Going from 1200 to 1740.. gotta try it

Options
I have such a hard time believing it. But I am the type to believe what the masses say. And what some of you describe is exactly what has happened to me. I've been eating 1200 cals/day for about a month. First week it came flying off. Water weight. Then my weight slowed down the next week, feel flat the following week and then went up!

So I found my TDEE - 20% and it's 1740. Does that mean I need to eat 1740 every day? Can the range be 1550-1740? Seems like a lot, but I understand that my BMR went down when I was eating too little.

Replies

• RichardFL
    Options
    If you're doing TDEE-20, that number is your goal calories every day. You won't eat back exercise calories, just the same 1740 regardless of exercise done that day. That should result in losing just under a pound a week.

Your BMR almost definitely did not go down by eating 1200 calories for a single month. If you want to eat 1550 instead of 1740, go for that as long as 1550 is above your BMR. Whatever amount you eat is fine as long as you're getting the necessary nutrients, and you're eating enough not to be hungry after the transition period. The reason people suggest eating more than 1200 calories is that it is incredibly hard to get the necessary nutrients from only 1200 calories a day, and it's below the BMR for a whole lot of people.