Calories eaten vs calories burned

Options
Ok I have been trying to figure this out. I normally eat about 1300-1450 calories a day but each day I also burn between 400-600 calories. I can't imagine eating more than I am - I'm not hungry nor do I have the time.

Let's take today as an example. I currently have 700+ calories I am short in intake however it's 8pm at night. I worked out at lunch and will likely walk on my treadmill for 45-60 minutes before I go to sleep. which means another 200 calorie shortage in food. I thought the idea was to eat less than you burn I am but everyone says I don't eat enough.

please take a look at today for a typical example. Remember I have worked out once today and will likely burn some more before I go to bed. Can someone give me a few pointers on good calories I might be able to eat to help make a balance. i can probably do another protein shake but that is only 150 calories, at least it's good for me.

Thoughts

Replies

• lindzbindz
    Options
    I think it is fine. i do not eat my calories that they give me extra for burning at the gym. but remember these are suggestions on the information you have given them. my only choice was to lose 2 pounds a week but really i would love to lose more than that so since i want more than that i changed my calorie intake to what i think it should be and i still do not eat my extra calories that i burn because then i would only lose one or two pounds a week! but a good rule to stick to is if your hungry eat and if your not dont make yourself thats definetly not good. but if you are still concerned try eating maybe a bigger breakfast or not to watch your calories as much during a certain meal and it should be easy to get those calories!
  • Squash97
    Options
    I looked at your diary and you eat really well! If I were you, I wouldn't worry about eat ALL the exercise calories, but maybe shoot for 1/2. You should be able to get some easy high calorie foods without making you feel like you're stuffing yourself. You could add an extra egg (with the yolk) to your breakfast wrap, and eat some nuts. This would give you a little bit of extra calories, great protien, and healthy fats. You just don't want your body to feel like it's starving. As long as you are eating when you are hungry and don't feel like you're starving, and you're still losing weight, then I'd say you're fine. If you stop losing weight, then you're body is slowing it's metabolism so that it can "survive" off minimal calories, but if you are still losing weight, then you're doing something right. Congratulations on all your hard work. And by the way, if those are your kiddos in your picture - they are soooo stinking cute!!! :)
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I thought the idea was to eat less than you burn I am but everyone says I don't eat enough.
    Thoughts

The amount of calories MFP gives you to lose does NOT include exercise calories--your base calories already has the deficit figured in. So once you exercise, your deficit gets bigger--too big. Since it is more sustainable and healthy to maintain a smaller deficit for weight loss, it is then recommended that the exercise calories be eaten. Your deficit will still be there. Just make sure you are not overestimating your exercise cals which is what many people do.
  • saychzzz
    saychzzz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't drop below 1200 calories a day, you should be fine. Burning more calories will make you lose faster than what the program is figuring. 1200 calories is the minimum you can eat and not put your body into starvation mode. The extras from exercise could be consumed and you'd still lose your goal for the week. Not eating them may make you lose faster- remember though that working out also builds muscle and at some point you may find you're weight loss is stalled. Muscle weighs more than fat. But after a while, the weight will start falling off again because muscle burns more calories than fat to maintain. Best of luck to you!!
  • boogie17
    boogie17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i don't eat all my calories either. i'm usually left with 1000 calories left to eat after working out.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Forget the "fancy" stuff. If YOU have a Plan, Follow It. If I went by these suggested numbers and all the "do-dads" I'm supposed to weight 92 lbs. Follow YOUR Plan or you may find yourself GAINING weight instead of losing weight. Theories usually don't work on real people 98% of the time.

Also, forget that 1200 calories per day thing...that's a "theory" too. Do YOU, be steady/Constant in whatever You decide to do and it will work!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I notice a whole lot of advice given from new members. Let's hear about a veteran. One of our most famous members, who advocates eating the exercise calories. My friend TamTastic, who appeared on the today show on behalf of MFP, lost 135+ lbs by following MFP's plan.

If you are confused as to why you should be eating back your exercise calories, this thread is chock full of valuable information:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

MFP has been set up to establish a defecit between your intake and your calorie burn. If you increase that defecit too much, you'll: 1. likely fall off the plan, because it's so difficult to maintain that extreme level, and 2. depress your metabolism, making it harder and harder to lose weight.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Being new to MFP does NOT mean being new to weight loss...it just means I found a Calorie Counter that is better equipped than the one I used before. Also, a Calorie Counter can not take credit for anyone's weight loss or maintenance. A Calorie Counter is a Tracking Tool. Many people have lost weight and NEVER used such a tool and I know many people losing weight who prefer writing in a Journal daily of what they eat because they feel more engaged. Most people are not going to lose weight and keep it off because of the "Science" of weight loss, they are going to stick to a Plan and lose weight because of what is in their Hearts and Spirit. For every 1 wt loss story about following a "Science" of wt loss, I will give you 200 of those who followed their OWN Plan because they learned what WORKED for them and they stuck with it! I'm 1 of those 200...in the last 12 months I have lost over 80 lbs. and still losing but I have been on MFP for about 4 weeks...so I am a wt loss vet. And I do believe that a person has to find out what works for their body. If someone does not yet know what works for them, they might want to start with the numbers that a Calorie Counter gives them, but KNOW this, each site gives different numbers on an exercise burned calories, basil caloric intake needed and so on, some of those differences are substantial. So for Me, if I know that I can work, exercise, lose weight and do what I need to do while eating about 1100 calories per day, I'm good with that...if I switch to eating 500 calories per day extra because a site says that is what I burned and 2 or 4 weeks I look up and have gained weight or my wt loss has slowed...I will probably make a change (that's about learning yourself.)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You should be eating most of those calories if not all. An easy way to eat up calories healthfully: one large banana, 2 tbsp peanut butter, whole grain bread of your choice (whole wheat bagel, whole grain bread, whatever you want), and 1 tsp of honey. I like to spread the PB on 2 slices bread, cut up the banana in slices and line it all up on the bread best I can, then drizzle honey over top and eat. You can also make just half a sandwich with 1 slice depending on how many calories you have...typically it turns out to be:

Bread - 100-150 cals 2 slices
    PB - 170-200 cals for 2 tbsp
    Honey - 60 cals 1 tBsp (so 1/3 of that for 1 tsp)
    Banana - large 108 cals

So if you have a lot and don't want to FILL up, try this! Or, get a protein shake that's about 100 cals, stir it in some milk (another 100) and add PB (200), or leave the PB and just do milk. When I work out, I find this is the easiest way to eat up those extra calories & then I meet my protein goal for the day and know my muscles are getting what they need to grow stronger!
  • misskatieanne
    misskatieanne Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you feel healthy & strong when you are exersizing then stick to what you are doing, you are listening to what your body is telling you it needs and that is the most important thing to learn long term IMHO.

Not many people can honestly say their appetite stays static all the time; just as you are less hungry now there may be times when you feel the need to eat a little more.

I feel that forcing yourself to eat when you feel full is not good psychologically or physically.

Well done on your achievements so far!