I've got a smidge of a complaint....

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    This is one of the reasons why I weigh every chance I can: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

and specifically this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

I recommend that people do weigh where possible and not measure, unless liquid, or eyeball.

You know I really like the second link, but people have told me that most people really don't round up a scoop, and I agree, so I think the message is kinda lost because they are really overdoing it.

Personally, I want grams. Heck I want my liquids to show in grams too... it drives me nuts when I want to use milk and I have to get the measuring cup out instead of being able to just weigh it (maple syrup is even worse!).
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options

TL;DR: I appreciate everyone who puts their stuff in grams and want to banish all the people using cups to measure things that aren't liquids.

I'm with you on this one, I convert everything to grams, so much more accurate.
    To all who want an easy way to convert ounces to grams

http://www.metric-conversions.org/weight/ounces-conversion.htm

ETA- correct spelling
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, I hate it when stuff isn't entered by weight. A cup of carrots, or apples? Am I being stingy with my cup or should I cram in as much as possible?

I just really like weighing everything.
    so true
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Weighing is much more accurate.

Grams and millilitres are my favourites.

Sometimes I just can't be bothered to weigh everything, so then I'll look for the slightly more reliable entries from MFP in the database.

I don't think they can be located on the app, but on the website it's all the entries that don't have an asterisk by them.

On most of these entries, you can choose your preferred measurement types from grams to large/medium/small items to tablespoons to cups to ounces.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Options
    BTW ... bizarrely MFP lists in plurals. So if you look up 'tomato' you won't find their entry, but if you look up 'tomatoes' you will:
    9535959231_8431b6be6f_z.jpg
  • Seesawboomerang
    Options
    . duplicate post
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I don't weight.. so I have a similar complaint.. but it doesn't really bother me that much.. i just estimate.
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    This is one of the reasons why I weigh every chance I can: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

and specifically this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

I recommend that people do weigh where possible and not measure, unless liquid, or eyeball.

The youtube video is amazing - thanks for sharing!
  • KMMRN
    KMMRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I find weighing my food more accurate. One sweet potato can weigh 100 grams, or 300 grams! A huge calorie difference. When I weigh food, I know exactly how many calories I'm taking in.
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, I hate it when stuff isn't entered by weight. A cup of carrots, or apples? Am I being stingy with my cup or should I cram in as much as possible?

THIS!!!!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    It drives me nutty when founds are listed by the ounce or some other measuring....If I'm having salsa and chips, I measure out by tablespoons my salsa and a number of chips (for example)...I don't measure out x many ounces of chips....who does that?! Why in sam's hill can't they put an estimated quantity? I don't always want to weight my lunch meat, or chips, or dry pasta. I do have a scale but it's not always convenient.

*phew* glad you let me get that off my chest. Feel free to share your complaint ;)

I bet you a tablespoon of salsa doesn't meet the projected weight. For example my salad dressing is 90 calories for 2 tablespoons/34 grams. But when I weighed the amount in a tablespoon (put spoon on scale, zeroed out, added dressing) that tablespoon was 25 grams. Two tablespoons would have been 50 grams vs the 34 I think I'm eating. Not a huge difference really, but imagine it's something more calorie dense like peanut butter or just normal butter or mayo or whatever else.

I weigh my chips too. the bag says 10 chips/whatever grams and you know what? That amount of grams is more like 20 chips. I want all my damn chips.

TL;DR: I appreciate everyone who puts their stuff in grams and want to banish all the people using cups to measure things that aren't liquids.

What she said.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I think if you are getting the results you want by not weighing your food, by all means continue doing that. For me, it was the difference in not losing and wondering why ("but I'm eating at a deficit, why am I not losing?), and losing because I realized I was eating more than I thought. So yeah, I am one of the obsessive who weighs her food now (preferably in grams).
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

I am the same at the moment, I mean what size cup do they mean. I am also finding that you have to be careful of some of your selections from the database as well, for example some eggs have cholesterol listed and others don't

I will continue weighing and checking listings against packets/tins for now
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I read a post last week from a poor newbie who searched in the mfp database until she found something she really liked...3 chicken thighs for 150 calories. Ha! She had no scale, had cooked 10 thighs in a crock pot and wanted help calculating how many calories she had. Broke my heart to tell her an average chicken thigh of 190 grams wasn't 50 calories, but over 400 calories (3 thighs would be 1200 calories, not 150). Does anyone have a 50 calorie chicken thigh to spare? I'm hungry! :laugh: (Anyhow, I get why some foods are listed by weight and some by quantity).

