How to Cut cals in Reg Jello - if you don't like SF...

Options
I was eating Jello today - I forgot how much I love it and boy does it fill me up now! Then I remembered my MIL's fav trick for cutting the sugar. I'm not a fan of sugar substitutes - or super sweetness, so this is perfect for me.

For a 3 oz (the small box) pkg - add 1 envelope of unflavoured gelatine and double the water. Use 2 cups boiling water first and the trick is to stir it for a very long time to give the gelatine a chance to melt. Even if it looks melted, stir it for another couple of minutes. Then add your 2 cups of cold water, or ice depending on how you like to make it. Chill until set (the setting time stays about the same).
Bingo! Regular Jello with half the calories! You can use it in all your Jello recipes just the same.

Replies

• Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea :happy: - I'm much like you, a little sweetness goes a long way. When we were kids my mom used to put a half a cup of sugar in the Kool Aid packs as opposed to the whole cup the directions called for. I much prefer less sweet beverages and stuff as an adult and I bet that's why - thanks, Mom! :bigsmile:
  • Natalie511
    Natalie511 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you ...that is a great idea...I am going to have to try it tonight...
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea :happy: - I'm much like you, a little sweetness goes a long way. When we were kids my mom used to put a half a cup of sugar in the Kool Aid packs as opposed to the whole cup the directions called for. I much prefer less sweet beverages and stuff as an adult and I bet that's why - thanks, Mom! :bigsmile:

Yep! me too! Health and political arguments aside, that's one reason I don't care for the artificial sweeteners...they are just TOO SWEET!