From Size 50+ Jeans to 38 (Huge Album of Photos Part 2)

Photos are at the bottom.

Back at the end of April, I posted here about my progress thus far, having been 72 pounds down from 361.6 and shared a slew of the weekly progress photos I'd been taking.

Well, four months later, I'm 74 pounds down. 2 pounds in four months? What the hell? Well, shortly after I made that thread, I was hit with the absolutely worst gout attack I've ever experienced in my life, and was literally off my feet for nine weeks, which resulted in complete disarray both on my exercise plan and my dieting, and I gained back about 10 pounds.

After it finally faded in mid-July, I resolved myself to reinspire myself, and so at 296 pounds, after not having exercised or dieted for nearly three months, and did something crazy. I got dressed at 4AM on a random Sunday, and with a sudden rush of inspiration that I usually ignore and let pass within an hour or two, I drove to a summit trail and spent the next five hours hiking to the very top and all the way back down again. It was a two mile hike with a 1200 foot elevation, and although that tends to be very little for most, I was barely below 300 pounds, and I wasn't even CLOSE to physically ready for that.

It was one of the hardest physical things I've ever done in my life, with the wrong shoes, not even close to enough water, and in the summer Arizona heat, but I did it, and it felt amazing.

Since then, I've been working really hard to fight through compulsive binge episodes, discouragement, and the negativity that had built up over those nine weeks off my feet. The high and the euphoria that I got from summiting the very highest peak of that trail was huge, but I quickly realized that going from one extreme to another does not help me find the balance that I truly need to settle back into—the balance that got me from November to April without any major hiccups.

I'm on the doorstep of getting back to where I left off, at 285.0 (I am 287.6 as of today), I've secured myself a full-time job with benefits that I start on in about a month, I'm getting my AA degree (finally) in December, and I'll have my own place within the next six months, I'm projecting. I'm getting **** back in order, and although most of these things are still a ways off, I'm doing my best to look forward and to focus on what I'm doing now in the meantime. It all helps.

But what's helped even more are the amazing people I've met here who have become close, dear friends who provide me with such a strong support system I never could have believed was possible, so thank you for that.

So, I've been doing keto (high-fat, low-carb) since the end of November, and weighed in at 361.6 at that time. I have been heavier than even that, as the first two photos were my heaviest ever and I never weighed myself at the time, but that was my initial starting point. Now, I'm 74 pounds down. I go to the gym generally 5 days a week, taking the weekends off, sticking with the elliptical and three pretty involved lifting regimens that I cycle through. My diet has consisted hugely of chicken breast recipes such as chicken parm (using almond flour/parmesan cheese breading and low-carb pizza sauce for marinara), chicken alfredo or pesto, cauliflower stir fried rice, etc., as well as pepper jack and fontina cheeses, pecans and hazelnuts, eggs and bacon, occasional tuna salad, and I'm only recently starting to delve into some keto-friendly dessert recipes. Diet Sierra Mist and Crystal Light have also been amazing.

I'm hoping to get down to 180 before I start bulking up and cutting down in order to try and get my body fat to where I want it, and hopefully after a few years I'll be able to end at around 210 to 230, looking nice and cut. That's my super-endgame, though, and I will probably have a better idea of what I'm going to want as I get closer to 200.

Anyway, below are my photos. I hope they entertain or can somehow inspire!

Album: http://imgur.com/a/bHM8K#0

Maybe my favorite of them:
Iia3Uyh.jpg

Replies

• mushroomsontoast
    mushroomsontoast Posts: 118 Member
    Brilliant, great job & transformation! Fab photo album too :smile: Keep up the good work!
  • JasonAxelrod
    JasonAxelrod Posts: 58 Member
    Thanks so much! Been a slow few weeks, but I'm still on the downward and I feel my momentum picking up again.

