MUST READ: An Open Apology to Weight Loss Clients

Options

Replies

• hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I loved reading this...thank you so much for sharing!
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    I read this article this morning and read some of the accompanying comments. I agree with one commentator who said the piece lacked any kind of information, it was very vague. It's a nice story, but without the flesh (which company? which clients, one or many? etc) it reads almost like a fan-faction!

IDK, don't you think the general sentiment is readily applicable regardless of the actual company or clients? I kinda feel like the message is readily transferable and applicable across companies and clients. Particularly given the rampant isomorphic tendencies in the weight loss industry generally. :-)

Like I said, it's a nice story, but it is, overall, a fluff piece.

It's similar to how I feel about the Dove commercials. Dove 'real women' campaign is beautiful on the surface, but then you realize the company is owned by Unilever which makes skin whitening products in Asia or has commercials which glamorize the female body for men's pleasure and it kind of detracts from the overall message.

I get why one could feel like Dove is trying to cash in on a "love your body" image thing, and is ultimately using this less for altruism and more to increase corporate profits, but I don't get how that analogy plays out for this piece. The author is just apologizing for doing her clients a disservice.

well said
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I totally disagree with you. Fanfiction? Fluff? It makes a clear point. Companies (doesn't really matter which) profit off of people desperate to lose weight. Regardless and perhaps even in spite of negative physical consequences. Why does it need to be any more complex than that to make a valuable point?

Most companies exist for profit. If people didn't want to lose weight, those companies wouldn't be able to exist because they wouldn't be funded. That fact alone doesn't make them a bad company any more than the author of that piece considers themselves a bad individual.

You're very much entitled to disagree. That's the enjoyment of literature. What inspires some doesn't inspire others, and this piece fell flat to me. Each to their own.
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    From the author's blog:

http://www.yourfairyangel.com/1/archives/08-2013/1.html

After years of going back and forth between restricting and overeating, and thinking I was cured only to slide back into bingeing, everything has finally come together. I found the right combination of puzzle pieces to put my relationship with food back together again. And I want to share that with you.

My new program came out of a challenge from my 30 Day Anti-Diet Challenge (now called Breaking the Chrysalis). As is always the case, I did each challenge right along with the group, and when I wrote in my journal that day, I knew that this was not something I was supposed to keep to myself. I knew I had to develop it into a program to help other women who were in the same place I had been. And so I've been working on it quietly since then, developing the guided meditation recordings, going back and forth on exactly how the program would work best, and refining ideas during my morning meditations.

Well, my beautiful butterflies? This program is ready to take flight. It's an ongoing program (i.e. you can start anytime as long as I'm running it), and I'll begin working with my first clients the week of September 15th. You can read on below for all the details, including what I believe are the 4 core spiritual components of emotional eating in women, and how to apply if want to reserve a spot to begin in September.

Investment: $1197 or $697 for women who have participated in my challenges (Breaking the Chrysalis and/or the Anti-Diet Challenge). Installment plans available upon request.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I probably went to her place or one just like it. I walked in - they gave me a meal plan and explained how the whole thing worked and I walked out and demanded my money back. start with 900 calories the first week (eating plastic food) and build up over time to a whopping 1350 calories. I told them I did not need to pay them to help me starve myself. I joined MFP the next day.
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,463 Member
    Options
    All I can say is WoW! One problem in our society is you are not anything unless you are bone rail skinny. Look at all of the advertising, look at all the A list Hollywood female stars. I buy my bike riding clothes in a certain catalog, the female models pictured are all picture perfect skinny. Not pics of someone that has weight issues.

I used to ride in horse shows, look at my profile picture. I was judged 50% score is the horse, 50% rider. We never scored well because my rider scores were low, not because I was a bad rider, which I am extremely proficient, but because the judge marked my appearance "overweight" and would knock off 25 to 30%.

We are targets for fad dieting and extremes that are just not healthy. I applaud the person who published that article in HuffPo and the person who copied it here. I loved it when Kirstie Alley and Chaz Bono went on Dancing With The Stars, they were heavy set but danced their hearts out. They were my favorites in their appearances and I voted for them every week, not because they had weight issues, but because they were damn good. They were truly inspiring.
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I posted this early this morning. Unfortunately, it was pointed out to me that the author now has a "program" for $99 that she's selling. She also has other "products". Not very sincere, but just a marketing ploy :mad:

Here's the author's blog:
    http://www.yourfairyangel.com/1/post/2013/07/an-open-apology-to-all-of-my-weight-loss-clients.html
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    totally agree with : Just eat food. Eat real food, be active, and live your life. Forget all the diet and weight loss nonsense. It's really just that. Nonsense.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I totally disagree with you. Fanfiction? Fluff? It makes a clear point. Companies (doesn't really matter which) profit off of people desperate to lose weight. Regardless and perhaps even in spite of negative physical consequences. Why does it need to be any more complex than that to make a valuable point?

Most companies exist for profit. If people didn't want to lose weight, those companies wouldn't be able to exist because they wouldn't be funded. That fact alone doesn't make them a bad company any more than the author of that piece considers themselves a bad individual.

