Is there an alternative to weight lifting?

Options
I'm going to bellyache for a minute about weight lifting. I need to do some sort of strength training especially at my age for bone health. I'm hoping someone can think of an alternative that will accomplish the same thing. About the only excercise I really like is bicycling. I do that and spinning classes, but I don't do anything weight bearing.

I just loathe the weight lifting. I know I need to do it, but it's like taking bitter medicine. I have gone to the expense of paying for trainer sessions so that I have to show up or waste the money, but this is just artificial motivation.

One of the things I hate about it is how it feels. The muscle burn is about intolerable. A friend has suggested I think of the burn as a sign that it's working, but it just gives me nausea. Another thing is that I can never remember how much weight I use for different excercises. I have to carry a little card and pencil around with me. Also, whenever I look for the weights I need, someone is usually using them already and when I'm already annoyed by having to lift, it irritates me all out of proportion . The only time I can avoid this is 5:00 AM.

Thanks for listening to me whine. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Otrogen
    Otrogen Posts: 65
    Options
    How much weight do you typically lift? It has been suggested (and I've found it pretty dang useful) that you can do almost everything you need to do for a good beginner weights routine at home. The magic 9 are squats, one-arm rows, triceps dips, pushups, bird dogs, crunches, biceps curls, lateral arm lifts, and glute bridges. A lot of these use your own body as the weight and require as much cardio as they do actual weight lifting. I have 5, 6, and 10 lb weights, and I simply do these exercises on my own at home. I hated going to the gym and doing weights, so when I found a diet that suggested doing these 9 things at home, I definitely followed it! It really has helped me out with my strength, and now when I go to the gym to use the elliptical or the bike, I add stuff like pec flies and leg presses to it to better myself.

I hate lifting, too, but it is definitely necessary and it doesn't have to be as torturous as all of that xD.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Try resistance bands or a progressive body weight program. NerdFitness.com has good bodyweight stuff, and loads of people on here talk about Convict Conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym.

You could also go down to a bare bones lifting program that only incorporates the big lifts with free weights. Squats, bent over rows, OHP, dead lifts and bench. You might not hate something like Wendler 5/3/1, because there's essentially one lift a training session, with optional accessory work. And, there's nothing wrong with carrying around a card. I have a notebook that I write all my lifts and reps in. I usually lift at home, but it's gone to the gym with me on the few occasions I work out in a gym. I also have a sheet with what my weights and reps are for that day.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    5/3/1 I'm not doing jacksh!t template

One lift, four times a week, three sets. You can be in and out of the gym in less than 20 minutes. One day squat, one day bench, one day dead lift, one day press. You'll see results with minimal time spent lifting.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Anything that provides resistance to your muscles will work. The more resistance, the better. But anything that provides resistance is going to lead to some sort of muscle fatigue/burn.

At some point you just need to get past it if it's really important to you. I hate having to watch what I eat. I hate having to clean the garage. I hate having to go to work. But I do those things because I know I need to.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

One lift, four times a week, three sets. You can be in and out of the gym in less than 20 minutes. One day squat, one day bench, one day dead lift, one day press. You'll see results with minimal time spent lifting.

I edited to add that while you posted this! Great minds and all that!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Anything that provides resistance to your muscles will work. The more resistance, the better. But anything that provides resistance is going to lead to some sort of muscle fatigue/burn.

At some point you just need to get past it if it's really important to you. I hate having to watch what I eat. I hate having to clean the garage. I hate having to go to work. But I do those things because I know I need to.

All of this.

Have you tried deadlifting? When I deadlift I feel like I could run through a city tearing down buildings with my bare hands. It might be enough to motivate you.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

I edited to add that while you posted this! Great minds and all that!
    Nice haha

I had my little brother do it for a while and he had some nice gains. We squished it into two sessions a week, bench/squat day and dead lift/press day. He would be there for like maybe half an hour. It's great for people that are busy or just don't want to spend a lot of time in the gym.
  • VegeLover
    VegeLover Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Serious landscaping can be a great alternative workout day. Fresh air, hefting big bags of heavy stuff, smiling plants. Spray yourself with water when you're all done watering the plants for a refreshing finish on a hot day.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Weight dropping.

No but really, I am a fan of body weight exercises. I'm not one of those "i'm so afraid of getting bulky!!" girls, but I really have no interest in joining a gym and don't have anything heavier than 10 lbs at my house, so I do a lot of body weight stuff. I think Nerd Fitness was mentioned, that site has a lot of good strength exercises.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Doing these exercises at home has a lot of appeal. It at least takes two of my issues out of the equation. Thanks, good idea!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    body weight exercises are great.
    At some point you just need to get past it if it's really important to you.

but really this.
    just do it- and as you get better at it- you'll realize it's probably not as awful as you think.
    You also don't need to do it EVERY day. 2-3 times a week is adquete.

But if you truly can't stand weights- try body weight

OR try rock climbing- that's a great activity- that really hits a lot of your body... I am partial to bear wrestling myself- good strength training AND cardio- but you know... to each their own.