Is anyone else experiencing problems sleeping?

Options
It used to be I could fall asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow, and I would sleep contentedly through the night. Unfortunately, things have changed since I began my weightloss journey. Now it takes me about 20 minutes to fall to sleep, and I wake in the night, sometimes several times, often laying awake for an hour or so, worrying about things. Life's troubles have not increased, so I don't know why this is. I just wonder if this is normal and if there is anything (besides sleeping pills) that I can do about it because I sure am exhausted today! :yawn:

Replies

• cgphelps24
    cgphelps24 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have recently. At first when I started my weight loss journey I would knock out as soon as I hit the bed, but for some unknown reason for the last 2 weeks I have been having trouble falling asleep. or, even worse, I fall asleep for a few minutes then wake up wide awake, for hours. It is very frustrating. I have not resorted to taking anything to sleep just yet as I have little ones at home who still wake up at night. I am hoping that a change to my workout routine will help things. Only time will tell.
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    My sleep cycle has sucked this past week. I fall asleep OK but wake up a couple of hours lately fully awake!! Hoping to get some much needed rest this weekend to make up for it.
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have sleep issues. A few months ago I started walking a couple miles before bed and so far it has been helping me get great sleep.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Try working out, about 3 or 4 hrs before going to bed.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Im the opposite, on days when I work out, luckily its 5-6 days a week, I fall asleep no problems, but on my rest days, it could take me 5-10 to fall asleep.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking at night and needing to go to the bathroom? This is usually my problem. I also sometimes have a problem when I workout too late in the evening. Caffeine seems to be effecting me differently also. I was able to drink coffee and go right to sleep. Now I only have a couple of cups in the morning.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    A lot of hormonal changes are associated with weight loss. They can affect your sleeping pattern. I've been going through it for nigh-on 3 years now, the only thing that changes it is habit.

I get up at 5:30am and go to bed at 11pm. Sometimes I don't sleep until 1am, but still get up at 5:30. I'm exhausted, but it makes the 11pm bedtime easier that night.
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    I had to change my workout schedule. If I work out at night, I would get an energy boost and be up half the night. I have to be to work at 8am so this really sucked.
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I don't wake up to go to the bathroom...I just wake up. I workout after work, Monday thru Thursday, typically for an hour and beginning some time between 5:30 to 6:30 PM. I go to bed at 10 PM. I only drink coffee in the morning.

I haven't noticed a difference in my sleep whether I workout or not. However, I will pay closer attention to that. Classes begin next week, from 6:30 PM to 9:20 PM, so I won't be able to workout on Tuesday or Wednesday anymore. It will be interesting to see if I sleep better on those days.

Thanks for the input everyone!
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    The more I run the less I sleep. I eat two benadryl around 7pm. Out by 10. I sleep through the night except for the stupid dog waking me up to pee.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I have problems making myself actually get into bed at a decent hour, but once I'm there I'm in a coma within seconds, especially on nights when I get up at 5 to go to the gym.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I had to change my workout schedule. If I work out at night, I would get an energy boost and be up half the night. I have to be to work at 8am so this really sucked.

Same. Up at 4:30 and in the gym by 5 now.
  • MikeDasTrainer
    Options
    After a high intense workout I can have trouble sleeping later that night. Usually due to stress hormone still circulating. Also can't sleep, clown will eat me.
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been having some issues staying asleep. Like you, I fall asleep deeply for a little while and then am bolt wide awake and can't get back to sleep for a really long time. Now some of the things that may be affecting this can be the weight loss, which I am thrilled aout, caffeine late at night (I have noticed that even decaf seems to set me off lately. It may be an age thing.) Stress/excitement. Right now I am planning on moving in a month and am so excited and OCD about it that that can keep be awake as well. The thing is, I still have energy to go to work, walk the dogs, work out, etc., so maybe I don't need to sleep as much as I think. I definitely don't plan on taking any medication to help me though, just my personal opinion.
  • SACasto
    SACasto Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem about 3-4 months into my journey. I could not fall asleep, sometimes I would lay there for hours, then I would wake up numerous times at night. I had to re-evaluate EVERYTHING I was eating and doing daily in order to get back to normal. I cut out all/down on Caffeine drastically. This including diet pills, soda, chocolate, everything. I also had to start taking my multi vitamin earlier in the day as well. After a few weeks of no sleep I returned to almost normal and am sleeping better now. I think my body really just was having trouble adjusting to increased energy levels, especially at night. I hope it gets better for you. Not being able to sleep is beyond frustrating.
  • LeviLeDoux
    LeviLeDoux Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I would love to be able to fall asleep in twenty minutes. I can take melatonin, valerian root, drink sleepytime tea, and meditate and still be wide awake until 11am. :grumble:
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've been suffering from insomnia since I was a little kid. Sometimes, working out helps, sometimes it doesn't.

Lately, I've been using a white-noise machine (aka: my floor fan... I will have to find something else when winter gets here), and Benadryl at night to control my office dust allergies. Valerian root tea also helps.

For me, it's all about habit. If I don't get into bed before midnight, I'll be up until 2am.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I've been having troubles sleeping lately too, and blamed it on stress. A lot of these tips apply to me though. I like to work out in the evening and I may have to cut out caffeine past 10 a.m.

I tend to fall asleep no problem, but then wake up around 4 a.m. and stay awake for a while. I average 6.5 hours of sleep a night whether I go to bed at 21:00 or 23:00 (I have to be at work at 7:30). I still feel exhausted during the day though. I'm pretty sure I need closer to 7.5 hours. Less than 6.5 and I can barely function. More than 8 and I'm groggy and sore.