Passed out at gym today

Options

Replies

• sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with sleep. You out exercise your intake. You are taking in literally NO calories. Of course you're losing weight, you're STARVING.

Side effects of Starvation:

Starvation: Starvation can have very serious effects on all major body systems and organs. The basic metabolic response to starvation is to conserve body tissues and energy. However, the body will also start to use its own tissue, including muscle and organs, for energy since the body has no food to use instead, The liver and intestines typically lose the highest percentage of their own weight during starvation, followed by the heart and kidneys which both lose a moderate amount of weight. This often causes permanent damage to the organs in the process. Because someone's heart size may be reduced, they will experience low blood pressure and a slowed pulse. It cans also lead to cardiac arrest or kidney failure. Total starvation is usually fatal in 8 to 12 weeks.

Dehydration: the healthy functioning of cells and tissues is dependent upon a certain level of water content in the body. Also, salt and other minerals need to be kept within a narrow range. In a person who has become dehydrated, it's possible they are suffering from a depletion in salt as well as water. Long-term dehydration can
    ultimately lead to kidney failure.

Muscle and cartilage: Over-exercise can put a huge strain on muscles and cartilage, particularly if the exercise is concentrated on one area for long periods of time.

Bones: Osteoporosis is a loss of protein matrix tissue (density) from bones, leaving them brittle and susceptible to fracture. Although it is a natural part of the aging process, the chances of developing osteoporosis later in life are significantly increased for anorectics, due to hormone changes. Bones may also stop growing, which causes stunted growth in younger anorectics.

Irregular or abnormally slow heart rate: An irregular or slow heart rate can mean that the heart muscle is undergoing changes. This is likely to lead to low blood pressure and, the lower blood pressure and heart rate goes, the greater the risk of heart failure.

Heart failure: The heart muscle is extremely sensitive and can become thin and flabby from nutritional deficiency. A lack of calories and protein can have a negative effect on the heart, and body chemical may become so imbalanced that heart failure occurs.

Sexual function: the body does not have enough fat to produce oestrogen in females, which will cause amenorrhea (cessation of periods) and infertility, and testosterone in men, resulting in low sex drive.

Lanugo growth: lanugo (fine hair) grows all over the body to keep it warm, compensating for the lack of insulating fat in the body.

Hyperactivity: The body relies on adrenaline (a hormone that is normally released during times of stress and fear) instead of food for energy. This causes excitability.

See the heart stuff? That's what should scare you. Most heart events have clues before the catastrophic event. Today is your clue.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with sleep. You out exercise your intake. You are taking in literally NO calories. Of course you're losing weight, you're STARVING.

Side effects of Starvation:

Starvation: Starvation can have very serious effects on all major body systems and organs. The basic metabolic response to starvation is to conserve body tissues and energy. However, the body will also start to use its own tissue, including muscle and organs, for energy since the body has no food to use instead, The liver and intestines typically lose the highest percentage of their own weight during starvation, followed by the heart and kidneys which both lose a moderate amount of weight. This often causes permanent damage to the organs in the process. Because someone's heart size may be reduced, they will experience low blood pressure and a slowed pulse. It cans also lead to cardiac arrest or kidney failure. Total starvation is usually fatal in 8 to 12 weeks.

Dehydration: the healthy functioning of cells and tissues is dependent upon a certain level of water content in the body. Also, salt and other minerals need to be kept within a narrow range. In a person who has become dehydrated, it's possible they are suffering from a depletion in salt as well as water. Long-term dehydration can
    ultimately lead to kidney failure.

Muscle and cartilage: Over-exercise can put a huge strain on muscles and cartilage, particularly if the exercise is concentrated on one area for long periods of time.

Bones: Osteoporosis is a loss of protein matrix tissue (density) from bones, leaving them brittle and susceptible to fracture. Although it is a natural part of the aging process, the chances of developing osteoporosis later in life are significantly increased for anorectics, due to hormone changes. Bones may also stop growing, which causes stunted growth in younger anorectics.

Irregular or abnormally slow heart rate: An irregular or slow heart rate can mean that the heart muscle is undergoing changes. This is likely to lead to low blood pressure and, the lower blood pressure and heart rate goes, the greater the risk of heart failure.

