find some, any favorites as as far as flavors or brands?
  • anndaman
    anndaman Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    PB2 is awesome! Just mix it with equal parts water and it's (almost) as good for the real thing! I think that 45 calories for 2 tbsp is worth the slight difference in taste. I put it on almost everything... celery, apples, pancakes, bananas, oatmeal... you get the idea
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Just Great stuff...they freeze dry PB & remove the fat, it becomes a powder you reconstitute ...not bad for a PB fix..a tad expensive though.
  • kasiaj
    kasiaj Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hot sauce!!! mmm, it even makes celery taste good :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    i'd say hummus but that's also 70 cals for 2 tablespoons. You can try PB2 as well..

But i would definitely suggest you don't try to have any food/beverage be "free food. That's just silly and innacurate.

And if you want to eat celery i would suggest eating something else significantly more satisfying if you're just gonna slap 3-400 calories of peanut butter on it. I dont know... unless you just really love celery over soup/hot food.

good luck! :)
  • gail200186
    gail200186 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I like to use garlic hummus with my celery :)
  • ljjol5
    ljjol5 Posts: 1
    Options
    If you like creamy hummus, Sabra (pine nut is my fav but all flavors are delicious) & Trader Joe's brands are the best! Hummus would have been my first suggestion, but I'm also going to try the cottage cheese WITH salsa option - thx for posting this question:)
  • viperk1
    viperk1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Why not try a different nut butter? Almond butter is pretty yum.
  • bcarman86
    bcarman86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like celery with hummus. You have to read the labels though; it isn't all good for you, so many additives.
  • bcarman86
    bcarman86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    NUTELLA!

Oh wait, that has MORE calories.

Nevahmind

But it is so delicious!