How many glasses

Options
I know this sounds silly but I have the HARDEST time drinking water (or anything really)! I can have my coffee in the morning and work 8hrs having nothing to drink again. I will have a glass of water sitting on my desk or bring a water bottle and still not drink it. I'm lucky drinking a glass a day and that is with adding lemons or cucumber to it. Any tricks out there? I know I need to drink more!

Replies

• RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    No tricks for me. Before I started on this journey I drank next to no water and found my pee was dark orange and I had headaches left right and centre. Now, I drink 4/5 pints a day and have no headaches (Well 1 in 3 months) and my pee is clearer.

That's enough incentive to make me drink water. MAN UP AND JUST DRINK IT!! :)
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I try to place my glass of water within reach and my tea (I don't drink coffee anymore) just out of reach, its easier for me to drink water then :) yay for lazy
  • harlar
    harlar Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I think you have to just try and keep it in your mind that you're trying to drink more water and make yourself drink what is in front of you. Maybe schedule times and have an alarm go off on your phone? It can be really hard but I am getting more used to it.

I drink sugar-free diluting juice which is great because it has a strong flavour whilst still being water. I enjoy it more, and it's only between 2 and 5 calories a glass so I don't even track it! My boyfriend is amazing at keeping himself hydrated as he takes a big 2L bottle of mixed-up diluting juice to college and makes sure he drinks it all before he gets home.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I just make myself have a sip every time I remember, pretty much.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Have you tried carbonated water? Perhaps with a wee bit of juice?

Herbal teas? Hot water and lemon? Smaller glasses (pixie cup size) and you just decide to swig one every hour like medicine.

That's all I got.
  • lilmamajordie
    Options
    I don't know if this would work for you, but I HATE plain water. Flavored water, however--with Crystal Light, Mio, or even the generic store brand helps me out a lot. Now I drink about 34 oz per day (two normal-sized bottles). I should be drinking more, but at least it's something.
  • MissAubreyA
    Options
    Keep a cup in the bathroom and chug a glass real quick after brushing your teeth. That's two glasses a day.
  • UNLESS19
    UNLESS19 Posts: 118
    Options
    i used to be the same. i'd drink MAYBE a cup or just half of one, of tea then only have a glass or two of squash or something tasty but hey. basically now. i can drink 1L of water on a good day, maybe 1.5L and i did that by growing some balls and kicking the habit. ok water isn't very tasty and yes i craved juice and sweet drinks during the first month or two but hey. i'm fine now and it's part of my life. i have no idea how i'd go on without it now- i'm actually getting hydrated!
    if you are really struggling (i was going to try infused water but didn't need to- though it's still on my to-do list) just try putting fruit in a pitcher of water and infusing it.
    example i'm going to try is this
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/687105-cinnamon-apple-detox-spa-water

good luck and add me if you want someone to support and who understands! (trust me, i know it's not easy!)
    <3
    EDIT: Also if it gives you a kick up the bum drinking more WATER will help you loose weight! as you get rid of water weight and you use it to make sure you're ACTUALLY hungry and not just a bit dehydrated :)
  • mkemmc6009
    Options
    I drink water every time I think about eating a snack, makes me think harder about snacking and helps me get the extra water I need.
  • Aeramis13
    Aeramis13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    there are a number of free or very cheap apps available on various phone platforms that can help you track your water intake, set specific water related reminders, etc. Google something like "android apps track water intake" if you have an android phone, "iphone apps track water intake" if you have a iphone, and I think you can figure out what to google if you've got something else.
  • Megatwin07
    Megatwin07 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this isn't a fact, but the more you start drinking water, the more your body will crave to be hydrated. I too hated water, but I started forcing myself to drink it instead of soda or even vitamin water. The more I drank water, the more my body wanted it. Now I have to keep a bottle of water by bed because I wake up feeling dehydrated. I also set a goal to drink have my body weight in oz.throughout the day. So for me I use to weight 180/2=90 oz of water. Which is about 4 water bottles (mine is a camelbak at around 23oz.) Now I typically fill it up 3 times during work and drink one at night. Just keep trying! Also, the more you drink it keeps hunger at bay and makes you feel fuller!
  • Anonymous199616
    Options
    Me too! However I count coffee or tea since I drink it black, so to me it is water. Since it's basically a cup of water with a teaspoon of coffee in.
    Right now i'm drinking my water in the form of a cup of instant Cadburys hot chocolate for 40 cals :P
  • crazorbaq
    crazorbaq Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I drink about 16-18 cups per day. I am constantly drinking water and the more I drink, the more I get used to the taste, or lack thereof. I feel a huge difference in how my body actually functions when I am not drinking enough water. I have more energy, my skin is clearer, and I am not so sluggy feeling. I keep 3 bottles on my desk in the am, and my goal is to finish before lunch. Another with lunch and 2 or 3 more for afternoon. At home, I keep lemon or orange infused water in the fridge and have a 40oz mug I fill and drink that the rest of the night. Works for me, hope you can find something that will taste good enough for you to drink :)
  • loveanddestroyx
    loveanddestroyx Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I drink about 24 cups of water a day, and my pee is crystal clear :)

Of course, this means many pee breaks.
  • kmbrown91
    Options
    My husband is becoming a personal trainer, this is the information he's getting. It may motivate you to drink more. I usually drink over a gallon a day now! I no longer drink Soda or flavored water!