Now this really gives me the sh*ts. Is there some way the mods can/do go through the database and remove things that are clearly inaccurate? I see things all the time in people's diaries where I think 'absolutely no way is that correct', but they've probably just done what I sometimes do, which is take the 'middle' option of a range of calorie counts or go with what 'feels' right. Most of the time if I'm suss on it I'll google and try to corroborate the calorie count against other sources.

3 chicken thighs is 1200 calories? I've weighed out thigh meat tons of times, and 190 grams is a massive chicken thigh. Is this fried? Skin on? baked? Rotisserie? Bathed in butter? Coated in mole?

The average skin-on chicken thigh is around 240 calories. A fried chicken thigh is anywhere from 250-370 calories, depending on the size, skin on or off, breading and egg wash used. A leg quarter is closer to 410 calories, but that's thigh and drumstick. Getting to 1200 calories is equivalent to eating 6 pieces of dark meat, skin-on baked chicken. There are silly calorie counts all in MFP. If something looks too good to be true, Google is a great tool, as is NutritionData. And if something looks completely blown out of proportion, ditto.

Haha, I was going to say...I eat thighs all the time and according to the package 4 ounces of skinless boneless thigh is only slightly more calories than breast meat (130 vs 110, I think.) Not sure on what planet 3 thighs is 150 or 1200 calories.
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I recently started using a scale to weigh food. I saw just how far I was off on a lot of things. I thought I was pretty close on serving sizes until I started weighing. I'm really glad that people use weights like grams or oz.

I also like that there are the other options available too, just takes a little longer to pick the one you want sometimes. And I don't mind for accuracy.

Sorry it bothers you but it really helps the rest of us. ;)
    Totally agree. Started weghing everything as an experiment. Was totally surprised when two strawberries were over 100g. Now I just weigh, even liquids as they should be by liters or parts thereof, instead of cups. Metric is closer to true. Just wish that everything would be lumped together in metric, ounces or cups. Would make it much easier. Now when I weigh I do both grams and ounces so that when I logg I don't get any surprises.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    It drives me nutty when founds are listed by the ounce or some other measuring....If I'm having salsa and chips, I measure out by tablespoons my salsa and a number of chips (for example)...I don't measure out x many ounces of chips....who does that?! Why in sam's hill can't they put an estimated quantity? I don't always want to weight my lunch meat, or chips, or dry pasta. I do have a scale but it's not always convenient.

*phew* glad you let me get that off my chest. Feel free to share your complaint ;)
    Lots of people do it so they feel totally accurate. Personally myself, I just look at the size of a portion and determine if it's too much or too little. Can't have too much bacon, IMO.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    Who does that? I do! I weigh everything. It's the ONLY way to be accurate and to stop yourself guessing (and underestimating) your intake. And it really doesn't take long does it? Digital scales are my friend.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options

^^This... into what size pieces should I cut my apple before I measure it, because I can eat more apple if I cut it smaller... Just give me the weight so I can plop it on my food scale...

Same here. If I eat a papaya, my options are a cup cubed, or a cup sliced. Um, neither. Half one fruit with a spoon. I suppose I could find some way to get nutritional facts per gram, then weigh it and enter my own papaya into the data base. But I'd be doing that with all of my food. For now, I'm selecting things like "Fruit - Apricot, raw (1 medium size)" and figuring something logged is better than nothing.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Who does that? How about people who are trying to be as accurate as possible on their calorie count. I'm always searching entries for weight measurements.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It drives me nutty when founds are listed by the ounce or some other measuring....If I'm having salsa and chips, I measure out by tablespoons my salsa and a number of chips (for example)...I don't measure out x many ounces of chips....who does that?!

Who does that? People who are serious about losing weight or people who want to track their calories accurately. Love my scale!

Yup that's who. People like me who care about accuracy.
    This works great when you're in your own home, but what about when you go out to dinner or to a party? You have to estimate how many. You can't really weigh in those situations.