5:2 I Don't understand!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I do not understand how this can possibly be a healthy way to loose weight! I am a firm believer in a total life style change. It needs to be something manageable for the rest of your life and I am sorry but I am not going to basically starve myself two days a week. Let's face it my family doesn't like me when I am hungry...I am miserable. Maybe I am missing something here but I am making the changes that I need to be healthy for the rest of my life, not some crazy diet that will make me loose weight and eventually gain it back.

If it takes me two years of eating right and getting my rear up and moving to drop the weight I am okay with that. I am doing to this in a way that I will only need to loose it once and be done. I am sure it works for certain people I am just not willing to do that to myself.

You're so misinformed, it's insulting.

Don't be insulted, I think the point of the post was to get someone to explain it better to her. As the title says, she doesn't understand it.
  • toshie333
    toshie333 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I was very sceptical, still it's
    Only on my first week, finished day 2 of fasting and I am shocked at a few things:
    Firstly how little I need to eat to fill me up.
    Secondly the mentality - my out look on food has changed dramatically in 4 days! After 5 years of obsessing about points and calories I'm tired of planning and analysis on food daily. This is do refreshing and I feel strangely so in control. Fast days are easier than I thought-not easy but easier. I think do I want to ruin my fast day with cake in the office?? Nah I will have it tomorrow. I have things I think oh il have it on my treat day then I wake up and choose things I never dreamed of. Eg fruit, low fat yog and 2table spoons of granola.... I was planning a bagel....
    Salad, noodles and chicken from
    Salad bar at work.... Was planning ham x cheese panini....
    Taste and mentality so changes! I never would have believed people before experiencing it because I love my food and having been on other well known diets, I eat because I have points left or "its within calories" so eat because I can instead of actually listening to my body.
    It's re educating and totally changing my relationship with food in a good way.
    Sorry to ramble but what I'm
    Trying to
    Say is the posts where people are struggling, stick with it. I'm new too and I do think it will click. Listen to your body and don't be afraid to leave food on your plate. A big learning for me this week too!
  • kf5nd
    kf5nd Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What's a stone? Did you lose lose it whilst driving on the wrong side of the road? What colour was this stone?

;-)

5:2 is fantastic. Since starting 3 months ago, I have never felt better. I have lost just over 2 stone, my skin is better, my nails are strong and growing for the first time ever, I have more energy...need I go on. The fast days are not difficult, I still eat well lots of salad, veggies and protein and I rarely feel hungry. It may not be for everyone, may not be for you, but please dont make negative comments about something you dont understand. There is plenty of scientific evidence to back up the health benefits just google 5:2. Good luck with your weight loss journey, however you wish to go about it
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    In order to begin to "starve" you would have to stop eating for more than 24 hours. Anything before that is all in your head.

There are lots of health benefits that fasting can provide. Putting something down just because you don't like it is very ignorant.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    In order to begin to "starve" you would have to stop eating for more than 24 hours. Anything before that is all in your head.

There are lots of health benefits that fasting can provide. Putting something down just because you don't like it is very ignorant.

I believe starvation wont settle in until about 72 hours with no food. I don;t believe for a minute that we're *supposed* to eat every day ..
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Well!! that put the cat amongst the pigeons!! :laugh:
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    It makes perfect sense to me. I'm sure it's far more 'natural' to our species than having a consistent number of calories each day, so a couple of low calorie days a week shouldn't hurt too much.

Sustainability is another huge plus, IMHO. Maintenance can turn out to be an adapted 5:2 or a 6:1. The 'lifestyle change' made is that of learning to fast. I have watched a colleague really succeed with it, and a little part of me dares to hope this might be the long term solution for a great many people.

Will I ever do it? Probably not. Were I male? Almost certainly, yes. The health benefits for men seem well-proven, but for women it seems less clear.
  • jennimc13
    Options
    What's a stone? Did you lose lose it whilst driving on the wrong side of the road? What colour was this stone?

;-)

5:2 is fantastic. Since starting 3 months ago, I have never felt better. I have lost just over 2 stone, my skin is better, my nails are strong and growing for the first time ever, I have more energy...need I go on. The fast days are not difficult, I still eat well lots of salad, veggies and protein and I rarely feel hungry. It may not be for everyone, may not be for you, but please dont make negative comments about something you dont understand. There is plenty of scientific evidence to back up the health benefits just google 5:2. Good luck with your weight loss journey, however you wish to go about it

the stone can be any colour you want it to be :P
  • jmyrtle
    jmyrtle Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    To each his own, and again it comes to choice and will.
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the 5:2 since April of this year. I have never felt better in my life. I love the fact that I easily lost all the weight I needed to and am now at maintenance but the main thing is I have suffered with pain all my life and am now pain free. No more pain killers required just to get though the day. Crazy? Maybe but I say, welcome to the loonie bin. I am never going to change this way of eating.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the 5:2 since April of this year. I have never felt better in my life. I love the fact that I easily lost all the weight I needed to and am now at maintenance but the main thing is I have suffered with pain all my life and am now pain free. No more pain killers required just to get though the day. Crazy? Maybe but I say, welcome to the loonie bin. I am never going to change this way of eating.

That's such good news, Perrinjoshua! I wish you could have found fasting as a tool to make you pain free earlier. I'm so glad it worked and still does work for you.