Ongoing muscle tightness...

Options
Hi everyone. I just started on MFP 4 days ago and find the response from the community when one asks for help great. I could use some help. I am in need of some stretching ideas. I have been very tight in almost all of my muscles for a very long time. I sit at a desk all day long and very sedentary. I am turning that around however it is painful to do everything e.g. walking, cleaning, moving period. I wake up in am and first walk is not fun. Any ideas welcome!

Replies

• keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Pilates is great for stretching, you can find some on youtube to try out. My other suggestion is massage therapy on a regular basis. I struggled with headaches for a long time, mostly caused by muscle tension. Since starting massage therapy I very rarely have a headache. I love my job but sitting at a desk/computer all day is hard on the body.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Does massage therapy help with flexibility? I have no flexibility and would like to get some.
  • Superfantastic
    Options
    Yoga is great for both stretching and flexibility. Even when I don't have time to do a full session of yoga or go to a class, I use the stretches I learned there for tight muscles.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    yoga
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    Yoga and Pilates are great for both stretching and flexibility. You might be a bit frustrated at first because you can't get into those poses, but if you keep at it, your body will be able to do things you didn't think possible.
  • lizziecheek
    lizziecheek Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! Thanks for the help. I love massage therapy and have not gone lately due to so uncomfortable about my weight. I guess it is time to put on my big girl panties and just get over that. I will check out Pilates and yoga. I have On Demand t.v. and may find them there.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Does massage therapy help with flexibility? I have no flexibility and would like to get some.

This is only my opinion and experience. I think a combination of stretching and/or yoga/pilates and regular massage therapy will increase flexibility. I can tell in my golf swing when my muscles are tight, I don't have smooth fluid motion and backswing. I would recommend trying both yoga and pilates to see which one you like. I like pilates my daughter prefers yoga. Massage therapy has other health benefits so try it.

and to the OP - massage therapists see it all so don't let some weight gain keep you from going.