MUSHROOMS love them or hate them??

Options
123457»

Replies

• judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms are gross. They are the bottom feeders of all other vegtables. Yuck, Yuck, Yuck!!!
    Except they aren't vegetables.

Ha Ha, good point, they are FUNGUS (Fungi?)

I hope we can still be friends even though we disagree on the deliciousness of 'shrooms.
  • phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    No way. I worked as a guard at a mushroom packing facility during college. I guarantee you'd never eat mushrooms again!

My brother works in mushroom research at a major university and I've toured the facility where they are grown and research is done. I didn't see anything that would be a put-off for eating them.
    Curious as to why you would say that...

Anyway - definite mushroom lover here!

The smell at the plant was absolutely DISGUSTING! But I actually disliked them before I started working there! I guess they just smell like dirt to me.
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I hate them. I keep trying to eat them, but they are just too gross for me. I think it's a texture issue, and I can't get over the fact that I'm eating a fungus.
  • hudson5473
    hudson5473 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love them but my son HATES them.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Oh they were SOOOO good!!!! Grilled some steaks for my husband and the mushrooms were better than the steak believe it or not!

I refuse to believe that... you need to buy better steaks- no way a fungus tasted better than dead cow. Nope- no way.

no mnom nomnom nom
    steak
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Love 'em! Roasted, then sauteed with garlic, olive oil, dash of chardonnay, cracked black pepper and rosemary over quinoa and chicken

Sounds yummy! I'm going to make this next week.

this sounds lovely, thanks for the idea...going to make this! :)
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I go through several pounds a week. We prefer baby portabellas, cremini and the standard white button. We tried oyster and ****take, but they are too fragile and best served in fancy dishes. We like the hearty, meatiness of the first three.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I :heart: mushrooms. the non-hallucinogenic, non-toxic kind.

While people generally scoff at alternatives to pizza bases, those large, flat mushrooms can be used as pizza bases and that looks really, really nice to me, I really want to try that.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options

While people generally scoff at alternatives to pizza bases, those large, flat mushrooms can be used as pizza bases and that looks really, really nice to me, I really want to try that.

you mean the big portabella tops that are sometimes used for stuffing? what an interesting idea! i'm gonna research that and share it on the vegan group.
  • tcmom72
    tcmom72 Posts: 32
    Options
    Love them!
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hate mushrooms.

When I cut into them when raw they squeak like styrofoam!

And cooked they're slimy! I even hate the smell of cream of mushroom soup.

I have tried to eat them but they just gross me out!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Love!

Why are there so many replies to this? I must go back and read if there is mushroom hating.
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options

I love doing this with the big portabella caps. Scoop out the fins, cook them for a bit with a dash of olive oil till mostly cooked through then add pizza toppings of choice and broil til tasty.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    We just had portabellos stuffed with homemade ricotta, oil-cured olives, fresh marjoram, and parmesan with strips of homemade roasted red pepper on top. Nom, nom, nom, nom ...
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I didn't like them until my first wife double-dog-dared me to try some in a sauce and over a steak. Then I was hooked. I saute them in garlic, butter, white wine and lemon juice. Sometimes, I add a little bit of A-1 sauce to give them a little tang and color.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Can't stand 'em. Almost as bad as Brocolli and Brussel Sprouts. However sweetcorn is the worst.

Are you even human?

Mushrooms, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and sweet corn are four of the best, most delicious foods on earth. Troll.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Love, love, LOVE, them!
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I like them myself but I can totally understand how some people complain about them being rubbery. I've unfortunately had that experience as well.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Oh, I love them, too! I also like the sort of meaty texture they achieve when they're cooked. I'll use a cup or more in an egg-white omelet.....num!

Mmmm...now I want a Portabello "Burger."
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

you mean the big portabella tops that are sometimes used for stuffing? what an interesting idea! i'm gonna research that and share it on the vegan group.

I think that sounds like a great idea! We're making zucchini/cheese and cauliflower pizza crusts tonight.