Busting the myth that 1200 calories is enough

Options
I thought this article was very interesting and insightful.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/iris-higgins/an-open-apology-to-all-of_b_3762714.html

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Yup, that has been posted here already.

But thank you for posting it again. :)
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/iris-higgins/an-open-apology-to-all-of_b_3762714.html

Well I am not sorry I am on 1200 calories per day, do running, some weights and work fulltime. I am not sorry that I am losing weight. I am not sorry that I feel full of energy. I am not sorry that I eat 100% better than I used to when I ate many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many calories.

I am not sorry.

That is all I have to say really....

I am not sorry.

:drinker:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

Well I am not sorry I am on 1200 calories per day, do running, some weights and work fulltime. I am not sorry that I am losing weight. I am not sorry that I feel full of energy. I am not sorry that I eat 100% better than I used to when I ate many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many calories.

I am not sorry.

I am not sorry.

you probably will be eventually :flowerforyou:
    good luck on your journey.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

I am not sorry.

I am not sorry.

Best of luck to you!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

I am not sorry.

I am not sorry.

Well not really, this is my third flipping time doing 1200 calories, the first time I lost 33lbs, the second time 41lbs, and now this time.

I put weight back on because of my abyssmal lack of control for eating crap LOL!

I never regretted before and I don't this time :)
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options

I am not sorry.

I am not sorry.

^^^ this

I wasn't sorry either all those times I was losing by not eating enough. I was very sorry after I gained it all back. Every time.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

I am not sorry.

I am not sorry.

Well not really, this is my third flipping time doing 1200 calories, the first time I lost 33lbs, the second time 41lbs, and now this time.

I put weight back on because of my abyssmal lack of control for eating crap LOL!

Hmm.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

I am not sorry.

I am not sorry.

I don't think anyone expects you to be if you're doing what works for you. Although if you are one of the "clients' the author feels they've wronged you might consider firing off an email or comment on the article so she knows that at least one person doesn't hold her advice against her.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options

I am not sorry.

I am not sorry.

Don't you think you might have better control if you didn't deprive yourself and ate more?
  • BobbieInCA
    BobbieInCA Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Love that response!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I am not sorry.

I am not sorry.

Don't you think you might have better control if you didn't deprive yourself and ate more?

^QFT.

And off topic - I find it funny how people have to create new accounts in order to say things that they don't dare say on their real account. Carry on....
  • CristinaAnne192
    Options
    honestly everyone is different!

This is ridiculous. every time I come on the message boards someone is bad mouthing 1200 calories.

Honestly as long as you are NETTING 1200 calories a day. Its not a big deal. I do not support eating 500, 600 calories a day, that is stupid.

I am someone who has gone threw many eating disorders. Including anorexia, then binging.

I KNOW how horrible it is to not eat enough. and how it feels to not eat.

Now being fully recovered, I am satisfied with my 1250 I eat a day. and I eat ALL my exercise calories back, It helps me with portion control, and just eating better in general.

before you go bashing someone, everyone is dfferen't. EVERY BODY is dfferen't, and no one is the same... deal with it.

I feel like these posts are started sometimes just for the thrill of starting a post that will be blown up :/
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    cookies.jpg?w=500&h=373

Mmmmm cookies......:ohwell:
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I realize that 1200 calories is not a lot of calories. However, for some women who are petite and have a small frame it can be the correct amount to eat to lose weight. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. Just saying there are other factors to consider!:flowerforyou:
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's like the 1200 calorie method is all anyone thinks or talks about
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    There's a clear difference though between eating 1200 (and thus netting 500ish), and netting 1200 - meaning you're eating a lot more than that.
    If someone is exercising and netting 1200, then typically they'd be eating 16/1700 - which isn't BAD on the whole.. and while a lot of them can afford to eat more than that, very few people pick up on it.
    But when people say "I eat 1200 and burn off 1000 and feel fine and healthy and great", we know it's not realistic or sustainable in the long term.

So nobody is really badmouthing 1200 calories - they're badmouthing the resulting net of less than 1000.
  • CristinaAnne192
    Options

this ^^ and it has been SUPER popular the last few days.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options

this ^^ and it has been SUPER popular the last few days.

Hah, I was about to quote you and say the same :drinker:
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I wasn't sorry either all those times I was losing by not eating enough. I was very sorry after I gained it all back. Every time.

THIS.

Losing weight is easy, especially if you're following a very low-calorie diet. The pounds will melt off. You'll feel wonderful.

But maintaining a lower weight, keeping yourself in good health, and optimizing your body composition? Yeah, that's a lot harder, and losing weight on a VLCD often makes it next to impossible.
  • yum2leal
    yum2leal Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So what is the right formula? I tried Atkins no carb diet for two weeks and maintained a 1,200 calories for such a long time and my weight loss has plateud already. I'm in a rut.