Just pasting in the pics here for easier viewing:

BhHwSoy.jpg
    C1PFOox.jpg
    H2HMTfa.jpg
    ZUh38Rf.jpg
    PGSSyA3.jpg
    lP20frW.jpg
    l78jy3x.jpg
    iqhtWQY.jpg
    YJUXFPK.jpg
    ODaI2hu.jpg
    qlWkkFB.jpg
    uu9q9Sx.jpg
    N0xMGlO.jpg
    pUZFSp2.jpg
    IIOHLCn.jpg
    lKN3fEP.jpg
    d7jG7F6.jpg
    Iia3Uyh.jpg
    hHKDvm4.jpg
    LeG8na2.jpg
    L3HGsaq.jpg
    unFt54u.jpg
    gxZDaxk.jpg
    8W3qeEe.jpg
    FOww3Gb.jpg
    FZlbNPP.jpg
    BYx5Enn.jpg
    8YkY31k.jpg
    GXyQTYR.jpg
    TBCUIuS.jpg
    bwyr0eh.jpg
    34EdJzk.jpg
    fbL40dx.jpg
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Win! :drinker:
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Incredible! Some terrific photos! I especially love the kick and the one where you are doing a back bend. I am curious ; how tall are you because my husband is about 285 and you look a lot slimmer than he is but he's 5' 8". Keep working hard. Your last photo looks like a happy guy.:flowerforyou:
  • JasonAxelrod
    Thank you both very much!

Hoppy, I'm a sliver shy of 6'0. That said, I'm a muffin-top and my fat has always been very, very dense and though I'm still humungous compared to other people, folks seem surprised that I weigh as much as I do when I tell them.
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    Happy Saturday Jason,
    Amazing story and journey you are on and thank you so much for inspiring me to reach my own goals not only in weight loss but also in life!
    I can tell you are one determined man and you should be so proud of yourself.
    Take care,
    Rose
  • autumnmctaggart
    autumnmctaggart Posts: 41 Member
    Great job and AWESOME photo album! Totally awesome!
  • mustang6411
    mustang6411 Posts: 89 Member
    what awesome job you have done for your self!!! Love the pics,!!
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    One idea on gout, FWIW, and keep in mind that I'm not a doctor and don't play one on TV: DH gets gout attacks occasionally and the meds they gave him had bad side effects for him. I did some research and found that dried cherries were good for treating gout. Now when his toes start to tingle, he enjoys some dried cherries. It takes a day or two but the symptoms go away. Dried cherries do have calories (not a concern for DH) but it's better than having to be sedentary because of the pain.

I hope this helps, and keep up the good work!
  • JasonAxelrod
    One idea on gout, FWIW, and keep in mind that I'm not a doctor and don't play one on TV: DH gets gout attacks occasionally and the meds they gave him had bad side effects for him. I did some research and found that dried cherries were good for treating gout. Now when his toes start to tingle, he enjoys some dried cherries. It takes a day or two but the symptoms go away. Dried cherries do have calories (not a concern for DH) but it's better than having to be sedentary because of the pain.

I hope this helps, and keep up the good work!

Thanks very much for sharing that. I've been suggested black cherry and regular cherry juice in the past, as well. The juice didn't seem to help, but I'll give dried cherries a shot next time around. I was given the long-term preventative medicaton rather than the other (I think there were two I read about) that was used to acutely treat an attack, and I don't take it because of fear of it causing ulcers. It had gotten pretty bad to the point where it had spread up my foot (never happened before) so I started taking them, but I had horrible stomach pains shortly after and stopped, so I'll pretty much try anything to avoid that.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Love your story. Especially because life does get in the way sometimes and interferes with our weight loss plans but you picked back up right where you left off and that is what makes a person successful.
  • april27kelli
    april27kelli Posts: 338 Member
    You look incredible... Fun pictures...
  • thats AWESOME,..you proved it can be done too, i was there as well, and i kept off now over 2 years, isn;t it a great feeling, i went from a 38 waist to a 32 waist, my motivation now, is i keep a picture before i lost the weight on the rerigotor, it Works,
  • heis4u2004
    heis4u2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Great job! and Great photos!
  • OMG you are hilarious! I LOVED the picture show. Totally original. Congrats on your amazing weight loss. You look incredible and put a huge smile on my face.
  • SopranogirlCa
    SopranogirlCa Posts: 188 Member
    Awesome and very entertaining!
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    haha your fkn amazing!! good job! looking good!!
  • trenee35
    trenee35 Posts: 143
    Great job on your weight loss and continual progress. Great photos! Thanks for sharing.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Incredible attitude and love the pics!! Great way to look at life! :)
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Nice progress, thanks for sharing such cute pictures! Congrats and here's to continued success! You look fabulous! :bigsmile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!