Protein Bar

Options
Hello, I've been going to the gym after work, then I have an hour drive home. I'd like something quick and easy before i drive by 5000 fast food rest. My thinking was a protein bard, but they all seem so sugary and processed. Anyone do any research on a "better" one to have than the others? OR even another idea besides a protein bar. I plan on eating dinner when i get home, so it doesn't have to be much.

thanks.
7b

Replies

• brittany0859
    Options
    Quest bars are really good. I think they have about 20 grams of protein and low sugars. Kinda expensive but they're one of the best protein bars. I don't know if this would be possible, but you could make a protein shake at work before you leave for the gym?
  • sector7b
    Options
    I just checked out their site. It looks good!! thanks for the tip.
  • joyfulhappyheart
    joyfulhappyheart Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I both tried quest-- they taste horrible to us. I'm not sure why they're so popullar, because uugh! LOL

Our local health food store recommended Oh Yeah Victory bars (Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough is my favorite)-- much better taste, great stats-- good fiber and protein! Good taste and texture doesn't make me gag. :D

The only place in town that sells them is my small health food store, or I can buy online for slightly cheaper.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I just checked out their site. It looks good!! thanks for the tip.
    If your interested in quest bars but not the price, a couple days ago I posted a website that shows you how to make your own ones.
  • sector7b
    Options
    I just picked up some quest bars, they aren't that good, but they do have a much better ingredients list. I'm going to check out the Victory bars.
    Justine, i'd be interested in that recipe if you can post it here, that would be great.

Thanks.

Joe
  • RubyRunner14
    RubyRunner14 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Make homemade ones. There are TONS of recipes out there.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    cookie dough by qUEST,,nm nom nom
  • ChrystalDutton
    ChrystalDutton Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    chocolate chip cookie dough are mine and hubbys fav quest bar, especially warmed in the microwave for 15 seconds!
  • ShadeBlossom
    ShadeBlossom Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I really like the Nature Valley dark chocolate and peanut butter protein bars.
  • IshaAnderson18
    IshaAnderson18 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try heating up quest bars for like 30 seconds in the microwave if you don't like them! They are sooooo much better that way even though I like them both heated and normal. Hope that helps! :)
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options
    I used to make my own bars, they were pretty easy and kept for ages but I haven't made them in a while. There are heaps of ways to do them and they taste a lot better than what you find in the shop. There are heaps of websites out there but proteinpow is one of the best. You can mix things up however you want to whatever suits you. The best things to use I found were nuts (almonds, hazelnuts), goji berries, cherries, dates, oats, peanut butter and cocoa (but not all those things at once - choc goji for example with some cocoa, goji, nuts and dates as a base was a goodie). I found that roughly 2 scoops of protein per 1/2kg of other ingredients is pretty good and not overpowered but it all depends on the powder you use and what else you put in it. The only other big tip I can give you is to make sure you mix the protein powder (and cocoa if using it) in a little water first so that the bar doesn't taste grainy.

http://www.proteinpow.com/
    http://www.proteinpow.com/search/label/Protein Bars

Good luck - enjoy!
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    http://www.sweetcheetah.com/2013/07/diy-quest-bars.html
    Variations:
    -Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough: use vanilla protein powder and sunflower butter, and chocolate chips/cacao nibs
    -Cinnamon Roll: use vanilla protein powder and add 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
    -Chocolate Brownie: use chocolate protein powder and add 1-2 tbsp cacao powder
    -Vanilla Almond Crunch: use vanilla protein powder, almond butter, and add 2 tbsp of almond pieces
    -Peanut Butter Supreme: use vanilla protein powder and peanut butter
    -Chocolate Peanut Butter: use chocolate protein powder and peanut butter
    -Coconut Cashew: use vanilla protein powder, cashew butter and unsweetened coconut
    -Lemon Cream Pie: use vanilla protein powder, sunflower butter and 1 tbsp lemon juice
    -PB & J: use vanilla protein powder, peanut butter and add 1/4 cup dehydrated strawberries (thinly sliced strawberries placed on a cookie sheet and left in the oven overnight on the lowest setting)
    -Mixed Berry Bliss: use vanilla protein powder, sunflower butter and dehydrated blueberries and strawberries
    -Strawberry Cheesecake: use vanilla protein powder, sunflower butter and dehydrated strawberries
    -White Chocolate Raspberry: use vanilla protein powder, sunflower butter and dehydrated raspberries
  • softballislife7
    softballislife7 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    chocolate chip cookie dough quest bars! they taste just like cookie dough!
  • ARoseinDecember
    Options
    None of them are really great...they are what they are...lots of calories in a little form. That said, Larabars have very few (& totally pronounceable) ingredients.
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Just drink a thick post workout shake!!! instead of 8oz (water/almond milk etc) per scoop of protein use about 5-6oz! that fulls me up if I ever feel the need to eat after the gym
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Went to that site and the homemade cookie dough bar..nom nom nom. It looks like a gooey cookie dough Zone Perfect, which I really like but the store near hasn't been stocking it lately. Anyone know a good vanilla protein powder to use? I used Lean Dessert powder a while back and it was good, but a bit pricey.

OP, I mostly buy the Clif brand bars (the Builder's has 20g of protein) because they don't have trans fats. It's hard to find a protein bar at the store that doesn't have a type of trans fat listed in the ingredients.