Yard Work Calories - WHOAHAA!!

Options
I had to do some yard work this weekend and put on my heart rate monitor to see how many calories I burn. Holly Molly!! 827 calories in 2 hours! Did not expect that much. That's a real life cross fit workout and yard looks awesome. I like this!!

Replies

• Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I work for a lawncare/tree removal company working 10+ hours a day and I burn mega calories. That's one reason I have to eat so many calories to maintain my weight.

ETA: I love it!
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    awesome!!!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Riding mower FTW
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Riding mower FTW

That's the easy way out. I prefer to weedeat!
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My work included also digging with shovel, pulling, and throwing lumber for about 40 minutes. I would think that majority of burn came from there.
  • SwellyStyles
    Options
    I worked a labor job building trails this summer for a Youth Corps in Colorado, eating 3500-4000 calories a day and still lost weight I didn't want to lose. Picking, shovelling, rock work 40 hours a week, physical labor burns crazy calories! Kick *kitten* my man!
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I did the same today because I didn't believe the calorie count MFP gives for yardwork/gardening as it is so high, but I guess it was correct. Although it's tough, I guess I never really thought of it as real exercise.
  • tigerlily886
    tigerlily886 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I should rake some leaves when it stops raining. I would rather rake leaves for two hours than do cardio. I hate cardio.
  • stariera
    stariera Posts: 224
    Options
    I know whenever I've done yard work and some serious house cleaning where I'm up and down moving things I burn tons of calories and I always feel better afterward with clean yard and/ or clean home.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I should rake some leaves when it stops raining. I would rather rake leaves for two hours than do cardio. I hate cardio.

EXACTLY!! Raking is my cardio in the fall. We have 3 large oak trees. Takes about 4 hours just to do the front yard.