C25K success stories? I want to see your pictures!

Options
mel_2812
mel_2812 Posts: 66 Member
Hi,

I have almost 60 lbs to lose *sigh*.
I restarted to log my food this week, once more.
I am at the first week of the C25K program and I find it very difficult, out of breathe, etc...I'm exhausted by the time I finish...In addition, I do elliptical for 30 minutes and strength training for another 30 minutes.
I go to the gym every other day since January 2013...have not seen any changes, and gained around 5 lbs. So I know that food is the problem.

I switched my 30 minutes of walking on the treadmill for the C25K program.
So I'm curious to see if the C25K worked for you and if it will get better with time...If I find it hard on week 1, I can't imagine on week 6-7 :(

Any stories/pictures to share with me?

Thanks!

Replies

• TOPSmarca
    TOPSmarca Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have tried the C25K program twice... the first time I pushed through to get to the next week as quickly as possible(still could not do it in 1 week) and wound up with a foot injury that took a LONG time to heal. This time I am doing as much as I can with a particular week and not moving on to the next week until I have the current workout mastered!!! The first week too 5 weeks!!! I am now on week 4 workouts and can see me moving on after only 2 weeks!!! It is all about listening to your body and going at your own pace!!!
  • Gennybunny96
    Gennybunny96 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just finished my 2nd week today but I think next week I may do it again until it starts to get easy than I will move up to the next week. I am 240lbs and it is no easy task but I like running and I get such a sense of accomplishment when I am done. I have also found a great runners stretch yoga sequence on utube that I do after each run and that has helped me to not be sore at all after my runs. Good luck and keep at it if you want to be a runner. Some people never like running and that's on too. Find an activity that you enjoy and it will do wonders for your weight loss and self esteem!
  • tiffanyraylene
    tiffanyraylene Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I start week 7 on Sunday! I couldn't run more than a block when I started and tonight I ran over 3 miles in 32 minutes. It does get easier. It took me until about a week and a half ago to really get my breathing right while running. Now I breathe properly with no extra effort. Stick with it and you'll be glad you did! :)
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have almost 60 lbs to lose *sigh*.
    I restarted to log my food this week, once more.
    I am at the first week of the C25K program and I find it very difficult, out of breathe, etc...I'm exhausted by the time I finish...In addition, I do elliptical for 30 minutes and strength training for another 30 minutes.
    I go to the gym every other day since January 2013...have not seen any changes, and gained around 5 lbs. So I know that food is the problem.

I switched my 30 minutes of walking on the treadmill for the C25K program.
    So I'm curious to see if the C25K worked for you and if it will get better with time...If I find it hard on week 1, I can't imagine on week 6-7 :(

Any stories/pictures to share with me?

Thanks!

If you feel like it's too much for you repeat week 1. I like the c25k program, but I don't do it 3x a week I do it like 5 or 6 x a week.
  • thefitmess
    Options
    I'm on a break now from shin splints, but I've been doing 30ds along with it. I will have to post some pictures for you! Keep in mind I've started and stopped the program numerous times over the past year because of my bad shins. (No one can tell me why I keep getting them and I've followed every piece of advice given, been sized for shoes, etc). It's amazing when you run your first mile and when I'm not running I don't really loose weight. Which is frustrating for me. 44lbs over the last year, with a few mental breaks.
  • Soybeaner
    Soybeaner Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have started and finished! Honestly, I about died the first week. I was terribly out of shape. I finished in May of this year and could run 2.25 miles in 30 minutes. I now run 3.1 miles in 34 minutes. I can knock it out over my lunch break if I have to. The best part - I like running now! I try to log 12 to 15 miles a week in 3 mile increments.

In my case my head got in the way. I tell myself it is only a minute. You can do anything for a minute. It is only 5 minutes. You can do anything for 5 minutes. And on and on. Now I tell myself "Last mile." You can easily run a mile.

