Weight lifting and pushing too hard?

Options
124»

Replies

• nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    try having some carbs beforehand, not after. protein shake would be better after.

High GI carbs after, not before. If you're not going low carb, any pre-workout carbs should be low GI so you don't have swings in insulin and glycogen availability during your workout. Taking in carbs pre-workout (30 min) puts you in a hypoglycemic state about when you'd be hitting your most intense sets (30-50 minutes into workout).

See Carb Backloading book for better explanation if you're curious.

as I was reading this I thought to myself "someone has read CBL".

Agreed. I don't take in carbs before training and I've hit PRs lately............

I'm 100% with the above... also CBL and hit PBs on every workout........so far;

Training is 3x a week doing full body workouts of compound moves.

Oh and I do yoga once a week! ;-)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:"Dude, you post something about yoga in every weight training thread. What's up with that? Do you see yourself as the yoga savior to the weight training crowd? Give it a rest!! You want to discuss yoga, start a yoga thread. BTW, have checked out your profile pics. I wouldn't say your results so far really qualify you to be giving any "how to" advice"

That's why I'm here - to lose weight - and if I wanted to hide the fact that I was two stone overweight I would have kept my profile private. I can't apologise for loving yoga - I guess you love your weight training too. It's a shame we can't share the same arena as I don't believe I have ever slagged off weight training or anyone who chooses that discipline; each to their own.

I promise to keep out of the weight training posts from now on; signing out.

Really? You're going to let the comments from one random MFP person affect what you post in the forums? I mean, don't misunderstand, I think your insistent yoga comments are slightly annoying too, but not even near my "Top Ten Most Annoying MFPers" list.

Sorry, I didn't get to read your post until just now - I've been doing Yoga!
    Seriously not dissing Weightlifting at all, it's just I got really enthusiastic about Yoga and wanted to get you folks to at least hear where I'm coming from - now I read my posts back, I realise what a P.I.T.A. I was being :blushing:
    Each to their own - keep doing what you doin'

Very impressive and a show of character to be able to look at yourself and see it through others eyes. Bravo for you!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    As an update... I did full body today, same weight, same reps (to be safe). Ate much more afterwards.

It's been hours later, and I feel fine. Think it might have just been the "too few calorie" thing that day! Thanks guys!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    As an update... I did full body today, same weight, same reps (to be safe). Ate much more afterwards.

It's been hours later, and I feel fine. Think it might have just been the "too few calorie" thing that day! Thanks guys!

:drinker:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    traing hard = feeling like crap afterwards.

it happens. youll be fine.
    exactly. as long as your joints dont hurt just suck it up, cupcake :laugh:

seriously though make sure you get enough SLEEP (not just rest), eating enough food to repair (especially protein) and you'll be OK. as long as it's muscle soreness you'll be OK, you can always foam roll or get a massage to help work out some of teh soreness

My hips, butt, abs and lats are almost permanently sore everyday of the week for the past 10 months and I havent died yet.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Excellent!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Glad you're feeling better!
  • nhguy78
    nhguy78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I try to eat carbs before lifting - I thought it would be enough but it wasn't. I took a bottle of Gatorade low cal for the little bit of sugar in it. It seems that was what I needed to help me get through it without getting dizzy and a run to the locker room bathrooms.

In a separate instance, I ran on a fairly hilly/rocky trail 5K and I was fine. I jumped in the shower immediately when I got home. I got the same feeling. I took my time and the showerhead stopped moving. LOL

I don't care that I am pushing myself to the limit. I just want to know what to do to so I don't injure myself.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I try to eat carbs before lifting - I thought it would be enough but it wasn't. I took a bottle of Gatorade low cal for the little bit of sugar in it. It seems that was what I needed to help me get through it without getting dizzy and a run to the locker room bathrooms.

In a separate instance, I ran on a fairly hilly/rocky trail 5K and I was fine. I jumped in the shower immediately when I got home. I got the same feeling. I took my time and the showerhead stopped moving. LOL

I don't care that I am pushing myself to the limit. I just want to know what to do to so I don't injure myself.

This thread was almost a year old, no posts since Oct 2012, until you just did.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I suck it up. If I'm injured or my form is crap that's different. But "too sore"?