Hello back again but this time with Type 2 Diabetes

Options
Hi my name is Eileen. I am back on this site to keep a close watch on my calories and particularly my CARBS. Three weeks ago I I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and High Blood Pressure; of course I also need to lose 100 pounds. I am reading a lot about diabetes and learning to eat the right. I would love some friends to exchange low carb recipes with, share advice and provide each other support. Please join me on this new journey.

Replies

• dkirkling
    dkirkling Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi Eileen, My name is Drema. I was recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes. Let's motivate each other on our journey to healthier lifestyles and weight loss. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • moepwr
    moepwr Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I eat low carbs! I don't know if you can see my recipe's if we are friends? I am trying to avoid type II and high blood pressure which is rampant in my family. Add me!
  • JamericanBoy
    JamericanBoy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I am also pre-Type II D. I am recently unemployed and couldn't keep up my medial insurance so I am looking to manage my heath issues as best I could through weight management, proper eating and exercise. So far I think I am on the right track since my symptoms have been greatly reduced.

Feel free to add for encouraging support! :-)
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I became acquainted with one of the American Diabetes Association cookbooks when my mother was diagnosed with diabetes. The recipes are pretty good. They also have recipes online, as well as links to a lot of resources. High fiber / low glycemic index kind of carbs are the best to prevent spikes in your sugar levels.
  • gatsby018
    gatsby018 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I eat low carb and I also watch my sodium intake. Type 2 diabetes runs on my dad's side and hypertension on both sides of my family. I'm always looking for new recipes to try.
  • casualzen
    casualzen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, fellow T2 diabetics. I'm happy to share what I've learned about what works in keeping BG at healthy levels.
  • prgirl39
    prgirl39 Posts: 108
    Options
    I am also a Type 2 Diabetic. Feel free to add me. I have lost 13 pounds just by making some changes and exercising. Still new to the diabetic thing. We can support each other.

What has helped me is portion control, no processed food, more vegetables, and lots of exercising. There is a lot of information out there on the internet too at least to get some ideas on what you can do food wise.

Good luck!
  • annwlms
    annwlms Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am Ann. I am new at low carbs, but I will be glad to be added as part of your support group. I have a family member that was given a diet to follow by his physician once he was told that he had diabetes and another friend who did low carb just to lose weight. So, I gave myself a 90 day challenge. It not as hard as one would think:)
  • lizziecheek
    lizziecheek Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't have pre or type 2 diabetes but want to avoid developing it. My mother was diagnosed later in life and developed complications. Weight loss and exercise best way to manage blood sugars so congratulations on your rejoining MFP and asking for support. Eileen do you happen to know what your A1c blood test result was? When are you testing your blood sugars (BS)? Do you have health insurance? If do you should have benefit for diabetic education which would include a registered dietitian. Check and see what your cost would be, usually there are classes weekly for maybe 4-6 weeks offered at your local hospital. It really is helpful. One great way to lower BS is to walk before or after you eat, or some other exercise. Exercise is the best way to lower BS due to it assists the insulin you produce but due to type 2 can't utilize correctly to get into your cells and lower the BS.
  • WinwillLose
    Options
    I love the South Beach diet for super healthy low carb diet, ask your Doctor I am sure the would agree.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been insulin resistant for about 6 years. Eat a good protein every time you eat a carb to keep your blood sugar levels from spiking. I don't eat anything made with wheat, rarely eat rice or potatoes. I get my carbs from fruit, (yes I eat fruit, but with protein), and veggies, also always with protein. It's amazing how much better I feel, and I don't miss the crap at all. Sometimes I feel sorry for myself that I can't eat what others eat, but then I remind myself that if I did eat as others eat I'd be dead. Good motivation.

Get on a good exercise routine. Find what you like to do and just do it! I found a gym close to my house that's only $19.99 a month. At first I was embarrassed because I'm so big, going to the gym, but then I realized that the important thing was that I WAS going to the gym, and people there always encourage me. They see I'm trying, and that's better than sitting at home on the couch.

I do strength training and aerobics, (there's muscle under my flab), and I walk a lot. I'm much stronger and I feel better. I still have a long way to go, but it is doable. The first step is always the scariest.
  • tcmom72
    tcmom72 Posts: 32
    Options
    Not diabetic but eat low carb. Have some family history and want to avoid diab. Please add me. I would love to encourage others and learn new recipes.
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hello, feel free to add. I have diabetes Type 2 and am currently taking two different meds.for high blood pressure. I also have 100 lbs to lose . With total healthy eating I was able to come off of 2000 mg of metformin ,and since I joined I find counting my calories and carbs and the support of many wonderful people I am able to keep myself on track. I believe in myself and I believe in you also. I look forward to being able to come off my blood pressure pills because with the exercise program I have built myself in just 2 months and my control over eating I will make it work.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,622 Member
    Options
    There have been some interesting posts on the diabetes and insulin resistance forums lately on research about how T2 is caused by fat in the pancreas and liver, and how it can be reversed by significant weight loss.

I'm T2 too, so feel free to add me. My BG has really improved as a result of losing some weight. Hoping that if I lose some more I can stop the meds completely.
  • GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be added!
    There is also a Low Carb Daily Forum here that you might want to join, I find it helpful.
  • saanaismom
    saanaismom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've recently started reading a book called Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis. I don't tend to follow trends, but I think this book contains some information for everyone, including diabetics. I borrowed it from a friend but it looks like it retails for about $10 in Canada.
  • SixHats
    SixHats Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been low carb/ketogenic now for about a year. I'm happy to answer any questions I can.
  • LindaLou1397
    LindaLou1397 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I have been a type 2 for around 20 years with very well controlled diabetes. The first thing you need to do is see a dietician. I don't eat low carb, but I eat the carbs that don't cause my blood sugar to spike. I eat around 45 grams of carbs with a meal and 15 with a snack and around 165 for the day. I have also lost 34 lbs and have 18 more to go. I am 5'2" tall and 64 years old so I don't lose very fast, but slow and steady works. Exercise and eating about the same amount and at about the same time everyday are important to getting the correct amount of medication. Everyone is different and it takes some time to learn your body and what works for you. I know I can't handle potatoes, rice or bananas, but chocolate has very little effect on my blood sugar. I can also eat bagels, as long as it is a high fiber one, but with trial and error you will learn what causes your sugar to raise. You will find your meter is your best friend in learning what will work for you. One final thing I went to the eye doctor the other day and he told me I have the eyes of a non diabetic and keep doing what I am doing. Good luck on your new lifestyle.
  • Sangunner
    Sangunner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m type 2 diabetic. Has anyone any tips on how to use this app to record what I’m consuming.
    Also has any other female with type 2 had issues with hormone regulation?
    Thanks and apologies if not the correct forum to post
  • PeachHibiscus
    PeachHibiscus Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Sangunner wrote: »
    I’m type 2 diabetic. Has anyone any tips on how to use this app to record what I’m consuming.

Hi @Sangunner! I'm also T2D. I use MFP to track my carbs/calories. I currently have my goal set at 30% carbs. I generally tend to pre-log most days so I can see in advance where my numbers will be and where I might have some room. My diabetic dietician gave me the number of 30-45 grams of carbs per meal to use as a guideline, which fits with the 30% carbs goal on MFP.

I just keep an eye on the numbers. I like using MFP to keep track of it because I'm not sure I'd necessarily remember everything if it wasn't tracked. And my problem has always been portion control so I'd be more likely to eat more than I should if I didn't see the accounting of carbs/calories for the food.

I don't have a CGM but I do test my blood sugar several times a day. If those are accurate, I should be seeing an improvement in the A1C test I will be taking in two weeks.