Should I give up Ben & Jerry's??

Options
Hi all,

I need advice. For as long as I remember, I've been having a pint of Ben & Jerry's (my fav is Chubby Hubby) every Sunday night. This sounds sad, but it helps with the Sunday night blues. I always eat the whole pint and I've never been one to have a few spoonfuls and put it away (like my hubby who isn't chubby btw!) :-) I just joined MFP and I have over 50 lbs to lose. Should I try to quit this habit? I feel like I'll be deprived, but I know it hasn't helped with the weight gain. And one pint equals my daily calories or close to it and I usually take Sundays off from exercise. Please let me know your thoughts and thanks!

Michelle

Replies

• SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm new to all of this so I'm not sure how much advice I can give that's actually helpful but I'd like to think that you don't have to give it up altogether. A serving once a week is fine and you can work it into your calorie budget. It may be difficult to eat just one serving if you're eating the entire pint, but I'd say try it. If it is difficult, it may be something you have to give up altogether.

My downfall is potato chips. I CANNOT eat one serving so I don't buy them at all anymore. If they're not in the house, I won't eat them.
  • dalzinho
    Options
    I reckon you should—if it's equal to your daily calorie allowance then it's patently not going to do you any good.

I used to nominate every Friday as fat Friday, so I could go for a fast-food lunch during my working day, but I realised that the same thing was happening, and that it was contributing a great deal to my weekly calorie intake. What I've decided to do is cut it out as a weekly treat, and instead made it a monthly treat that I take on the Friday that I get paid. Still not ideal, but there's a certain quality-of-life aspect that can't be ignored. Everything in moderation!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about this, then yes, give up the pint. Get yourself some small freezer containers and split up the pint into small portions (1/2 cup or 1 cup) Take one out to eat and stop there. You will still get to finish a container, but it will be a small one. You still get your treat without blowing your calories right away. :happy:
  • mindymoe1
    Options
    i dont say give it up but i do say give up the whole pint. just have half a cup and put it in a small bowl so it looks larger and that should take care of your craving
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I think you should, a pint of chubby hubby is 1360 calories!!! its a LOT of calories! And it's not good for you at all. :-( Sorry
  • ReadyMom
    Options
    Try to cut it down to 1/2 a pint and see how you feel. Then you aren't totally depriving yourself, or even better to fight the Sunday Blues go for a nice face paced walk to lift your spirits. Good luck!
  • raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    YES!! Seriously, that is a habit that needs to be changed...and perhaps examined more closely. You are not going to meet success keeping this up. If you aren't able to eat it in moderation, a couple of spoonfuls like your husband, perhaps set a goal where you do not have ANY ice cream for a month or so. You need to get it out of your system....and re-establish a healthier relationship to treats like this. Or find a low cal alternative and have ONE serving - just enough so you don't feel deprived, but avoiding your trigger food.

I don't think anyone looks forward to Mondays, but is there a reason why you need a pint of ice cream to face the week? Unhappy at work? Maybe there is a change that you need to think about making. This sounds like a clear case of emotional eating, and you need to conquer this beast.

You can do this. Only allow yourself treats that fit within your MFP guidelines. Make yourself accountable...whatever it takes to meet your goals.
  • thisemmabites
    Options
    If you are serious about this, then yes, give up the pint. Get yourself some small freezer containers and split up the pint into small portions (1/2 cup or 1 cup) Take one out to eat and stop there. You will still get to finish a container, but it will be a small one. You still get your treat without blowing your calories right away. :happy:

This is the way to do it! I promise that it's worth it!!
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    UMm if you are eating your entire daily calories in one food I would say its a prob! How bout just a small bowl.. you say you use this to get over the sunday blues... with this being your weight loss journey do you really want food to be how you get over a bad day? It's time to learn to get over bad days with something other than food, or else you will be doing this forever.. time to relearn the mindset that a bad night won't be fixed by food!
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    That's a tough decision because I really think we all (well, maybe 95% of us) need a planned treat even as we are losing weight. Yet, that's a lot of calories to take in at one time.

My suggestion is to look for a high quality ice cream in one of the smaller 1/2 pint sizes. I have seen several brands offering this size lately. I think you'll still feel satisfied with half as much ice cream or less.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I'm not anti-ice cream, but if you really want to change yourself, using food to "help with the Sunday blues" is a bad idea. In my sincere experience, using food as a mind-altering substance is what made me out of control and seriously overweight.