Heart failure: The heart muscle is extremely sensitive and can become thin and flabby from nutritional deficiency. A lack of calories and protein can have a negative effect on the heart, and body chemical may become so imbalanced that heart failure occurs.

Sexual function: the body does not have enough fat to produce oestrogen in females, which will cause amenorrhea (cessation of periods) and infertility, and testosterone in men, resulting in low sex drive.

Lanugo growth: lanugo (fine hair) grows all over the body to keep it warm, compensating for the lack of insulating fat in the body.

Hyperactivity: The body relies on adrenaline (a hormone that is normally released during times of stress and fear) instead of food for energy. This causes excitability.

See the heart stuff? That's what should scare you. Most heart events have clues before the catastrophic event. Today is your clue.

Thanks for posting this. I was thinking of lowering my cals a few wks ago and saw something similar, along w a top search result in Google about someone dying from eating the same amt of calories, and boy did that change my mind! I hope that it has the same result for the OP. I know that you said you'd increase your cals, but I get the sense that you're still in denial that your low cals are the reason for you passing out. I've passed out after not eating much all day and being in the sun at the bus stop. Pretty much the same thing that happened to you except you were exercising. See a doctor or be honest with your trainer.

Edit for clarification: I don't want the low cals to have the same result (death) as the person I was reading about. I want the article to have the same result/effect that it had on me. :laugh:
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    How can you even function on so low calories? I feel so sad even thinking about eating so less :(
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm not eating enough....got with a personal trainer ....did a few squats and my heart rate went way up .....sat down and passed out 3 times , they called the paramedics , trying to work out on an empty stomach did I think plus my cals. are too low .

my BMR is around 1500 and to loose I was eating 600 - 800 cals a day and swimming 90 min.

I have some rethinking to do as soon as my brain starts workin again ...still feel a lil out of it

So OP, what did the doctor and the paramedics say the passing out was due to?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    If you have been doing a very low calorie diet for six months without nutritional testing and supplements supplied by a physician, you may very well be killing yourself and it could happen very quickly. Very low calorie diets have been linked to hundreds of deaths from heart arrhythmias. This morning may have been a very loud warning!!!!! Get to a doctor and probably to a cardiologist as well!!!!!!!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

It takes eating super low for me to loose weight I've been doing this for 6 months now and have gauged what works and what doesn't .
    If you think this is correct then I would suspect mental illness. PLease listen to what we are all telling you. You need to increase your calories, by a lot, urgently.

First, lets not throw the mental illness card. (nobody here knows all of the specifics) Second, if the OP has been eating at such drastic levels for 6 months, a slower increase may be more appropriate so the body can adjust.

OP: You might want to see your doctor, tell them what has been going on and go from there.
    I didn't throw it out there immediately. I am judging by OPs refusal to believe 600 odd calories a day for 6 months+ could be anything less than right, despite science saying differently, despite everyone else saying differently, and despite having passed out multiple times.

Of course I am not a doctor, but something is going on there, and I think they need to see a doctor as I did mention earlier.
    I think if this was a young girl saying all this stuff people would have been saying she is an anorexic and to get help from the first post.

I completely agree that something is going on and the OP should seek a medical professional. I was simply pointing out that throwing out mental illness is not appropriate because of the limited information provided in the OP, as well as not knowing anything else about the OP.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Your diary made me sad :(

For men, the bare minimum is 1500-1800 (depending on the source). Given your activity level and the fact that you are so close to goal, you should really be at 1800 *at least*.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm not eating enough....got with a personal trainer ....did a few squats and my heart rate went way up .....sat down and passed out 3 times , they called the paramedics , trying to work out on an empty stomach did I think plus my cals. are too low .

my BMR is around 1500 and to loose I was eating 600 - 800 cals a day and swimming 90 min.

I have some rethinking to do as soon as my brain starts workin again ...still feel a lil out of it

You can't take a multivitamin in the hopes it will make up for the extremely low calorie diet you're on. A multivitamin can't make up for a proper diet.

Please eat more. You're not eating in a way that can be sustained. Once you go off the diet of 600 calories, you're setting yourself for weight gain. I'm shorter than you and a woman, I eat more calories than you in a day.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    If you only lose weight at 600-800 calories per day then 1 of 2 issues are going on here:

1: You lack patience and want to see 1-2 (or more) lbs come off each week no matter what it does to you.
    2: You have a serious medical condition.

