nike plus vs treadmill help!

Options
I started out with a gym treadmill, then got Nike plus for my shoes and Ipod. I've been using it to jog outside and thought I was cutting down on my time! This morning I used the app on the treadmill-my Nike app said I jogged a 13min mile but I had the treadmill set at a 15 min mile and now I don't know what to believe. Which is more accurate? Could it be that even though I have the treadmill set at a certain speed, my strides or whatever are more frequent than a normal 15 min mile and that is why it is off?

Replies

• loretta5ue
    loretta5ue Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My treadmill needed to be calibrated so it could show an accurate speed... also My footpod speed can be thrown off when I trail run (it remembers my stride from the trail).

So, if you own the treadmill I suggest you calibrate it. If you don't own it you can test your footpod by running on a track or some other measured mile.
  • RooMcDermott
    RooMcDermott Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have this exact same issue. My Nike + app always has me running faster/farther than my treadmill does. My treadmill is quite a few years old and hasn't been calibrated for a long time, if ever.
  • fyoufat
    fyoufat Posts: 85
    Options
    this is interesting, after posting I googled it and it said I needed to calibrate my ipod (it said you jog your normal mile one which you know is an exact mile then immediately after hit calibrate) but I wasn't even thinking it could be treadmill! the treadmill is at my gym, so I can't really calibrate it, but I will try different treadmills out and see what that does. Thanks for the responses!
  • RedneckJ16
    Options
    I have the same concerns about treadmill vs Nike+ sensor, they both read differently. As far as calibrating the senor on a track does sit matter if you cannot run the whole thing? I have to walk/run especially now since I'm getting back into exercising.
    Does the sensor just simply need to know a correct mile?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would probably believe the treadmill, though it is possible the treadmill needs to be calibrated, too.

Do you have a smartphone? If so, I would download a GPS running app and give that a whirl.

***Also, know that you might run different speeds on a treadmill and outside, even though they *feel* like the same speed, so it could be that they're both right.

***written based on a misinterpretation of your OP, but still a good point for others.
  • ammjr71
    ammjr71 Posts: 13
    Options
    I have the same concerns about treadmill vs Nike+ sensor, they both read differently. As far as calibrating the senor on a track does sit matter if you cannot run the whole thing? I have to walk/run especially now since I'm getting back into exercising.
    Does the sensor just simply need to know a correct mile?

It will matter if you don't do a known distance using one method or the other. Your stride distances are going to vary between a normal walk, fast walk, slow jog and all out run. The sensor - both the one that fits in your shoe and even your smart phone - are basing distance on this "stride length." The shoe sensor will count two stride lengths per left foot ground strike and your phone counts one stride length per bounce.

I have a band with the shoe sensor and the running app. I use the running app on the treadmill and the band when I walk...