what to do when you have a sweet tooth :-/

Options
hey everyone.

i am eating really healthily of recent, my only downfall is sweet things. i love candy, chocolate, cakes, all of that. has anyone got tips on how they beat their cravings/ habit?

Replies

• AliciaNineteen72
    Options
    My reply will probably be different than most, but I say everything in moderation, and you'll actually be able to stick with the program lifelong. I say buy a small bag of Hershey's miniatures or whatever you like and have small amounts when you have the calories to do so! What I have found (and I have a major sweet tooth!) is that most of my sugar now comes from fruit that I love. Fruit tastes amazing to me now that I've been back to eating better, and it takes care of a large part of the sweet tooth issue for me. I hope you find what works well for you!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Mcdonalds vanilla cone = 150 calories, you can usually fit thst in.
  • 333slimdown
    Options
    Hi trianglesfocu, I have a sweet tooth the size of a refrigerator. Sweets have always been a terrible obstacle for me. The difficulty for me is that I cannot eat "a bite of cake" or a couple of Hershey's Kisses. Once the candy or frosting is in my mouth, I am like an alcoholic. I have no skills to take a few bites and then walk away. When I go to the mall, I am distracted by the smells and sights of all the desserts they offer. When I take that first bite and then the second bite and continue on to my second serving, I feel like I black out. Then the remorse and guilt set in. Because desserts and sweet treats are such a challenge for me, I literally have to refuse them. I have to turn my head when I go to an event that serves sweets. I wish I could give you a magical tip that would help you, however, I have to pretend that the sweets are the enemy and look at them with disdain and contempt. I cannot even put one bite in my mouth.
  • shadowlydarkness
    shadowlydarkness Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Ihave the same issue, so I got my partner to help me. Everytime we buy chocolate or anything else 'bad' he hides it in the spare room somewhere so it is out of sight and I basicly forget about it, then when we feel like eating it he will hand me what I am allowed to have (I tel him how many calories I got left for the day andhe gives me the amount of chocolate that fits that) So that would be my tip, if you can let someone else in the house control when and how much you get.

Though I must admit I do sometimes go mental at him if he doesnt give enough and I become a b**** until he gives me more. So the next day he forces me onto the crosstrainer to work it off haha. It works for us, hope you find something that works for you!
  • mewilmes
    mewilmes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I like Lily's chocolate. They are sweetened with stevia. Half of a bar is 160 calories but with 25% of your daily iron requirement. I also make french toast and put unsulphered blackstrap molasses on it. It has both iron and calcium and is about 60 calories a tablespoon. I put the molasses on yogurt too.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I have good quality dark chocolate on hand most of the time. A square or two of that sets me right. I also keep ice cream sandwiches around (1 is usually 170 cals).
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Hi trianglesfocu, I have a sweet tooth the size of a refrigerator. Sweets have always been a terrible obstacle for me. The difficulty for me is that I cannot eat "a bite of cake" or a couple of Hershey's Kisses. Once the candy or frosting is in my mouth, I am like an alcoholic. I have no skills to take a few bites and then walk away. When I go to the mall, I am distracted by the smells and sights of all the desserts they offer. When I take that first bite and then the second bite and continue on to my second serving, I feel like I black out. Then the remorse and guilt set in. Because desserts and sweet treats are such a challenge for me, I literally have to refuse them. I have to turn my head when I go to an event that serves sweets. I wish I could give you a magical tip that would help you, however, I have to pretend that the sweets are the enemy and look at them with disdain and contempt. I cannot even put one bite in my mouth.

This USED to be me! I wasn't happy with one donut, nope, had to have 6! Not just one king size bag of M&M's but two! On and on....
    UNTIL I quit eating all the crap and I started losing. Then the loss of weight and the smaller size it brings is way more important to me than the sweet itself. Now that I've refused to eat any of it for 6 months. I find that one Hershey's kiss (at 20 calories I think) is enough to satisfy my craving for it. But I DID have to go through those 6 months of not eating any of it.
    However you control it, I hope it works out for you. Moderation works for some, but I think if you have the obsession like some of us do, moderation at first isn't going to work. Eventually it might though!