If I had to guess, it would be 1, but you should go see a doctor and rule out 2.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses , I had just woken up , went to the gym ,still half asleep.. PT did ask if I ate anything , I'm a male 57 , {the avatar is not me} thought I would start cross training as I'm 9 lbs. from my goal weight , even though I have been swimming for 6 months everyday ...the new routine threw me . being 55 lbs. over weight for years I hated walking and my legs are not in good shape , Just 20 squats with no weight did it

It takes eating super low for me to loose weight I've been doing this for 6 months now and have gauged what works and what doesn't .

Since I'm almost there I will increase cals and go into cross training slowly

No, you do not have to eat that low to lose weight. You have damaged your health so your metabolism has slowed. Your body is sending you a LOUD CLEAR message: Please, stop.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    this may have happened due to other reasons in addition to poor nutrition. Hope you got medical clearance from the doctor to continue using a trainer.

Exactly. Of course, 600 to 800 isn't much, but I wouldn't think that alone would make an obese person pass out. I'd go up to 1200 AND get checked out by a doctor ASAP.

The OP has 9 lbs to lose. I don't think he's obese. I do agree he should be checked out by his Doctor and with 9 lbs to go should be eating far more than 1200.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    DUDE!!!!

Yes. I'm yelling at you. I weigh 179 pounds and am cutting at 1850 (which is seriously low). There are plenty of people here who can help you plan your calorie intake and eating plan. Do not continue on this path.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Not sure your brain was working before, either. It needs fuel. Please seriously rethink your calorie intake, your body is trying to tell you something.

I agree. Your body is telling you something. Please listen to it. Start by eating 1500 cals of good food , not including what you burn.
    Who are you quoting there?
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    you should have your blood glucose checked as well
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Think about it.
  • ptaradactyl88
    ptaradactyl88 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I hope your personal trainer told you "not" to eat that low of calories!

^^^^^^^
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

I haven't read any of the other replies but your BMR is the amount of calories you burn a day to keep your vital organs alive if you were laying in bed. You should be eat more than your BMR while trying to lose weight. 600-800 cals is extremely unhealthy.

Edit: I've said this in another thread, but if you or anyone else need help calculating your calories that would be healthy for you to lose weight on, send me a PM
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    DUDE!!!!

Yes. I'm yelling at you. I weigh 179 pounds and am cutting at 1850 (which is seriously low). There are plenty of people here who can help you plan your calorie intake and eating plan. Do not continue on this path.
    ^^^^
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I checked out this forum again today and I hope you take everyone's advice seriously. If you have any questions what so ever, inbox me or add me as a friend. If not, just heed everyone else's warning! Your health depends on making a change asap. Take care man:)
  • labud1
    labud1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for all the responses ...

I think everyone who diets wants to eat as many calories as they can get away with and still loose weight....right?

So I started at 1200 and lost maybe a lb. every 2 weeks , then went to 1100 and lost 1 1/2 lbs. every 2 weeks , I had to go down to 800 just to loose 2 lbs. a week plus swim 45 min. or 1500 yds. a day .... that worked for 2/3 of the weight loss , but then my body adjusted ...so I got pissed and doubled my laps to 120 lengths a day or 3000 yds . which takes about 90 min. that worked,... scale started moving again ...but then my body got adjusted to that and I didn't loose for 2 weeks , so I went to 600-800 a day and am making progress again.... only 10 to go...

my whole adult life I have eaten 1 large meal a day along with beer earlier ...that's what got me fat and my bodies used to that ,

when I eat a half chicken at 4-5pm I'm full and go to sleep still feeling full ....the only time I'm hungry is for 2-3 hours after swimming before I eat .

I have lost on average 8-9 lbs. per month nothing drastic . If I could I would eat more and will soon ...I'm almost there . thanks for your concern but I feel great after swimming 120 lengths a day 7 days a week

The paramedics said my blood sugar was good , pulse, BP, and heart were all good and that sometimes squats can do that

I've gotten in great shape for swimming but cross training is next ( tread mill , elliptical, bike , stairs,) when I hit my goal weight . I will up my cals . every day till I see a weight gain and take it very easy in the beginning as I'm still out of shape for other types of exercise besides swimming

If anyone wants to add me as a friend please feel free to. and thanks again