Share a positive impact you have had on someone recently

Options
Ok, I will go first.

Today I saw an elderly couple eating lunch at one of the local Greek restaurants. They seemed so content together so I decided (which I do commonly through many of the restaurants in the area) to let the couple be the recipients of one of my gifts and bought their lunch.

Who was touched by this moment?

First, the cashiers. They seem to light up like Christmas lights at the thought of a stranger doing something positive for a stranger.

Second, my eating companion. He set there with a cheese eating grin because the gesture touched the deepest part of his heart.

Lastly, the could who I found out has been married "71 years"! They were overjoyed at the kindness of the stranger and seeing the smiles on their faces definitely made my day.

Have you spread any smiles lately or touched anyone in a way that it resulted in a positive rflective in their life?

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Just saw a crazy accident happen outside my building... Lady in a Lexus got flipped over by a cement truck in the middle of some serious traffic. Without really stopping to think I ran out there and called 911, and tried to help get the woman in the Lexus out of her car. She was badly hurt, and had to be rushed off in an ambulance. It was a scary experience...
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Just saw a crazy accident happen outside my building... Lady in a Lexus got flipped over by a cement truck in the middle of some serious traffic. Without really stopping to think I ran out there and called 911, and tried to help get the woman in the Lexus out of her car. She was badly hurt, and had to be rushed off in an ambulance. It was a scary experience...
    Wow, and that was very brave of you. Often we have the compassion but fail to put it into action. You did both. Bravo!
  • cparter
    Options
    Guess there is not much positive vibes going around :brokenheart:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Were you in my town, cparter?? We took our daughter out to breakfast for her birthday at IHOP, and someone anonymously paid for our meal. You are right...the waitress and cashiers and all who knew about it were very touched. And we were astounded and felt so loved.

My positive impact? I like to greet people hospitably as I am out and about. I try to show patience and courtesy.
  • cparter
    Options

My positive impact? I like to greet people hospitably as I am out and about. I try to show patience and courtesy.

This is how we should live. I tried to give even the worse my best, even when it is difficult.
  • CantStopWontStop92
    CantStopWontStop92 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    There's a girl who had been friends with my brother in high school. During that time, she constantly made condescending, obsessive comments about me to him. Honestly she kinda scared me, she wanted to fit into the size jeans I was in, the dresses I wore, wanted to know what brand makeup I used, etc. She recently made a sort of sad comment of fb so I messaged her, letting her know whatever she was going through would pass and that she should keep her chin up. I let her call me and talk through her issues regarding her dad's substance abuse, her insecurity, and a recent breakup. She texted me later profusely apologizing for all the nasty comments she'd made in high school, saying no one had ever taken that kind of time to listen to her concerns, and that I was secretly a genuine role model in the years since we all graduated. Not a big thing, but it goes to show that something so simple as giving someone the time and respect they deserve and need can have a much bigger impact :flowerforyou:
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I paid for a priest's coffee order this week at the coffee stand in the cafeteria. I figured that's gotta give me a good mark somewhere in the cosmic universe. :smile:
  • cparter
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, even the simplest act of kindness to the more complex as cantstopwantstop92.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    In the past week?

Pretty sure I've had more negative than positive going on.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    In the past week?

Awwww come on, you probably made me feel special at some point in the last 7 days.

I, on the other hand, am pretty sure I had zero positive impact on anyone this week.
  • dawn_h_d
    dawn_h_d Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    As my blog mentioned, I have a furry kid. I have no 2 legged children.

Our neighbors/friends have a daughter that is the same age as my neice (who lives 7 hours away). I like going over to see her because it helps me follow along in my neices age progression (they are now both 6), and Wednesday nite I went over to chill with them. The little neighbor girl ended up getting some of her dollys out when we were sitting on a blanket in the yard. Then the ice cream truck came (bad for the hips, but great for some laughs), and we all got some.

As it was getting dark, we were cleaning stuff up and I was helping take all the things into the house. She stopped and gave me a hug and said "I love it when you come over." It made me tear up. I felt like I really touched her. She was adopted when she was about 2, and was very shy at first. It took her a long time to warm up to anyone, and so that coming from her was AWESOME.

Here I thought she was helping me understand my neice, and, in turn, I was helping her learn to trust and love people.
  • DrPepper000
    DrPepper000 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I went to GoodWill to see if I could find a George Forman grill to cook up my protein. I wanted a big one because I have teenagers and need to cook a lot of hamburgers at once. I took a cart to the back of the store to tote m grill to the front. When I got to the small appliance aisle, a lady was holding the only grill as well as a water purifier. She lamented aloud, "I wish I had brought a cart. I can't carry these to the front." I offered her my cart since I didn't see any more grills. We started talking about the price of grill and its features. I told her I was looking for one, also. A few minutes later, she tracked me down. She had found another grill on the end cap and wanted to know if I wanted it. It was smaller than I wanted, but I thanked her for thinking of me. We both walked away with smiles on our faces. Maybe tomorrow I will find my grill.
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I live by the motto "Do unto others". I take pride in saying I have taught my kids to always give... even if you don't have much to give.... GIVE anyway. Planting good seeds reaps a bountiful harvest. I am SO blessed because of this! I am telling you there is absolutely NO way I could have made it on my own... it was the seeds I planted and the harvest I've recieved from doing good and doing for others.