Fact 1: Coffee, soda, and tea dehydrate you. You must drink 24 ounces of clear water, to rehydrate from 8 ounces of Coffee, Tea or soda. Once you become dehydrated your mind thinks you are hungry so you eat. Over half of the calories we eat are because we are dehydrated not because we are hungry.

Fact 2: You should be drinking half your body weight in ounces of water per day minimum. If you weigh 200 pounds you need to drink 100 ounces.

Fact 3: Drinking the correct amount of water speeds up your metabolism! Which helps you lose weight. It also curbs your appetite. You feel fuller longer, you eat less.

Fact 4: Drinking the correct amount of water helps to flush the fat and toxins from your body. It also helps you to have a clearer complexion and firmer softer skin.

Fact 5: The main reason I drink so much now, the more you drink it the more you crave it! I drink it from a straw that helps me to drink more.

Studies have shown that people who drink the correct amount of water while dieting lost twice as much weight as people who did not drink enough water!

I started by keeping an 8 ounce styrofoam cup on my desk and every half hour to 45 minutes I would fill it with water from my water bottle and drink it down. Now I have a 24 ounce cup with a straw that I refill 4 to 5 times a day while i"m working.
  • KatyCurtin
    KatyCurtin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I bought 8 ounce glasses. I have one when I get up, before I even pee. Then I shower and get dressed. Brush teeth, have another 8 ounces. Two down, in small doses, and I haven't even left the house.

Get to work, pour coffee and a 16 Oz water. There's 4 servings with almost no effort on my part.

Another 16 Oz at lunch, 16 Oz at dinner and I've achieved my goal. Plus I like water better than anything other than beer, so I randomly/voluntarily drink it during the day. I usually consume way more than my eight glasses.
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone :) My focus this week is WATER WATER WATER :)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Fact 1: Coffee, soda, and tea dehydrate you. You must drink 24 ounces of clear water, to rehydrate from 8 ounces of Coffee, Tea or soda. Once you become dehydrated your mind thinks you are hungry so you eat. Over half of the calories we eat are because we are dehydrated not because we are hungry.

Actually, that's a myth. Studies have shown for more than a decade that there is no significant difference between caffeinated and non-caffeinated beverages in their effects on hydration, except in the case of non-caffeine drinkers who take a large amount of caffeine. Caffeine's diuretic effect quickly disappears when you're used to drinking caffeinated beverages. In other words, if you *start* drinking coffee, tea, and caffeinated soda, you may experience dehydration, but if you regularly consume them, they have the same hydrating effect as water.

Sources (PubMed abstracts and citations): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11022872 and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19774754.

Also, drinking too much water can lead to hyponatremia (low blood salt levels), which produces symptoms similar to dehydration and can be fatal to endurance athletes. Dr. Tim Noakes has done studies on the problem and has written a book, "Waterlogged," about it: http://www.outsideonline.com/blog/outdoor-adventure/tim-noakes-on-the-serious-problem-of-overhydration-in-endurance-sports.html
  • phyl303
    phyl303 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My husband is becoming a personal trainer, this is the information he's getting. It may motivate you to drink more. I usually drink over a gallon a day now! I no longer drink Soda or flavored water!

Fact 2: You should be drinking half your body weight in ounces of water per day minimum. If you weigh 200 pounds you need to drink 100 ounces.

Fact 3: Drinking the correct amount of water speeds up your metabolism! Which helps you lose weight. It also curbs your appetite. You feel fuller longer, you eat less.

Fact 4: Drinking the correct amount of water helps to flush the fat and toxins from your body. It also helps you to have a clearer complexion and firmer softer skin.

Fact 5: The main reason I drink so much now, the more you drink it the more you crave it! I drink it from a straw that helps me to drink more.

Studies have shown that people who drink the correct amount of water while dieting lost twice as much weight as people who did not drink enough water!

I started by keeping an 8 ounce styrofoam cup on my desk and every half hour to 45 minutes I would fill it with water from my water bottle and drink it down. Now I have a 24 ounce cup with a straw that I refill 4 to 5 times a day while i"m working.

THIS! +1

My only trick is deal making. I have to bargain myself into making better choices. During the work-week, I fill a 32 ounces sportsbottle when I arrive at work. I make a "Deal" with myself to empty it before I go to lunch. Then when I return from lunch I repeat the "deal" before the end of the work-day. That's the magic 64 ounces. Water before work, at lunch, and after work are then the "extra" water that helps me lose weight.

A personal trainer friend taught me to drink 32 ounces FIRST THING every morning to kick start my day. Some days that is hard and I only get half that down because I hit the snooze bar too many times. I can see that it helps, though.

I also subscribe to the half my body weight in ounces a day rule and now find it easy to go over. Like other posters here, I find myself more thirsty and less likely to mistake thirst for hunger. I'm seeing health and beauty benefits to hydration, as well: clearer skin, less need for moisturizers and lip balm, better and more regular elimination.

Water is the key to my success thus far. Staying hydrated keeps me from being as hungry and the benefits are awesome.

You will develop a taster for plain water once you get accustomed to it.