I have used those cocoa covered almonds instead of chocolate right at first. Those didn't have many calories to them and almonds are good for you.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Eat something sweet.
  • jsanchezgonzalez
    jsanchezgonzalez Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    make your own home made ice cream using greek yogurt, cocoa powder, and almond milk...srs
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    We just bought something new called dannon light and fit cherry flavor greek yogurt. its way better than i thought way more food than i thought and way creamier than i thought. I almost thought of shaving a square of ghirardelli chocolate we always have on hand into it and or maybe some raw almonds crunched up but as I started eating it I just liked it how it was. maybe next time I'll try the extra things in it.
  • aezaidan
    aezaidan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I feel like I may not be qualified to give out any advice on here yet; I just started eating healthy about a week and half ago and I've only lost a few lbs so far. However, I am a sweetaholic and before this week, you could usually find me gorging myself with ice cream, cookies, brownies (or ice cream with brownies and cookies mixed in ... topped with fudge... and whipped cream! -- I wish I could say I was kidding.) But then I found my savior.... this recipe for these awesome pb, chocolate chip and oat snack bites.

They are low cal, filled will all sorts of good-for-you stuff and they taste like cookies!! I made a double batches to keep a bunch in my freezer at all times. I LOVE them and I am not someone who readily enjoys health food. Bananas are great, but they don't taste like candy.... or cookies.... or any kind of junk food that I love. lol.

Anyway, I can eat one (sometimes two if my calorie limit allows it) and feel totally satisfied rather than having half a box of oreos before my sweet tooth is satiated. So, here it is if you're interested.... Also, disclaimer, this is not my recipe. I wish I could remember what blog I got it from, cuz that person totally deserves the credit!!

Hope this helps!!

1 cup quick-cooking oats
    1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
    ½ cup natural, crunchy peanut butter
    ⅓ cup honey
    ¼ cup ground flaxseed meal
    ¼ cup toasted wheat germ
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    ¼ cup mini chocolate chips

Add in all ingredients except chocolate chips and stir until well combined.
    Then add chocolate chips to mixture and stir again, just until combined.
    Using your hands, press firmly to form one-inch balls. add just a touch of water if they are not coming together properly.
    Place in air-tight container and refrigerate as needed.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    eat the sweet things, and lift some weights
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    have it pulled.
  • fish1552
    fish1552 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I second GreenMonsterGirl. Try some of the Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds. They taste like chocolate but are 150 calories for 1/4 cup (and only 1 gram of sugar). A co-worker I work out with got me hooked on them, so if I have them on hand, I eat a very small handful and it soothes my cravings. I've even used the Special K brownies (100 calories) and take small, slow bites to savor it and it takes care of the cravings. Or sugar free pudding & gelatin.

You just have to try something and maybe see what works for you.
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    I have good quality dark chocolate on hand most of the time. A square or two of that sets me right.

I do this. I buy fancy dark chocolate bars, and I eat one row of squares a night. It's about 80 calories, depending on the brand. I eat them slowly, and savor them. It's easier for me to turn down treats at work, etc., b/c I know I've got my chocolate coming.

Also, dark chocolate is a bit of an acquired taste - stick it out for a while, and your palate will change. Now milk chocolate or gooey cakes taste like... Too much. Fine as a very rare event, but not what I want on a regular occasion.
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    Also, I'm not a big fan of fake sugar or sorta-like-the-real-thing food products. I'd rather have a little bit of something amazing than a big serving of synthetic dessert-like substances. But, I'm snobby like that. ;)
  • Ariberri9
    Ariberri9 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Whenever I get a sweet tooth, I usually eat some sweet fruit -- pears or mangoes, usually. But if my sweet tooth is particularly bad, I'll try to find a "healthier alternative" frozen yogurt instead of ice cream, dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate, etc. Play around, and see what happens!

And there's also, of course, moderation. If you restrict yourself too much, your body will crash; and if you get your hands on sweets, you'll go into overdrive.
  • bzign
    bzign Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have found that adding cinnamon to things like unsweetened greek yogurt really helps curb any sweet cravings, it sort of tricks you into thinking you are eating a sweet thing and now I can't handle eating anything too sugary, you could also try chromium.
  • joejoe456
    joejoe456 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A serving of Black Cherry Non-fat Greek Yogurt works for me.
  • 333slimdown
    Options
    That is hilarious. I gotta tell you, that's the funniest line I have heard in years. I should have pulled my sweet tooth long ago!!!. I saw a silver charm of a tooth (probably for a dental assistant). I should put that on a necklace! Thanks for seeing the humor. By the way, I'm stealing your line.