Lifting Newbie with a Macro Question

Options
Hi, guys! I've been lurking around these forums for a few months, learning a lot, and now have a question I didn't see a topic for.

Question
What are good macro targets for someone starting a strength program?

Background
--I'm a complete beginner to lifting, having only done cardio previously. I've been doing 35-70 (usually 70) minutes, 3 days a week, for the past 9 weeks.
--I started this program (probably going to go with Stronglifts 5x5, but considering Nia Shanks) on Sunday because I want to be stronger, in general and in my lower back especially (herniated disk 5 years ago).
--I've hit a plateau the past few weeks just doing cardio and calorie deficit, and lifting just appeals to me.

My macros are currently set to default (profile is open), but I've been shooting for higher protein and lower carbs. I'd just like to be able to set them correctly so the reports don't look so over/under.

And if you have any other advice for a newbie lifter, fire away. My quads hate me so much right now, but I love love love picking up those heavy things!

Replies

• tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    1 lbs of protein per pound of LBM, around 50-80g of healthy fats work for most people.

For Carbs, find out what works best for you. Some people find they can lift without carbs, while others need lots of carbs.

Start with heavy compound movements, but take care to learn the proper form. Especially for someone who's herniated a disk in the past. If you feel any sharp pains in your back where you've herniated your disk, stop what you're doing immediately and reassess.

Good luck.
  • H4rpy
    H4rpy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Good deal. The compound movements make a lot of sense and have helped me realize where my weak points are (shoulders, wow). I've focused on starting rather slowly to avoid injury, and my back is holding up surprisingly well. Everything feels good so far.

Sounds like I need to calculate my LBM and go from there. Thank you for the info! :-)
  • margebouvierx2
    Options
    I've read some really great stuff on a body building site regarding your question.
    Have a Google for "body building/ strength training" and you will find all you need to know.
  • H4rpy
    Options
    Heh, I just did that to figure out how to calculate LBM, and you're right. Thanks, Marge! :-)
  • VegeLover
    VegeLover Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    For the sore spots, a habit of post-workout stretching and/or foam rolling is key.
    For diet balance, try to limit carbs to breakfast and just post-workout and give yourself protein at those times too. Your muscles will reward you for feeding them. Congratulations on embracing the benefits of lifting.
  • Jill_with_a_G
    Jill_with_a_G Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi Harpy! I'm starting weight training too after just doing cardio. I too have a lower back issue and am working hard to strengthen my core to help support my back. I use the machines as it seems to not aggravate my back. Every other day, I do total body weights with cardio. I push myself just a little every other time. Sometimes I can, sometimes the body just says stay put for another time. I'm trying to balance the low carb high protein thing too. I'm looking to start adding in a few carbs here and there. No real advice here, just support :) Nice to meet you and can't wait to hear about the progress you are going to make :) - G
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Most will suggest 1g of protein for 1lb of lean body mass - this is because it will ensure that you are not losing your muscle while you are trying to still lose weight. I have found that the fat/carb end of things is very personal. Some cannot function without their carbs, and will have them sitting pretty high. Others find they cannot drop weight without lower carbs or that they feel too hungry when their fats are lowered.

I suggest keep your protein consistently high (1for1) and then play around with your other macros - give a couple weeks to each attempted ratio before giving up or switching so you know for sure how your body reacts etc.
  • H4rpy
    Options
    Thank you so much, guys! Very helpful tips and support, and I appreciate all of you.

It's nice to meet you, too! Feel free to friend me and I'll keep you updated as I progress. Definitely excited to be moving into the weights at last. :-)