Let the buyer beware of snake oil salesmen.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    From the author's blog:

http://www.yourfairyangel.com/1/archives/08-2013/1.html

After years of going back and forth between restricting and overeating, and thinking I was cured only to slide back into bingeing, everything has finally come together. I found the right combination of puzzle pieces to put my relationship with food back together again. And I want to share that with you.

My new program came out of a challenge from my 30 Day Anti-Diet Challenge (now called Breaking the Chrysalis). As is always the case, I did each challenge right along with the group, and when I wrote in my journal that day, I knew that this was not something I was supposed to keep to myself. I knew I had to develop it into a program to help other women who were in the same place I had been. And so I've been working on it quietly since then, developing the guided meditation recordings, going back and forth on exactly how the program would work best, and refining ideas during my morning meditations.

Well, my beautiful butterflies? This program is ready to take flight. It's an ongoing program (i.e. you can start anytime as long as I'm running it), and I'll begin working with my first clients the week of September 15th. You can read on below for all the details, including what I believe are the 4 core spiritual components of emotional eating in women, and how to apply if want to reserve a spot to begin in September.

Investment: $1197 or $697 for women who have participated in my challenges (Breaking the Chrysalis and/or the Anti-Diet Challenge). Installment plans available upon request.

LOL
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I posted this early this morning. Unfortunately, it was pointed out to me that the author now has a "program" for $99 that she's selling. She also has other "products". Not very sincere, but just a marketing ploy :mad:

http://www.yourfairyangel.com/1/post/2013/07/an-open-apology-to-all-of-my-weight-loss-clients.html

So, you're saying that a professional weight loss coach who apologized for doing a disservice to her clients is not sincere in her apology bc on her website, where she is trying to continue being a professional weight loss coach, she wants people to pay her money in exchange for her services? Would her apology be more sincere if she closed up shop and started a new profession all together? I guess you could say yes. But I feel like she's still entitled to earn a living and it doesn't render her apology less sincere, at least not in my opinion. :-)
  • bobbystrongarm
    Options
    $99, that is steep.

There are many e-books available for free if you search on google. I can't believe people would rather cough up $100 then just read a free book. No wonder our country is becoming fatter and stupider by the day.

However, even if this is a marketing ploy it is promoting good health. So if you are too lazy, might as well sign up.

How many times is this forum going to ask " Should I eat back my calories?" or make statements like "1200cals is all you need, even if you burn 700."

So, even if this person is a self promoting hack, at least they are creating an emotional response among the uninitiated TO DO THE RIGHT THING.

Please question their motives. However, if your own fitness and diet schedules look like the ones this person is speaking out about, let it be a wake up call. You have been lied too, you don't know what you are doing, your health is at risk.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Standing, clapping, wiping away a tear. Bravo. Good find.

My sentiments exactly.
  • miaz143
    miaz143 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing... Pretty basically was crying from the second paragraph in. Amazing read. Thank you .
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Oi that made me cry a little, not gonna lie.
    I saw a comment about not listing company names and such, if I listed my companies name in a negative way and they really felt some kinda way about it, I could be fined and fired. So I get that part.

Nice post though.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    That was awesome! Thank you for sharing.

I cannot tell you how many times I have walked into a weight loss plan, knowing I have a lot of weight to lose, and the person next to me has maybe 15 pounds to shed, and they're gonna put me on the same diet, same calorie count, same everything, as her? With white coat, professional people telling me it was right and good. Being left so hungry that I'd vomit was the right plan for me?

I always knew, instinctively, that it wasn't just unfair for a bigger person to be so restricted, it was wrong, but I didn't know why.

I thought something was wrong, but I also thought it was my fault that I could not be satisified on the same diet as a much smaller person. :P Just a lack of will power, as I was told.

No one, not one diet professional anywhere, EVER helped me figure out my BMR. Not one professional person in my life doctor or dietician, and I've talked to several and have a great insurance, ever helped me calculate how many calories I burn based on my daily activity level and figure out a caloried deficit based on THAT number.

All I was ever given by any white coat was a plan on a piece of paper or a booklet of what to eat when with a pre-determined calorie count based on height (if it even bothered to factor in height). And it was the same plan for every woman, whether she was a size 12 or a size 22. And because I'm short (just shy of 5'4"), I would only have the lowest calorie plan available. Pfft!

Also, diet food is disgusting. I can tell you from experience that nutri-system tastes awful. I do not know if that was the 'plan' from the article, but the 1200 calorie diet made me cringe and remember nutri-system.
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,463 Member
    Options

WoW what a rip off. Here is what her (Iris Higgins, Angel Fairy) "program" costs: Investment: $1197 or $697 for women who have participated in my challenges (Breaking the Chrysalis and/or the Anti-Diet Challenge). Installment plans available upon request. I about fell off my chair when I saw installment plans available! Oh well, so much for honesty.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I read this article this morning and read some of the accompanying comments. I agree with one commentator who said the piece lacked any kind of information, it was very vague. It's a nice story, but without the flesh (which company? which clients, one or many? etc) it reads almost like a fan-faction!

I'm pretty sure if the author had posted the name of the company or the clients without permission the article would be removed and litigation would have started.
  • mhfitbit
    mhfitbit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure if the author had posted the name of the company or the clients without permission the article would be removed and litigation would have started.

Pretty sure it's not top secret - she was a Jenny Craig consultant.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Thanks. I needed this today. :)