Lots of protein causing gas. HELP!!

Options
I'm trying to get more protein in my diet. One of my favorite staples is a broccoli, banana, milk, and whey protein shake. I get a lot of gas from this, to the point where my wife has practically begged me to stop drinking it.

Is there anything I can do to lessen the gas problem?

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• faith_76
    faith_76 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Taking a probiotic pill every day has helped my husband a lot! I know exactly what your wife is talking about.
  • 16shelz
    16shelz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It might be the milk, switch it to coconut or almond milk. See if that helps.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    light on fire or push her head under covers
  • clairemarie1016
    clairemarie1016 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I use Digestive Enzymes and Betaine HCI supplements to help my body digest lots of protein and it has really helped stop that particular problem.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'd try cutting out the dairy and see if it helps. If I eat too much dairy...wooh! It ain't pretty.

Also...broccoli? In a protein shake? That sounds interesting. You could easily switch that for something less gassy like spinach.

Odds are it isn't the protein. Could be, but you've got a gas-fest drink going on.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    While it could be dairy, I've seen a lot of things give people gas/digestive issues. So you might want to try eliminating some of the other stuff in addition to the dairy.
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I've had a good experience with this:

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=654&prodid=872&cid=243

Not gone, but reduced alot.

Hope it helps.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    OP, the title of your posting states "lots of protein causing gas", but in your posting you list several ingredients in your shake mixture - not all classified as protein intense foods. All components are innocent until proven guilty, no? Have you tried different ratios or elimination of one of the ingredients to see if you get the same result? Or perhaps change the macronutrients (carb, fat, protein) proportion, and see if the results change.