Is it ok to exercise everyday?

Options
i know some people who are doing lifting,abs exercise or cardio exercise everyday,, is it good or bad?

Replies

• eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    You're going to hear different opinions based on different personal experiences.

Personally, if I'm doing an intense program, I make sure I do it at least every other day. If I'm just going for a walk or doing some yoga, I do it whenever I want to do it.
  • haroldz123
    haroldz123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    U need rest day for the muscle to grow
    Use rest day for cardio or interval

Or workout on monday and tuesday (different group of muscles each day)

Then rest on Wednesday

Continue on Thursday and friday
  • Merci444
    Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I always take a rest day one day a week, or when I feel I need the regeneration. Even when I take a rest day though I will do something light like walking, or stretching. I feel that my body needs the rest time, but I am careful not to take too many rest days because I am in a good habit of working out every day and want to stay there!
  • tonafoto
    tonafoto Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Do my workouts 5 days a week, I rest in the weekend.
    I train differten groups on different days, so that the groups have minimum 1 day rest.
    I´m feeling very good about it, and more important... I see results.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    i do something every day, on the weekends usually just jog or hit the stairs at the high school stadium
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    If you have common sense, no, it's not okay.

If you can exercise everyday, you're doing it wrong.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Depends on fat stores, deficit, intensity, and goals.
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    It is good to take one or two rest days per week. You will still see results, trust me.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I "rest" when there's no cool classes available at the gym that align with my schedule, so Friday is currently my rest day. And most Mondays. That first work day of the week is just..Eww. If circumstances lined up nicely, I'd probably exercise everyday. I mostly only do BodyFlow on Sundays so with a day like that in the mix, exercising everyday doesn't seem detrimental to me at all.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Eventually you will break your body. Rest is the only way to recovery.
  • frodo2604
    Options
    Opinions vary but the best way is to have recovery days between workouts so that your muscles can then become stronger:)
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    It depends on your workouts.

Rule is you always need at least ONE rest day for your body to recover.

If yuor got over and HR of working out i recommend a rest day after but either way you do it. You need ONE rest day a week. Alot of people take 2 or 3 but I do 1 rest day a week.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Taking every other day for rest is mostly broscience. There are many many farmers and commuter cyclists among other folks who would be in deep trouble if this weren't the case.
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Taking every other day for rest is mostly broscience. There are many many farmers and commuter cyclists among other folks who would be in deep trouble if this weren't the case.
    Commuter cycling is nowhere as "difficult" (by various metrics) as trying to deadlift 350 lbs . . . My guess is that frequency of rest required is positively correlated to difficulty of workout.
  • pcastagner
    Options

Lol no.

Going for a bike ride or baling hay is fine, but if you lift heavy you need to rest from lifting heavy. Especially when on reduced calories.

For a farmer, the point is to do the work. When lifting and cutting weight, the goal is to lose body mass while losing as little muscle as possible. When lifting and bulking, the idea is to make muscle and get stronger, which again, works better with rest.

When you have lots of body fat it's not as hard, but for me, recovery on reduced cals really slowed down once I was below 16% or so. If I got this right, you a 5'4 and 196 lbs? A good schedule for you might be hitting every muscle group to failure twice a week, with as much cardio as you want (and farmwork) on your rest days. If you can handle more than that, you aren't lifting hard enough.

Really though, I think your idea of "rest" is not right. You can be active on a rest day, no need to avoid moving altogether. If cycling to work is part of your daily routine you shouldn't change to driving just because you started lifting weights. I like to hike, bike, and jump rope on my rest days.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Its true to an extent, Its just that he used a poor example. The need for rest days is blown way out of proportion and has no real basis in science. Muscle hypertrophy takes 48 hrs at the most, and this is from an insanely intense workout. People doing body splits, hitting a muscle group only once a week are completely short changing themselves.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I don't think the OP mentioned being on a rigorous heavy lifting plan...

I think it depends on what you're doing and why you're doing it. I take at least a day in between my heavy lifting days, but there are plenty other ways to work out that I consider just upping my activity level vs sitting on the couch all day. Like walking, jogging, swimming, etc.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Its true to an extent, Its just that he used a poor example. The need for rest days is blown way out of proportion and has no real basis in science. Muscle hypertrophy takes 48 hrs at the most, and this is from an insanely intense workout. People doing body splits, hitting a muscle group only once a week are completely short changing themselves.

That is a far cry from resting every other day, and maximum explosive strength takes abut a week to recover. Hypertrophy should not be the only goal.. Full body every other day works for some but I can't handle it.

On a bulk, twice a week is just about right, and on a cut,, every fourth day is plenty. Some people need a bit of extra recovery time.

I'm doing upper/lower splits, alternating between high volume and very heavy. It's working really well. But I NEED those rest days.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    I don't think the OP mentioned being on a rigorous heavy lifting plan...

I think it depends on what you're doing and why you're doing it. I take at least a day in between my heavy lifting days, but there are plenty other ways to work out that I consider just upping my activity level vs sitting on the couch all day. Like walking, jogging, swimming, etc.

The op mentioned lifting, and the answer in question mentioned farmwork and cycling as exams of why rest days are "broscience".
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I've done a workout every single day for 557 days. Not one rest day, not one day off. Always cardio. I cant lift so cardio is all I can do.