New to Quinoa--what is your fav. recipe using it?

Options

Replies

• Katrina_vw91
    Katrina_vw91 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It's delicious if you make salads with it! Its a great rice substitute :)
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I eat it plain or mix in some veggies sometimes, but my favourite is when I mix in some Diana Chipotle marinating sauce. It's so good! My husband loves it too!
  • sistersyd
    sistersyd Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    That "southwestern quinoa" sounds AWESOME!
  • PrincessYorga
    Options
    I LOVE quinoa! I make variations on a quinoa veggie salad about once or twice a week. Usually I cut up cucumber, bell peppers, tomatoes, celery, and asparagus (or whatever floats your boat veggie wise - I like crunch lol) while my quinoa is cooking. Once it is cooked, I add all the veggies and use some sort of dressing to bind the quinoa and veggies. Lately I've been using either Annie's Tuscany Italian or Red Wine Vinaigrette and Olive Oil. Stir it all together and put in a storage container. Sprinkle grated parm and romano cheese over the top. Cover and chill for a few hours in the fridge. Then voila! Ready to eat. Yummy stuff! :-)

ETA: I don't really have a recipe per say - it's kinda a fly by the seat of my pants thing I make and it turns out differently every time. I usually use a whole cucumber, whole bell pepper, a couple of roma tomatoes, few stalks of celery, a bunch of asparagus. I only use a couple of tablespoons of dressing - doesn't take too much to bind it all together. And anywhere from 2-6 tablespoons of the parm/romano - just depends on my mood. It generally ends up that there are more veggies than quinoa lol. But it cuts down on the calories and I still get that wonderful quinoa in my life! :-) I think that one serving is usually about 150 calories - that's for 1 to 1.5 cups.
  • supposedtobeapril
    supposedtobeapril Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to do (quick & simple & filling): take a sandwich bag, put in 3/4 cup cooked quinoa & 1/2 cup garbanzo beans (chickpeas), 1 teaspoon olive oil & some red wine vinegar (you don't have to put in the olive oil, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't).

Take it to work, eat it out of the baggie with a spoon. Amazing!
  • supposedtobeapril
    supposedtobeapril Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I forgot, try this! (it's amazing, too!) Toss some in your "scrambled eggs". Here's what I do:

cook quinoa in my little rice cooker (like $12 at WalMart), portion into baggies, put in freezer (point being, have it cooked & ready to toss into something for a quick meal or boost to a meal....I do remember to put one in the fridge so that it's thawed & ready to use)

In microwave safe dish:
    whip up 2 eggs with fork
    toss in some quinoa (I use 1/4 cup cooked)
    toss in 1/4 cup shredded cheese

Microwave 2 minutes, stir to mix up uncooked ingredients, microwave another minute (maybe) & let sit to finish cooking itself.

Eat it! It's amazing how the quinoa changes the texture and makes the eggs more filling and more amazing (and even more nutritious).

I am a chia seed freak, so I would also sprinkle a tablespoon on chia seeds on the top before eating (adds 5g of fiber, 5g of fat & Omega 3's). Plus, I can go 4-6 hours without feeling any hunger. Happy, happy, happy!
  • youngdreamer
    youngdreamer Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I like to get the fettuccine-shaped quinoa pasta noodles & once cooked, mix them with some shaved asparagus or zucchini. After that I like to add some more fresh veggies into my low-sodium marinara sauce & maybe have a turkey sausage (italian-style) on the side w/some broccoli florets as another! Yum!
  • laceylucas86
    Options
    i buy the presoaked quinoa at Cosco and cook it in my slow cooker (can use a rice cooker) then you have hot fluffy quinoa you can make sweet or savoury, make it into a breakfast porridge with raisins, apples, milk, cinnamon and brown sugar, I've baked it into mini muffins that have oats, shredded apple and cooked quinoa, i also like making a greek salad (fat free kraft Italian dressing, black olive, English cuke, tomato and feta mix it all up) it's versatile and yummy
  • kellyetaylorsmith
    kellyetaylorsmith Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I usually add PB and honey to it for a morning meal! Love it!
  • youknowmynamelookupthenumber
    Options
    This is a quinoa recipe that I love love love. It is so good you'll be scarfing it down!

Lemon Quinoa Cilantro Chickpea Salad

1/2 C. dry quinoa

2 C. vegetable broth (or chicken broth)

1 can garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed)

1 c. cherry tomatoes cut in half (or grape tomatoes)

2 avocados diced

2 C. spinach

1 bunch cilantro

1/4 C. onion

2 small cloves garlic

For the dressing:

Juice of 2 lemons

zest of 1 lemon

2 tsp. dijon mustard

2 tsp. olive oil

1 tsp. agave nectar

1/2 tsp. cumin

dash of salt and pepper

1. Cook quinoa and broth according to package directions and let cool. Put garbanzo beans, chopped tomatoes and diced avocados in a serving bowl and set aside. Process spinach, cilantro, onion and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Add to chopped veggies.

2. Stir together dressing ingredients and pour over veggies. Stir in cooled quinoa and let sit in refrigerator for 10 minutes or up to 1 hour before serving so the flavors can marinate. Serve cold.

From www.thediva-dish.com
  • sknapstein
    sknapstein Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Once it's cooked, you can mix in whatever. I put in precooked fake chicken, fresh mozzarella shredded, black beans, onions and then mix salsa into the whole thing.

What is precooked fake chicken? I've never heard of that before... ???...
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    "Dirty" quinoa. It's like dirty rice, only nothing like it.

Quinoa, rinsed & cooked in vegetable stock.

Diced pepper, sliced garlic, diced onion, sliced celery, sliced chilli. Sautéed in a little olive oil.

Turkey mince, cooked & drained.

Cajun seasoning.

Mix together. Eat.

You can also use liver (pork, lamb, chicken, etc.) if you like to eat liver. I don't, but it's more "authentic" to dirty rice if you do.
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Bump for more delicious recipes!
  • sandikegz
    Options
    Thanks for this post, I want to branch out and start cooking with Quinoa too...just have no clue what to do with it. I am posting so I can follow thread!
  • Laurenmp16
    Laurenmp16 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Once it's cooked, you can mix in whatever. I put in precooked fake chicken, fresh mozzarella shredded, black beans, onions and then mix salsa into the whole thing.

What is precooked fake chicken? I've never heard of that before... ???...

By precooked, I mean I precook it. I use Quorn chicken cutlets as they are GMO free and a lot less sodium than some of the other meat subs. I heat up the chicken then dice it and throw it in the quinoa mix.
  • Swats915
    Swats915 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am new to quinoa too. Bumping for some new dinner recipes!
  • jennontheroad
    jennontheroad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I love it with just some butter and salt and pepper.
  • jaymie_x0
    jaymie_x0 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    i love scrambling egg & sesame oil in with it! so yummy!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    It's good cooked in chicken broth, which provides flavor.