Why not make a Sunday trip to an ice cream parlor and have a small serving there? It would still be delicious, but you could budget for it in your calories.

If you find you can't just have some, but need the whole pint...then I would say give it up entirely.

Just MHO,
    :flowerforyou:
  • leakewh
    leakewh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Don't give it up....just cut back...are you going to quit eating ice cream for the rest of your life...? I still ate popcorn and hersheys chocolate bars every week while I was losing my weight...just not as much lol...don't let it beat you...learn to control it...
  • DoreenN
    Options
    Here;s the deal if you want to lose over 50lbs then yes you have to give up things that make you gain weight. Its hard at first but you can do it. While you are actively trying to lose weight you need to be really strict about what you eat. Once you reach your goals than you can slowly bring back foods you enjoy but in moderation of course. A pint of ice cream is never acceptable. A serving size of ice cream is usually 1/2 a cup. Ben and Jerry's is also one of the fattest ice creams. I usually eat Eddy's slow churned ice cream and it is very good.
    Anyways if you would like friend me. Im a fitness instructor, beachbody coach, and about to become a personal trainer. Plus Ive lost 35lbs so know where you are coming from. I would love you to help motivate you and give you advice if you would like.
    -Doreen
  • platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    Options
    When I ate icecream, I only ate it (1) after an average serving size was served to me (at a local shop or parlor), and (2) in public...

There's something about indulging in public . . . not as fun. Unspoken accountability, perhaps.

I think treats are fine, but you don't want to undue your hard work . . .
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    If you can't eat a single serving, don't buy the Pint size. Try and get a healthier, low cal/fat/sugar brand that you like and buy in smaller quantities. If you absolutely must have B&J, then buy the 1/2 pint size, only that size and eat it and enjoy. But track it and account for it. If you already know you'll feel deprived, then keep it. You want to make a lifestyle change, bot live miserably. that's a set up for failure.
    So go ahead and eat it in moderation, you can't go wrong with moderation. With added in activities during the week, you'll be fine!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,013 Member
    Options
    I was doing the same thing with chunky monkey , not once a week , but often enough. I have cut it out and replaced it with skinny cow ice cream sandwiches , klondike slim bars(100 cal, they are small but very yummy) once in awhile either mcdonalds ice cream cone (only 150 cal) or pinkberry frozen yogurt a small is only 150 cal. so maybe you could try these. I hope this helps and good luck.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    1360 calories is more than you should be eating in a day, if not at least a large majority of it. I on a rare occasion eat a single serving of Ben and Jerry's low fat frozen yogurt, the Chocolate Brownie is 180 calories a serving. It still gives you your ben and jerry's fix, but it's a fraction of the calories. You don't have to give up everything you love to eat, but sacrifices have to be made. Portion control is #1, cutting out the junk is #2. It'll take time to get used to it, but those 50 pounds aren't gonna come off unless you do both.
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I would say YES give it up. I find that once my body is free from the sugar addiction I know longer feel the need or the want to indulge in sweet treats. Example: I LOVE (and i mean LOVE) the Cheesecake Factory. I knew we'd be in the neighborhood over the weekend so I grabbed some to take home...well, sure enough, I didn't eat even 1/3 of it because it was too sweet!!!

My point is, try to see if you can go without (without bingeing of course). Try to replace your Sunday night treat with frozen bananas, grapes, or other fruit along with a bit of exercise. You'll be easing the Sunday stress by exercising and using the fruit to help you with your sweet tooth. Your body will thank you for it believe me! :smile:

Good Luck!
  • talkativ15
    Options
    Everything is okay to eat in moderation...its the best way to stick to a diet and make a life change!! What I would suggest is to large market where they sell the individual size serving of the ice cream and buy a single serving of chubby hubby! If your worries about portion control only buy 1 a week. Just think by doing this and removing the temptation from your house you`ll save about 1000 calories every Sunday!!!
  • skinnyminnie
    skinnyminnie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Can you keep your tradition but use something that wouldn't take as many calories? Like for example, we have an ice cream store here that has really awesome low fat and low calorie soft serve frozen yogurt. I can't get a giant one, but I'll get a junior cone and then I'm all smiles because I got away with something, but it was only 200 calories or so.