What stops you from cheating?

Options

Replies

• YvonneCT
    YvonneCT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I walked into a store this morning looking for a pastry, and the muffins looked soo good. As i got close enough to order they had the calories at over 580 per muffin!:noway:

That stopped me. I started thinking how many minutes of work out that will be, (that would mean no treat for the rest of the weekend).

What keeps you straight?

I don't think of it as "cheating". If it fits for that day and I want it, I have it. If it doesn't, usually I won't. If it is a special occasion, maybe I will have it and balance it out over the next few days. It's a life style for me, not a just goal.

YTVP
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Nothing. Nothing stops me from cheating on a diet.

What makes me reach for the more positive things is the outta sight outta mind approach. Turn off television, turn on cookie/tracker blocker... I suggest Ghostery because you can selectively allow stuff and it's easy to get at all the settings. Added bonuses: MFP loads tons faster and YouTube doesn't show pre-video ads with the blocker.
  • andezz99
    andezz99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It's important for me to start the day right. If I don't workout first thing in the morrning, I have more of a tendancy to cheat. I'm not sure if it just sets the tone for the rest of the day or what. Sometimes I have to just substitute one food for another to satisfy the craving. Instead of a muffin, I will eat fruit and then I don't feel so tempted by the muffin.

I have kids in the house so it's just something you have to get over to stay on track.
  • shawnatheobald
    Options
    I look at the ingredients list - if there is anything I don't know what it is, I don't eat it. If I still want it, I google that thing - generally learning about the things that tempt me most result in me learning things about it I didn't want to know, and I stop craving it. It's really hard to crave garbage.
  • witmer1
    witmer1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Remembering that noting will taste as good as being at my goal weight will feel.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything as "cheating" If I want something I'll work it into my allowance. Luckily I rarely want anything you would call a "cheat" food. I'm enjoying my healthy diet.
  • TayzerFun
    TayzerFun Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    For me, I just keep thinking to myself, "I won't miss that food tomorrow." Tomorrow I won't wake up and say, "Golly darn, I really should've ordered that doughnut at the coffee shop." I won't regret not eating it, but I might have regret if I DO eat it. I find that my temptation is only if the food is right in front of me, and is sorta fleeting. So, If I can get over that moment... I know I'll be fine.
  • Maile_131
    Maile_131 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with the 'no such thing as cheating'. If I really want something, I make a conscious choice to have it and I go ahead and savor it. Nothing is off limits, but I also make a conscious choice to add an extra workout or cut back on calories the following day to balance the choice I made. I eat clean for the most part, but don't think of food as 'bad' or 'good'...just choices.
  • astange83
    astange83 Posts: 105
    Options
    What stops me whether or not calories are posted are two things:
    1. How long will I have to work out to keep that from sticking to me?
    2. I've been fat, I don't want to go back!! (Found college photos of me the other day, don't think they were even at my largest and couldn't believe the way I looked!, BTW the 10lb loss on here is in addition to the 60 I lost over the past two years)

Starting vacation today and nervous as all heck what will happen, I don't prepare my meals (visiting family) so I don't know exactly how much is going into me, and the only exercise option is walking/jogging the side of unmarked roads! Just going to try to estimate the best I can, portion control and fit a run in as often as possible.
  • Sodalites
    Sodalites Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use money as a motivator to not buy junk food. I keep track of the money I almost spent on unhealthy snacks and use it to buy something special.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the same thing, when I consider the amount of exercise it will take to burn the calories i walk away
  • alpdexplorer
    alpdexplorer Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    *Calories.

*Progress I've made.

*How many calories I'd have to burn to get rid of it.

& if I REALLY want it, I will just take a bite or two and give away the rest.
  • jojo86xdd
    jojo86xdd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Nothing. If I want it, I eat it, I log it and work it in. Boom. Done. But this is, of course, because I don't believe in cheating. I believe in balance and it's what works for me.
  • jojo86xdd
    jojo86xdd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My thoughts exactly. ^This
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Knowing something isn't worth it.
  • JuantonBliss
    JuantonBliss Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Honestly it's just knowing how ****ty most of the food is. If you're gonna cheat at least do it in moderation, you don't have to overindulge. Do like chocolate covered strawberries or something. You don't have to eat a whole freakin cake. I'm not saying I don't get cravings, but then I have like 3cookies and then I'm set.
  • KRB28
    KRB28 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I don't look at myself as being on a diet so I wouldn't choose the word cheating. I'm making healthier choices, and if I choose to eat something with a higher calorie count then I make sure that I have the available calories and or I work out hard to account for it. I think I would have many "cheat" days if I restricted myself.
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I never cheat, I eat healthily as possible and allow myself a 'treat' every now and then if it's within my allowance. I used to drink quite a lot of wine, now I don't because I'd rather eat something than drink it. It's all about trade off's and the question 'Is what I'm just about to put in my mouth worth the hour/ 2 hours I'm gonna have to spend on the treadmill to work it off again'
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Personally I work in treats into my diet so I never feel like it's cheating. However, when I'm having a craving for something greasy, or if it's a late hour etc., I look at old pictures. I keep a before and after photo in my phone for easy access and looking at it always set me straight.