MUST READ: An Open Apology to Weight Loss Clients

Options

Replies

• Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Standing, clapping, wiping away a tear. Bravo. Good find.
  • BITEME_GRRR
    BITEME_GRRR Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Forgive yourself, Learn and move on.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Stuff like this terrifies me. Good read though.
  • brandynot
    brandynot Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!
  • MrsRosenow
    MrsRosenow Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Such a great article! Thank you very much for posting :)
  • happyjerseygirl123
    happyjerseygirl123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I really liked the post but I have a question. If this is so bad, why does MFP say that I should only eat 1200 calories a day? I am 5'3 and weigh 139 but would like to lose 10 to 15 pounds and I set my goal as 1 pound a week and I run 3 days a week for 1 hour each. If this isn't right, then what gives?
  • marcgo2
    marcgo2 Posts: 15
    Options
    I really liked the post but I have a question. If this is so bad, why does MFP say that I should only eat 1200 calories a day? I am 5'3 and weigh 139 but would like to lose 10 to 15 pounds and I set my goal as 1 pound a week and I run 3 days a week for 1 hour each. If this isn't right, then what gives?
    I think she's saying she told women to eat 1200 calories regardless of their BMR.
  • TheresaTester
    TheresaTester Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thank you:flowerforyou:
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    Thank you.

This was my story:

"I'm sorry because you were young and so beautiful and only there because your mother thought you needed to lose weight. And because there were too many of you like that. Girls who knew you were fine, but whose mothers pushed that belief out of you until you thought like she did. Until you thought there was something wrong with you. And the one time I confronted your mother, you simply got switched to a different consultant. I think I should have made more of a stink, but I didn't. I'm sorry because you were in high school and an athlete, and I pray that you weren't screwed up by that 1,500 calorie diet. Seriously, world? Seriously? A teenage girl walks in with no visible body fat and lots of muscle tone, tells you she's a runner and is happy with her weight... but her mother says she's fat and has to lose weight and so we help her do just that. As an individual, as women, as a company, hell, as a nation, we don't stand up for that girl? What is wrong with us? There ain't nothing right about that. Nothing."

You are brave for writing this. Blessings to you. And forgive yourself. k? xo
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Chronic dieting is a profitable industry. Makes sense. I hope tons of people read this. I don't think the writer is saying that 1200 is too low for everyone. I think they're just saying there is no one-size-fits-all plan. ♥
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I read this article this morning and read some of the accompanying comments. I agree with one commentator who said the piece lacked any kind of information, it was very vague. It's a nice story, but without the flesh (which company? which clients, one or many? etc) it reads almost like a fan-faction!

IDK, don't you think the general sentiment is readily applicable regardless of the actual company or clients? I kinda feel like the message is readily transferable and applicable across companies and clients. Particularly given the rampant isomorphic tendencies in the weight loss industry generally. :-)

Like I said, it's a nice story, but it is, overall, a fluff piece.

It's similar to how I feel about the Dove commercials. Dove 'real women' campaign is beautiful on the surface, but then you realize the company is owned by Unilever which makes skin whitening products in Asia or has commercials which glamorize the female body for men's pleasure and it kind of detracts from the overall message.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    "A teenage girl walks in with no visible body fat and lots of muscle tone, tells you she's a runner and is happy with her weight... but her mother says she's fat and has to lose weight and so we help her do just that. As an individual, as women, as a company, hell, as a nation, we don't stand up for that girl? What is wrong with us? There ain't nothing right about that. Nothing. "

this made me tear up!

I struggled with an eating disorder for years because my bulimic mother constantly told me I was fat, what the hell!

Lets encourage health and happiness, not dieting!

This letter is absolutely amazing!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I read this article this morning and read some of the accompanying comments. I agree with one commentator who said the piece lacked any kind of information, it was very vague. It's a nice story, but without the flesh (which company? which clients, one or many? etc) it reads almost like a fan-faction!

Right, I went to read the original. I liked the article, but was disappointed by the lack of ways to fix the problem. And frankly depressed by the "Meet Our Body Image Heroes" and comments beneath the article. I think the heros are great, however, placing them right beneath this article just reinforces the message that "1200-1500 cals" a day or overweight are the only options.

First off, kudos for posting, OP, and more for properly attributing the article to its source.

Second, to the above poster, one way to fix the problem was provided right there in the article and it's something that is said every day in these forums. I quote:

Just eat food. Eat real food, be active, and live your life. Forget all the diet and weight loss nonsense. It's really just that. Nonsense.

Put another way:

Eat less, move more.

There is no bad food or good food, only food.

And yes, if you have a ED, then seek counseling, not help with losing weight.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options

IDK, don't you think the general sentiment is readily applicable regardless of the actual company or clients? I kinda feel like the message is readily transferable and applicable across companies and clients. Particularly given the rampant isomorphic tendencies in the weight loss industry generally. :-)

It's similar to how I feel about the Dove commercials. Dove 'real women' campaign is beautiful on the surface, but then you realize the company is owned by Unilever which makes skin whitening products in Asia or has commercials which glamorize the female body for men's pleasure and it kind of detracts from the overall message.

I get why one could feel like Dove is trying to cash in on a "love your body" image thing, and is ultimately using this less for altruism and more to increase corporate profits, but I don't get how that analogy plays out for this piece. The author is just apologizing for doing her clients a disservice.
  • firstloveyourself
    firstloveyourself Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    One of the best articles I've read in a long time. Amazing.
  • crazorbaq
    crazorbaq Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    wow, very moving. kudos for whoever had the balls to put it out there and thank you for sharing!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

MPF doesn't suggest 1200. It suggests a minimum of 1200, plus exercise calories. Also, it depends on how accurately or appropriately the user sets up his/her profile.

When I had 30 pounds to lose and set it to 2 pounds a week and sedentary, of course it gave me 1200. But I shouldn't have set it for 2 pounds a week and I wasn't really sedentary. When I had the right activity level and right weekly goal, I had more calories. When I was down to the last 10 pounds, I was set to 1500 (plus exercise calories) to lose a half pound a week. I lost weight eating a total of between 1800-2000+ calories.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Lové this
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options

I totally disagree with you. Fanfiction? Fluff? It makes a clear point. Companies (doesn't really matter which) profit off of people desperate to lose weight. Regardless and perhaps even in spite of negative physical consequences. Why does it need to be any more complex than that to make a valuable point?
  • bobbystrongarm
    Options
    Who ever wrote this, you are awesome for coming out and saying this. Shame you are leaving the industry though now that you possess the correct knowledge and the backbone to teach people correctly. There are still a lot of dumb trainers and people who choose to follow advice from damaging diet plans.

It's scary to think people out there still buy into the diets you and your company were once pushing. Everyone is looking for the diet they don't have to think about and want immediate results.

I really wish people would take the time to educate themselves about nutrition and sports nutrition. Even on this very forum there are so many people still practicing terrible dieting habits thinking its healthy. Forums are great if the people answering the questions are experienced and informed, but a lot of times the information found is just poorly regurgitated rhetoric

Read a book. .