How much water in a cup?

Options
I understand why I need to drink water, but when I am tracking 'a cup' I am not sure how much this is! It could be a really small glass or a pint - and the answer is probably in between. So my question is - How big is a Cup?

Cathryn

Replies

• abble_pie
    abble_pie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    8 oz
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I think ultimately, that's up to you. But in terms of measurement:

US Cup = 8oz
  • jonsey_s
    jonsey_s Posts: 222
    Options
    240ml
  • RBurnham90
    RBurnham90 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Some people are completely unaware that google exists
  • spongeh
    spongeh Posts: 152 Member
    Options

Google gives me these results

Metric cup = 250 millilitres
    United States customary cup = 236 millilitres
    United States "legal" cup = 240 millilitres
    Imperial cup = 284 millilitres

So not quite as easy as you make out and maybe the correct course of action for the OP is to actually post on the forum of the site they're using to ask which cup measurement they're refering to.
  • RBurnham90
    RBurnham90 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

So not quite as easy as you make out and maybe the correct course of action for the OP is to actually post on the forum of the site they're using to ask which cup measurement they're refering to.

For as long as I've been alive a standard cup has been 8 oz/236 ml. Not sure what would make you think otherwise
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

What google are you using? I immediately got an answer of "8 ounces" when I googled it...
  • spongeh
    spongeh Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    There you go, googling for an answer is not the correct resposne as you get different results depending on you locale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_(unit)

BTW in the UK we use the metric system and have no concept of what an 8oz cup is.... perfectly valid question by the OP
  • Mrscaperton
    Options
    There you go, googling for an answer is not the correct resposne as you get different results depending on you locale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_(unit)

BTW in the UK we use the metric system and have no concept of what an 8oz cup is.... perfectly valid question by the OP

Here here :OD
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    8 ounces is a cup,but,If I am correct, I believe she wants to know what size glass holds 8oz. I own a few Nalgene bottles that are labeled up to 32oz. I try to drink 2 bottle fulls per day.Thinking of my intake as "two bottles" rather than "8 cups" makes it easy. If I'm really thirsty, I will take a long drink and think to myself, "That's most of the bottle," when I put the lid back on. It's encouraging to see how quickly my daily intake is achieved,and I have been exceeding 8 servings a day without having to think about it!

However, if you want to simply go by "glass size" rather than selecting a labeled,reusable bottle (which I really suggest), I used a measuring cup in order to see which one of my glasses would suffice. I found that one of my small,tempered juice glasses are an 8oz serving.