Depending on when and how much you are using the elliptical it may be affecting your running. If you want to progress easily with C25K do it with fresh muscles not worn out by other cardio that day.
  • rebamay87
    rebamay87 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have been running 5k's 3 times a week since June... I found the program hard - it is hard, you're training your body to run.. and if you're anything like me.. it hasn't done that since you were a child! Now, I just moved on, I didn't repeat, only because I knew I would talk myself into repeating... and just be too scared to move forward...

Honestly - the entire time I was just focusing on time.. didn't matter how fast I went.. just run till it asked me to slow down.. I found not having this massive thing over me, that I 'had' to reach 5kms by the end of it, just let me focus on the running. I like the OP did not image myself running at week 6-7.. but you know.. i did. I did my first 5kms in 33mins (with the app giving me 35).

Obviously it worked for me, I stuck to the 3 day a week pattern so I didn't harm my body bits (knees, feet and hips) thru over use, they give you rest days.. and honestly even tho I now run 3 days a week, I need them still. I walk on my rest days.

I've lost 105lbs (48kgs) as of now, with.. aww 18kg (39.6 lbs) of them being since I started the c to 5k plan.

Hope this helps!
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    You may be making the mistake that many people make at first with C25K, including myself. often newbies run far to fast on the running seconds and so tire all too quickly. It took me to week four and having to stop to be sick to realise that I was doing the running bits too fast. it should be just slightly more than fast walking. Once I got that I moved on really quickly and soon was able to run the 5k, slowly. Once you are up and running you can then work on speed.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I am 58 years old and started this a month ago although I am only on week 2. I am taking it nice and slow. It will probably take me twice as long to finish it, but I am ok with that. It does get easier. Last Saturday I went on a 22 mile bike ride and came home and did the c25k.
  • VixB1842
    VixB1842 Posts: 36
    Options
    The biggest success I have had with weight loss (healthily) was when I was doing c25k 3 times a week and doing and hour of Zumba on my days off. It was a fantastic combination and the weight just melted off me. I consistantly lost 2lbs every single week without fail until uni commitments took over and so did my stress eating.

It was really fun as well. I remember on my first week I couldn't even run for a minute strait so I had to do week 1 twice. By the end I was running for over 10 minutes without stopping...I only got to week 5 before I wussed out and ate my way back to my pre exercise weight.

Since starting the program again I am back to week 5 and loving it. I never saw myself as a runner but waiting for that chime keeps me challenging myself and pushing myself further than I thought I could go.

Moral of the story: definitely stick at it, its great and like other people have said, if you still find the week you're on a challenge, repeat it, you will slowly get to where you want to be, no use rushing these things, it will come with time.

Good luck with it!
  • dottylois
    Options
    Hey,
    Ok, week one I found shocking... didn't realise how unfit I'd got myself into... BUT IT GETS EASIER!!! Up to this I had been walking on a treadmill on a large incline for 30-40mins....
    So I started C25K in April time... got to week 5, run 3, did the 20 min run, felt great and for what ever stupid reason I gave up!?!
    Up until Sunday I had done a few runs here and there but had not been so dedicated.
    Then Sunday, got on the scales and got myself focussed within minutes... Monday, started from the beginning of week 5-it was hard work but I enjoyed the after feeling... I've ran every day since, had my 20 minuter yesterday and felt really down afterwards because of my lack of pace and distance... But today is a new run, which is easier so I can focus on that today.
    I have no photos, and I have only just started dieting seriously (want to loose similar to you I think), but I'm feeling better, positive and I would recommend this programme, the only thing is the woman that speaks to me, sometimes I could slap her for saying I'm only half way when it feels like I'm finished.
    Add me if you like?
    Lois
  • dawnshot
    dawnshot Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    When I started the C25K I thought I was going to die running for 30 secs, I Never thought I'd get to the stage of running for 40 minutes, just seemed an impossible task. But I kept to the programme and made it to the end of it. It's a brilliant podcast!
    I'm just starting back on it as I had a break from running due to a frozen shoulder, so now 3 mins seems a long time, but I'll get there again! Good luck!
  • amyjenkins50309
    Options
    Started c25k 13 weeks ago since completeing it I still run 3 times a week, this week managed to run 3 miles.

