I've got a smidge of a complaint....

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If it helps, 2 oz of pasta is generally 1 cup cooked. However, I usually manage to find an entry that meets my needs, whatever I'm eating.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, I hate it when stuff isn't entered by weight. A cup of carrots, or apples? Am I being stingy with my cup or should I cram in as much as possible?

I just really like weighing everything.

Me too. Though I don't count calories anymore, when I did, I weighed *everything* in grams. I found it much easier to stick to serving sizes listed on the labels of foods. Also doubling a serving size meant you'd actually DOUBLE rather than triple which may sometimes be the case.

ETA: consider the measurement 'scant' cup vs. rounded cup, etc. Using weight cuts out that variable quick-fast!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    OP, there is an important message here from everyone advising you to weigh your food. I hope you listen. It's excellent advice.
  • hookilau
    Options
    It drives me nutty when founds are listed by the ounce or some other measuring....If I'm having salsa and chips, I measure out by tablespoons my salsa and a number of chips (for example)...I don't measure out x many ounces of chips....who does that?!

Who does that? People who are serious about losing weight or people who want to track their calories accurately. Love my scale!

Yup that's who. People like me who care about accuracy.

Again, me too :wink:
    However, to people who are not familiar with MFP or people who are casually trying to lose weight for the last 30 years, but only actually considering it out loud, weighing in grams seems extreme :laugh:

I remember the look on my mom's face when I weighed out her 2 FULL soup bowls of cashews to show her how many calories she as actually consuming :noway: She thought since she was eating nuts, (actually grazing) she was being healthy but the calorie count was enough to make her ditch the soup bowls :ohwell:
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If you really want to be certain about how much you are eating then the only accurate way is to weigh it accurately.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I love having pineapples with cottage cheese. I use canned pineapples. the label says 2 pineapple slices or "x" grams in parentheses. I weigh the 2 slices and it's always less than the "x" grams. I can usually get 3 slices to weigh up the "x" grams listed. I want the extra slice of pineapple!! So count me in for being in favor of weighing. Same can be said for chips. If the label says 10 chips is whatever grams but you can get 15 chips for the same weight...yeah I'll take the extra chips too!

Edited typo. Also, I do use Tbsp. and cups but I prefer to weigh as it really is more accurate.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, I hate it when stuff isn't entered by weight. A cup of carrots, or apples? Am I being stingy with my cup or should I cram in as much as possible?

I just really like weighing everything.
    Same here! I eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies. How the heck do you measure a cup of cherries accurately? Strawberries...same problem. A cup of strawberry halves? Really??? ugh!!
  • GenF32
    GenF32 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

I read a post last week from a poor newbie who searched in the mfp database until she found something she really liked...3 chicken thighs for 150 calories. Ha! She had no scale, had cooked 10 thighs in a crock pot and wanted help calculating how many calories she had. Broke my heart to tell her an average chicken thigh of 190 grams wasn't 50 calories, but over 400 calories (3 thighs would be 1200 calories, not 150). Does anyone have a 50 calorie chicken thigh to spare? I'm hungry! :laugh: (Anyhow, I get why some foods are listed by weight and some by quantity).

Now this really gives me the sh*ts. Is there some way the mods can/do go through the database and remove things that are clearly inaccurate? I see things all the time in people's diaries where I think 'absolutely no way is that correct', but they've probably just done what I sometimes do, which is take the 'middle' option of a range of calorie counts or go with what 'feels' right. Most of the time if I'm suss on it I'll google and try to corroborate the calorie count against other sources.
  • hookilau
    Options

I read a post last week from a poor newbie who searched in the mfp database until she found something she really liked...3 chicken thighs for 150 calories. Ha! She had no scale, had cooked 10 thighs in a crock pot and wanted help calculating how many calories she had. Broke my heart to tell her an average chicken thigh of 190 grams wasn't 50 calories, but over 400 calories (3 thighs would be 1200 calories, not 150). Does anyone have a 50 calorie chicken thigh to spare? I'm hungry! :laugh: (Anyhow, I get why some foods are listed by weight and some by quantity).

Now this really gives me the sh*ts. Is there some way the mods can/do go through the database and remove things that are clearly inaccurate? I see things all the time in people's diaries where I think 'absolutely no way is that correct', but they've probably just done what I sometimes do, which is take the 'middle' option of a range of calorie counts or go with what 'feels' right. Most of the time if I'm suss on it I'll google and try to corroborate the calorie count against other sources.

I never trusted the database as some stuff was incredibly off. I used the labels on the products & if it still seemed funky, googled for additional info as you do. Once you get your base list of foods you eat the most though, it gets easier.
  • xxhawk68xx
    xxhawk68xx Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My eyes certainly opened wide once i invested in a food scale! Scales are the only way forward :smile:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    My eyes certainly opened wide once i invested in a food scale! Scales are the only way forward :smile:

The truth. Until you start weighing everything - you're not accurate. If you're not accurate - you're eating more than you think you are. If you're eating more than you think you are - you're usually not losing. Get a scale.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I don't measure out x many ounces of chips....who does that?!

*raises hand*

Until I can estimate a lot better, everything is weighed, counted, and measured.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I think it is very important to weigh and measure at home. More importantly, to notice how much the "volume" is so when you are on vacation, or eating out or in a situation where weighing and measuring is up to you and your eyeballs, you do a "reasonable" estimate.

In Houston, I find that a portion served in a restaurant is 2 to 10 times what I would eat at home with few exceptions. I order appetizers most of the time for lunch, seriously.

And because I am on maintenance, if a pound creep up ... I look at how many meals I ate out, most of the time I weigh and measure the next day, and wow, I find that I am "underestimating" my calories again. Seriously, portion control is lifelong learning.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

3 chicken thighs is 1200 calories? I've weighed out thigh meat tons of times, and 190 grams is a massive chicken thigh. Is this fried? Skin on? baked? Rotisserie? Bathed in butter? Coated in mole?

The average skin-on chicken thigh is around 240 calories. A fried chicken thigh is anywhere from 250-370 calories, depending on the size, skin on or off, breading and egg wash used. A leg quarter is closer to 410 calories, but that's thigh and drumstick. Getting to 1200 calories is equivalent to eating 6 pieces of dark meat, skin-on baked chicken. There are silly calorie counts all in MFP. If something looks too good to be true, Google is a great tool, as is NutritionData. And if something looks completely blown out of proportion, ditto.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I don't measure out x many ounces of chips....who does that?!
    Me!!! Just did that yesterday. I weigh everything except for vegetables. Much more accurate that way.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    It annoys me when I have a recipe that gives amounts in ounces when the food I buy is listed in grams.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Weighing food is much more accurate.
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem as you, but everyone responding seems right...we both need food scales!! anyone recommend a good food scale?