Decent running shoes?

Options
I've really got into my running recently (20+ miles per week in 3 sessions), but I'm getting bruised nails, bleeding toes and blisters. I think my shoes are too small although an alright make I think ( zoot triathlon shoes, 2nd hand though).

I'm going shopping tomorrow for new ones but have no idea what to get- I'm willing to pay for decent shoes, but don't want to get ripped off. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Try on a bunch of different ones. If you aren't adverse to it, get fitted at a running store. At the very least go to a sports shoe store and try to find a knowledgeable employee.
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    New Balance is a nice brand. I buy them just for exercising in. They are comfortable and reasonably priced. Lady Foot Locker has a great selection of running shoes. And you can never go wrong with Nike's.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi :

This issue comes frequently at MFP community boards

Check the "Search" option above under "Running Shoes"

here is one link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1074795-running-shoes-running-plan?hl=Running+shoes#posts-16533390

Good luck in your journey
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Brooks!!!! Best speciality running shoes ever!!!!
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If you are doing 20 miles a week, it would be a good idea to be fitted. Also a good idea to get 2 pair if you can and rotate them. The Brooks Ravenna line is the preference of Mrs KB.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I personally love my Brooks! BUT..go to a running store and be fitted by someone who knows what they are doing. Different shoes/brands might work for you but not me.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I love my Brooks which is pretty obvious with my profile photo lol, but go to a running store and get fitted.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I wear Adidas Super Novas.

If you can, Go to a running store and ask them to help you figure out what shoe is best for you.

Good luck! :)
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Seriously go to a store and get fitted. Everyone's feet are different. Don't buy used running shoes. They have already conformed to someone else s feet and have miles on them already.
  • naaoommiii
    Options
    Ouch! I had a pair of Mizuno shoes which were lovely but I was fitted wrong so had to buy a new pair with different cushioning. Now I've got a pair by Adidas which I'm really happy with. They recommended I go a whole size up, something I never normally do, as your feet can swell by a size when running! If I were you, I'd get professionally fitted, find a pair that you like and spend some time thinking about it/checking other stores or online to get the best price. Sounds mean to the shops, but we've gotta look after number one - just never say it in front of a shop keeper!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Definitely definitely definitely go to a specialty running store (not a large athletics store; an honest to goodness neighbourhood running store) and get properly fitted. They will take into account your body type, the shape of your foot, and your gait and use that to propose several options - you'll try them on and determine which feel best to you. Do NOT go based on what brand works for others; they aren't you. And, while a good pair of running shoes may cost some money, if at all possible, do not skimp - not that you need to go for the most expensive pair, by any means; but if those are the ones that feel best, they'll be a good investment if you're serious about running. The wrong shoes are basically asking for an injury, which is no fun at all.

Happy running! :flowerforyou:
  • trolly91
    trolly91 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :smile: will get looking for a running store that does fittings!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I've really got into my running recently (20+ miles per week in 3 sessions), but I'm getting bruised nails, bleeding toes and blisters. I think my shoes are too small although an alright make I think ( zoot triathlon shoes, 2nd hand though).

I'm going shopping tomorrow for new ones but have no idea what to get- I'm willing to pay for decent shoes, but don't want to get ripped off. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

If you are willing to pay for decent shoes, do yourself a big favour and get your running gait analysed and then you will be advised on the correct shoes for your style. It could save you tons of heartache or injuries in the future.

When my own gait was analysed, I was advised on Saucony, it was one of the best things for my running I have ever done.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

Thanks

depends on how much you want to spend. once i got into running, i got fitted for my sneakers - brooks glycerin 9. my first pair cost $140 but worth every penny. i bought my second pair online for $40 (i know i know crazy difference but brooks is up to glycerin 11 right now and i'm still wearing my fav 9s). best investment i ever made.
  • kz440gal
    Options
    Brooks are really good. You need to get about a half size larger than what you normally wear. If you have a store nearby that is specific to running you really should go there. They will watch you walk and run and be able to help you pick out the right fit. Also, buying second hand running shoes is a gamble. They may look perfectly ok but running shoes wear out quickly on the inside and may look fine on the outside. One sure fire way to know that your shoes are needing to be replaced is that your shins and feet will start hurting. Good luck!
  • GaJavaGirl
    Options
    I'm on my second pair of Brooks...LOVE them!! But, like many others have suggested, go to a specialty running store. They should measure your foot, your arch, check pronation, and put you on a treadmill so they can check out your foot strike. Your weight will also be a factor. Don't be surprised if they recommend you go up a size. Give yourself some time at the store :) Most of all...have fun!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Brooks are really good. You need to get about a half size larger than what you normally wear. If you have a store nearby that is specific to running you really should go there. They will watch you walk and run and be able to help you pick out the right fit. Also, buying second hand running shoes is a gamble. They may look perfectly ok but running shoes wear out quickly on the inside and may look fine on the outside. One sure fire way to know that your shoes are needing to be replaced is that your shins and feet will start hurting. Good luck!

HALF SIZE LARGER! say it ain't so because i'm wearing a size 5! :sad: UGH! i hate having small feet.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

HALF SIZE LARGER! say it ain't so because i'm wearing a size 5! :sad: UGH! i hate having small feet.

Actually, I forgot about that, going up in size slightly, but it true.

Quick story, I took my daughter along to the same shop I go to, to get her fitted for shoes. She told them she often gets shin splints and they told her to put her normal running shoes on so that they could take a look. She did this and they immediately said, after feeling her toe area in the shoe, that the size was too small and as she ran, she was crunching her toes up, this was placing a strain on her shins and in turn, contributing towards her splints.

The shoes she ended up with after being gait analysed was Asics, in half a size larger.

By just that half a size extra, it gave the feet a change to expand (as they due during running anyway) comfortably and to run without crunching the feet up.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, if you are going to run that much, go to a smaller running shoe store and get fitted. You won't regret it!! Best $110 I ever spent.
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Like many have already mentioned, go get fitted. I went to a running shoe store, got fitted, and tried on several pairs. The pair I chose was $147 which was wayyyyy out of my budget. I went home and found them online for $58 shipped. Best thing I ever did. I was having a very hard time upping my mileage and ended up with runners knee. I no longer have any issues. I thought the shoes I was wearing were fine until I got some good shoes. I have Saucony's