Why Proper Chewing of the Food is Important for Digestion?

Options
One of the most important reasons that lead to poor digestion is not chewing the food properly. There are lots of people who have their food in a hurry without knowing the fact that it can have a tremendous effect on their digestion and can give rise to many digestive issues. I still remember when I was a child my mother used to keep saying that, “chew your food well”. Now I can understand why she repeated those words. In fact, chewing the food properly bring lots of changes to your health.

1. It has been proved by many researches that the more time you will take chewing your food, the less food you will provide to your body and this may save you from gaining some extra pounds. There are many of you who are not aware of the fact that we have parotid glands located near our ear that starts functioning when we start chewing our food and at that moment, a hormone named parotin gets released and produce T-cells leading to a healthy and better immune system.

2. • Chewing also helps producing and secreting immunoglobulin A that provides protection to mucus membranes.

3. The longer your foods get chewed, they get missed with saliva and allow you to extract more nutrients. “Saliva begins the chemical digestive process by releasing an enzyme called amylase that starts to break starches into simple sugars,” as opined by Powel and this is the reason why the food tastes sweeter when you chew it more depending on whether you are consuming natural foods or processed foods as processed foods taste tasteless and flavorless when you chew them for a longer period of time.

4. It helps reducing stress on the esophagus and helps the stomach metabolize your food.

Replies

• here2bme
    here2bme Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Very interesting and informative. I have been trying to chew more (to the point it turns to liquid almost). Even though I have never had digestive problems I worry about it a lot. I try to eat a good amount of fiber everyday and I also eat ginger in my morning oatmeal.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    1. It has been proved by many researches that

At least link one researches.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The thorough chewing of food was popularized by Horace Fletcher and was thought to convey lots of benefits to those who practiced it.

'Fletcherizing', as it became known, was common dietary advice in 1911.

The research over the last 100 years does not show that increased chewing conveys any added health benefits. It does however make mealtimes exceedingly long and boring.