'Small plate' diet

Options
What do people think about it? Does it actually work?

Replies

• helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Nope, I end up using 2 or 3 small plates all at once lol!
    Obviously it's about portion control, the size of your plate does not help you loose weight. The size of your portions may.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit works, even with a big plate.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I see how much I can fit on the plate, then try to break that record.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There are some experiments showing that it does have some effect. Also there are some experiments showing that using bigger implements (forks and spoons) has some effect. Since much of our eating rests upon decisions we make consciously or unconsciously, what works for you may not work for me and vice versa.

If the size of your plate fools you into thinking that the portion you have is more or less adequate, then plate size works for you. For some foods, I do find the empty area of the plate makes we want to get more. For others, not so much.

This is all a variation on placebo effect to which we are all susceptible, some more, some less.
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I find using a smaller plate helps me. I don't go for a sandwich sized plate - just a smaller dinner plate It makes a small meal seem bigger.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    It has helped me. I use the smallest plate/container/ziploc bag when possible so that I feel I am getting more. I have these great small plastic containers I use for peanuts-just 1 oz and its full enough to where I think I'm satisfied afterwards.
  • aharburger
    aharburger Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You may also try using a standard sized dinner plate that has a bold border. That way you just train yourself to stay inside the lines! I can't promise it will work for everyone, but it helps me cut back on going back for seconds if i have a large plate to begin with.
  • RubyRunner14
    RubyRunner14 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I use a busy-patterned plate that's about 8" and also is a bit steep, almost like a shallow bowl. I eat less (or think I've eaten more) when I have that versus the regular 11" white square shallow plates my family uses.

I also read somewhere that blue is a good color for keeping temptation at bay... probably b/c it's a calming color? I dunno, worth a shot.
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I find it helps me control portion sizes at a buffet or party situation. Basically where I do not have access to the scale and I'm loading up my own plate. At home I just use the scale, so the size of the plate doesn't matter. At chain restaurants things are somewhat portioned out already.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I see how much I can fit on the plate, then try to break that record.

LOL!
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I use the same size plate I've been using for years. It hasn't effected my portion sizes at all. I cook the amount I want whether it fills my plate or not.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    It works! I make my dinner and then package up half of it before I eat it.
  • Bennett056
    Bennett056 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    We do use a small plate but add a bowl if we are having salad. Since we have been eating smaller portions the plate is full but not sure if really helps in making me feel full.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    The only thing that works is eating at a deficit. You can fit a whole lot of calories on a small plate.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I think the idea behind the small plate diet is to "trick" yourself into seeing more food than you actually have because the plate is smaller. It doesn't work for me. I still see that the plate is smaller than usual and know that the food is in a smaller amount, but that's me.
  • emmajane2211
    emmajane2211 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hmm this is interesting thanks guys x
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I can't see how it would work. You can put ribs or mac'n cheese on a small plate, it's still more calories than chicken breast and veggies. Heck I can fill my big plate pretty well and still only eat 400 calories of food for dinner...