Hungry...

Options
I have been having hunger issues lately. I feel like I am starving. I have been super focused for 3+ months so my body should be used to my eating patterns. I eat 5-6 times a day, drink tons of water, stay away from empty calories and get lots of protien (on most days) so why am I hungry. Please tell me other people feel this too. Some days I feel like I am going crazy because I want to eat more to get the hunger feelings to go away, but don't want to eat too much. My diary is open so feel free to take a peek. Thanks.

Replies

• soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    You've been eating 1100-1300 calories for the last week. I'm 5'4" 130lbs and I need to eat more than that just to get out of bed each morning. My diary is a disaster; I'm no golden example of the perfect diet, but I do know that my body needs 1300 calories just to survive (i.e. if i were to sleep all day). If you're interested, I'd look into your TDEE and eat 15-20% below that to lose. And since that deficit is already built in, be sure to eat back any exercise calories--you'll need those to keep you going through your next workout. I hope some of that helps! I hate being hungry!
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I would add in some green leafy veggies (you can eat A LOT for only a few calories). Also - I would say you need more healthy fats. Olive or coconut oil, butter, nuts, etc. This will help keep you much more satisfied.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Pick one or two days a week to go high calorie and combine that with high volume strength training. It's awesome!
  • jodsap
    jodsap Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I have been on this track for eight months and have lost 58lbs with little bursts of " feeling hungry " here and there. Lately though, I have had the same problem but for longer. Almost 3 weeks now I have been fighting the " good lord, I just ate and I am still hungry ! " . Not sure if I am getting more active so I am burning more and require more ( not much has changed here so I don't really think its this.), or maybe my metabolism kicked in a tad and I am just flat out burning calories faster than I was. Or maybe it is time to buckle down and eat more veggies than I have been so it sticks longer. Or I need to slow down eating some more. Ack! Too many variables....
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If this is legitimate hunger, and it sounds like it is, then I'd listen to your body and eat more!

Great info here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    You're not hitting your calorie goals according to your diary. Make sure you hit those most days and your hunger might abate a bit.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Stop eating all the small meals and eat larger meals with less frequency. I like to eat 2-3 times a day. It keeps me much more satisfied.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Is your logging spot on?? By looking at your diary I see quite a few days where you are leaving 300-500 calories on the table, any reason why you aren't eating those calories??
  • angellmoore
    angellmoore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Is your logging spot on?? By looking at your diary I see quite a few days where you are leaving 300-500 calories on the table, any reason why you aren't eating those calories??

My diary is accurate, except for Monday. I forgot to log after lunch.

Thanks for the responses. I will try to increase calories a bit and add more veggies to see if that helps. I noticed today that when I had a cup of coffee today it seemed to curb some of the hunger. Not sure why that works better than water but being a coffee addict, I am okay with that. :)
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I'm not surprised you're hungry... you're not taking on enough calories surely for the amount of exercise you're doing. In the last week you were 2,000 under at least. Any reason for that?

Perhaps pushing yourself a little hard? I don't know... I know when I get really REALLY hungry and ignore it I usually have a massive weight loss the next day. I think my body goes 'OK, we'll try the fat reserves instead'.

I eat loads of baked potatoes if I'm determined to stay in my calorie range on a particular day. Half a kilo yesterday, I think!

You have done so well - lost so much, very impressive, btw, good work! :-)

Jenny x
  • angellmoore
    angellmoore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I updated my profile to increase my calories by 100 per day. I'm not totally sure how the tdee thing works. I did an online calculation which showed my BMR to be around 1448. My TDEE is 2118. If I am calculating this right then 15-20% defecit would be 1695-1801, but then I don't think I eat back my exercise calories correct? This has always confused me.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I was told if you wait 20 minutes and you still feel hungry then it is real hunger.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    eat? just a thought.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    OP - I know exactly how you feel - I have been STARVING lately. It was driving me crazy. So I went back and looked at my diary and exercise - nothing changed. So I came up with some strategy to fix it and the next day it was gone - now I'm stuck with loads of itty bitty granola bars.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I updated my profile to increase my calories by 100 per day. I'm not totally sure how the tdee thing works. I did an online calculation which showed my BMR to be around 1448. My TDEE is 2118. If I am calculating this right then 15-20% defecit would be 1695-1801, but then I don't think I eat back my exercise calories correct? This has always confused me.

Correct. When you calculated your TDEE, you should have accounted for all your regular activity, including exercise.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I am fairly new to this site but one of the things I asked early on was if it were an issue to go over my protein targets. The answer was to not worry as it wont do you any harm to eat more than target and protein is what helps you feel fuller for longer

Thought I would mention this as from what I saw you are consistently under your protein target