Last Wednesday I had to run to Autozone for a headlight for my car. The young man behind the counter looked exhausted, and behind me were 4 other customers waiting impatiently. ((You know..the sighs... the Come ON'S)) So... after he handed me back my change and my reciept I handed him $10 and told him to have lunch on me... and just walked out. He tried to give it back... but I told him I wanted to give it to him... for him to enjoy his day.

My neighbor is a single mother also. She struggles just like I do. I put $25 in an envelope and slid it under her door. I didn't sign it, I didn't want her to know it came from me. That day, her tire got a flat, and before she even walked in the door she was crying saying she had NO WAY to pay for that tire. I hugged her and told her how very sorry I was and to call me if she needs anything. She came knocking on my door a few minutes later and asked me if I knew anything about the money... I told her I had no idea. I didn't want her to know... honestly I just felt the need to give at that moment...and it was PERFECT timing. She got the tire fixed and got something to eat on the way home. :)

Yesterday I bought a scratch off. It was an expensive one at that. It was those $20 book ones. Anyhow... I bought it, then on the way out, something told me to give it away. I went to work that night (I work in a hospital) and gave it to an employee that I see never sits down..who is always moving and is a very caring person. Do you know she scratched it off on her break and won $500???? I was SO happy for her!!!!!! She cried...and handed it back to me saying she can't take it. I handed it back...of COURSE you can!!!!! I'm blessed. I haven't gone hungry. I haven't gone without. And if I ever have, I tell you the truth God has always come through.

I sow those seeds so my harvest is plentiful. But more importantly I do it because the way it makes me feel is indescribible. I feel SO good when I help others. There is a reason I give things to others...it hits me when I have something that someone else could use or need...and I HAVE to give it at that moment. And to find the right person to bless? That my friends isn't my gut...that is the Lord guiding me. Only HE knows who is in need and who could benefit from a little kindness and love.

There really are good people out there.... :flowerforyou:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    teaching dyslexic/ADHD kids to read in English, when English isn't their first language, but where everyone needs English to succeed in the workplace. - part of my job (self-employed tutor), but it's nice to do something that you know is really benefiting someone.
  • karlahere
    karlahere Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    ^ Awesome. Plus it will stick with them for life.

I'd like to think that hooking former students/colleagues up with potential employers is already a good turn.
  • Lovelovesme
    Lovelovesme Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I bought lunch today for a charity worker, someone told me what I nice person I was. I said no, he's the nice person, I'm just buying his lunch!
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I regularly use biofeedback techniques to teach people to keep their hands up. That, I believe, is arguably a positive impact. It's definitely an impact.
  • Panda_Rolls
    Panda_Rolls Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Due to recent unfortunate events I had to move out of my place, and a friend took me in like a sad, stray kitten. She's a diabetic and hates cooking so she usually eats crap. Since I've moved in I've been doing most of the cooking and convinced her to start taking short walks with me after work instead of vegging in front of the T.V. I've only been here a couple of weeks and she already says she's feeling better! The fact that I am able to make a positive impact on her life makes my day and makes me feel slightly less guilty for taking over the spare bedroom.
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ok, I will go first.

Today I saw an elderly couple eating lunch at one of the local Greek restaurants. They seemed so content together so I decided (which I do commonly through many of the restaurants in the area) to let the couple be the recipients of one of my gifts and bought their lunch.

Who was touched by this moment?

First, the cashiers. They seem to light up like Christmas lights at the thought of a stranger doing something positive for a stranger.

Second, my eating companion. He set there with a cheese eating grin because the gesture touched the deepest part of his heart.

Lastly, the could who I found out has been married "71 years"! They were overjoyed at the kindness of the stranger and seeing the smiles on their faces definitely made my day.

Have you spread any smiles lately or touched anyone in a way that it resulted in a positive rflective in their life?

Good morning,
    I don't know if you would consider it a daily thing but I am a court advocate volunteer for children that are abused/neglected and in this system and I visit them on a regular basis and attend court on their behalf...I hope that I can help make a major change in their life They are the innocent victims and sometimes without a voice. I also have volunteered for hospice...you really appreciate life when you are with someone that is near death and it is so rewarding to give to others and it makes me see the big picture and how little things that seemed so important become trivial.
    Thank you for sharing your good deed and thank you for reading:smile:
  • GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    In the past week?

Actually, I noticed some of your recent posts were spot-on and insightful.
    Even this one makes me smile over breakfast.

So not fooled!