It was hard and I had to make myself get on the treadmill but I actually feel massively proud of myself every time I go that bit further, longer or faster. Keep at it, it does get easier !!!!
  • RobertHendrix
    RobertHendrix Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You may be making the mistake that many people make at first with C25K, including myself. often newbies run far to fast on the running seconds and so tire all too quickly. It took me to week four and having to stop to be sick to realise that I was doing the running bits too fast. it should be just slightly more than fast walking. Once I got that I moved on really quickly and soon was able to run the 5k, slowly. Once you are up and running you can then work on speed.

This. I am on my 3rd time going through the C25K program. All of it has been done on a treadmill. 1st round I did the 9 weeks at walking 3.0 mph jogging 4.0 mph. after finishing it I started back at week 1 walking at 3.5 mph and jogging at 4.5 mph. I will be starting week 4 of my 3rd round of c25k this time walking at 4.0 mph and jogging at 5.0 mph. I have a goal of completing my first 5k (Sept 21) in under 40 min pushing for under 36 min.
  • hiswifetheirmommy
    hiswifetheirmommy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It WILL get easier! I completed my first 5k last April and used the C25K app on my phone. I found it was daunting watching that time go by sooooo slowly until I could walk. So I tried to focus on making it a certain distance before my timer dinged. So, for instance, I'd start jogging and try to make it to the park bench way up ahead before my time was up and I could walk. It was like a little game I played in my head and it made it more interesting and made me not focus so much on the time. :)
  • justaloozer
    justaloozer Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    On week one I was huffing and puffing. Like someone else said, I was running too fast instead of pacing myself and tiring out way too quickly. I decided to stop focusing so much on speed and start working on stamina. I just did day 1 of week 5. I was able to run for 8 mins, walk for 5, and run for another 8 mins. I never thought I would be able to run for so long! Once I complete my final run on the program, I will start working on my speed.
  • BAMarsh
    BAMarsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose weight on c25k - so no story there.

BUT - I was like you, wondering each week how on God's green earth was I going to be able to do the next week's challenge. I just took it day by day and eventually, created my own success story...

from c25k day 1 on April 19, 2011 to Marathon on November 3, 2012.

You can do this!

MM.jpg
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    getting through a running program was the best thing i ever did in my whole life! I did my own modified version of c25K cause i was too cheap to pay for the app. I pushed myself each day, and it took me 14 weeks start to finish. there were days my feet were so sore i could barely walk, but i pushed on. stick with it, go at your own pace and push yourself a little each day. Running 5K is a physically easy task on our bodies, even with extra weight. I started at 235lbs and I was 185 when i ran my first 5K. Unless you have a medical reason, any hangups you have are all in yoru head. Push on and keep running.

fd85430f-606e-46d4-b272-50af09cd9a61_zps29ceefb1.jpg
  • tavinsmom
    tavinsmom Posts: 101
    Options
    I don't have pics to shares, but I did start a c25k this week and I surprised myself! Last year I tried running with a friend and just could not do it. My ankles hurt, I was out of breath horribly.

I went running with her this week and blew her away!!! I've only lost 25lbs so far, but I've been doing jazzercise for 4 months now and am in so much better shape. My ankles no longer hurt, and I had no problem doing the first week stuff easily (honestly could have gone faster) but she couldn't keep up!

I had no idea I'd improved so much physically.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I started C25K at the beginning of June. I struggled for the first couple of weeks - I think I was trying to run too fast and found that I couldn't breathe :) After the first few weeks I started to enjoy it and then, at the weekend, ta-daa! I made it!!! If you had asked me 3 months ago if I could run 3 miles I would have laughed, but here we are, I'm not going to be attending athletics meetings and I'm pretty slow but I did it. Now, what was that about a marathon? (Just kidding)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!