Any Success Stories for Women about 300 Pounds??

Options

Replies

• xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I started at 315 in May 2012. I was down 100 lbs by Christmas. I lost the first 100 with mainly diet. I started exercising in the gym on a regular basis in Jan/Feb and began running around April.

Log everything you eat. You can lose weight without exercise, but if I could redo it, I would have worked out with more frequency in the beginning.

Edit: I'm 5'4
  • StillStrugglin
    StillStrugglin Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I started at 319, and hit 199 today. You can ask me stuff if you'd like

WAHOOOO!!!!! ONE-DERLAND!!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • StillStrugglin
    StillStrugglin Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    About 8 years ago, when I was 35, I had gastric bypass surgery. I weighed 345 at the time and had been dieting since about 1981 so figured it really wasn't working for me! :) I know wls isn't for everyone, so I'm not promoting it. But just wanted to let you know that, in a variety of ways, it can be done. :) NOW, maintaining it, well gurl, that's just a whole other story! (I'm 182 lbs this week.) Add me if you like!

Best of luck either way!

PS - I was 5'4" when I started, but gained an inch as I lost weight! Cool, huh? Helped in the old BMI department!
  • DaisyDi65
    DaisyDi65 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5'10" and started at 310 in December. I'm now at 275. My advice is log everything you eat. Don't think you had a bad day and choose not to log, only one you lie to is yourself . I purchased a Fitbit in February and use it as motivation. I set little goals and try to break them. Also drink water. It helps to keep things flushed. I think others have stated move more, eat less. That is the best advice. If you are currently inactive, start by parking further away from the store or work, add those additional steps. Take an additional flight of stairs. Cliche, but if I can do it anyone can. Also, get friends on here for support. I rely on my friends for that extra push. Best wishes to the healthy side. Feel free to send a friend request.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm a shortie, but I was over 300 lbs when I was ~finally~ diagnosed with PCOS in 2009, which I've had since my teens but it was overlooked. I was put on yasmin, and nothing changed for 6 months, and then the weight started slowly coming off. I stopped birth control last year when my insurance stopped covering yasmin and I had terrible side effects, including major water weight gain with ocella.

I had lost 77 pounds while on yasmin and the addition of metforim, which started in 2011 . But, without the birth control pills, my weight started to go up again. I wasn't logging or keeping track of what I ate either, which I KNOW was a real problem, not just the coming off the pill. Although, the hormone changes definitely add to it.

I was started on spironolactone to help with PCOS symptoms in November 2012 and my weight kept creeping up, up, up with spiro and high levels of job anxiety, watching my co-workers getting pink slipped all the time is not fun, and am I next? There's a reason why it's called 'comfort food' and I eat it when I'm stressed. I had gained back 35 of those lost pounds, and now I'm here!

And so far so good, so even if you're starting at a high weight, even if you're having work stress and hormonal issues, this can be done. With light exercise (10-30 minute sessions) as I get used to it again, I feel better and less stressed. I am hoping to hit my goal weight in a couple years.

The tools at MFP are great, and there are so many successful people here who already did it! ^_^
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Now that the weight is coming off, I'm actually getting my full height. I'd been told by a doctor that I had a few inches hiding in a couple of compressed disks due to my weight, and they were right.

I actually started up around 415, may have been a bit higher, but that is the number I remember clearly. Medical issues started the weight loss, but I've taken the reins to keep it rolling. I log after I eat, but I also LEARN how my food affects me so I'm not tied to prelogging everything. Also have had to learn how foods affect me due to the medical condition.

Exercise - I have access to the school gym, so I have no reason NOT to exercise. I just have to remember two hours is too much, I don't have to put in that much! I just hit the exercise high, and often forget about time.

I keep track of the scale, the tape measure, and body fat to keep things moving the right direction. I don't beat myself up if any one or two of the three head in the wrong direction at the same time. I just buckle down harder to convince them all to head the SAME direction that I am next time.

Find what motivates YOU. Look at that motivation, DREAM about that motivation, to the best of your ability LIVE that motivation. Things will be tough at times, but with your motivation being the driving force, you will be able to get through the tougher times.

If you want more about my story, here is a link to the thread(s) I update monthly regarding my journey. The first part is one more jump back.
  • XXbrendaXX
    XXbrendaXX Posts: 169
    Options
    I started a little over a year ago at 320 lbs, and today weigh 195. I am also 5'8". My main advice is just that you really have to want it bad enough. For me it was about being healthy, not thin. I started eating healthy foods and moving my body. That's what it really comes down to. If you want it bad enough, you will make it happen. You CAN do this!! :smile:
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I started at over 300 and am down 111 pounds. Tracking, even the bad days, moving and great support on here. You can do it.

Feel free to add me if you want!
  • TattedCharli
    TattedCharli Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6". Started at 290 lbs, have lost 70 lbs in 8 months.
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I started at over 400 pounds on January 2nd 2012,
    Here's my advice for what it's worth
    Give yourself a break if you have a not so great day,
    Try to concentrate on having one good day instead of how much time you think it might take you.
    You just need to have one good day at a time.
    Good luck to you,
    Feel free to add me if you think it might help you.
  • willnevergiveup
    willnevergiveup Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    In 2008 I was well over 300 pounds. I don't know how much over because I refused to get on a scale. Over the next three years I gradually lost weight until last spring I was at 227. This is when I joined MFP and, in the last four months I've lost more than 40 pounds. I have about 50 more to go.

My tips? 1. Be kind to yourself. Don't beat yourself up for any slips you make. 2. Be patient. Time is going to pass whether or not you lose weight. 3. Find what works for you. For me, this means finding ways to still eat the foods I love best in healthier ways. For example, I don't want to eat white pasta, but I didn't like the taste of whole wheat pasta either so now I put my spaghetti sauce on sauted zucchini slices. I don't eat foods that are healthy but which I hate. I don't eat yogurt. I do eat sardines. 4. Find an exercise or more than one that you like and can and will do.

Good luck! Believe you can lose weight and then do what you know you need to do to succeed.
  • hey_nikki
    hey_nikki Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's definitely not an easy road to be on. Highest weight 322, current 289! I celebrate the 280s because I've been stuck going up and down the same 5lbs for almost a year. No excuses really, my own issues with controlling my addiction to food. Yep, I'm definitely addicted, one of those "I'm can't stop thinking about it until I have it, and overeat when I do because it tastes so good" kinda deals...

Mainly focusing on the "diet" aspect right now. Bought myself a Striiv Smart pedometer, pretty cool little gadget! Keeps me motivated to get more step most days. Also got a Push-Ups App on my phone... Trying to tone up the bat wings before my wedding... 55days and counting :S

I was diagnosed with PCOS like most a couple years ago. Metformin is basically the only medication that can help, and well I'm allergic to it aparently. No other allergies known, but of course this one. BOO! Had an appointment with and Endocrinologist, and I'm sure its not the case for most but MY PCOS is caused by MY Weight! Really quite sad to think that my body developed this condition because I was/am not treating it properly.

I actually remember the day I hit 300 on the scale. I moved to a new City half way across the Country from all my family and friends. The depression and loneliness got to the point where I was just eating my feelings away. Almost literally eating for the "high"...stepped on the scale, 300lbs came up and I thought "Oh well". I believe that was late 2007, in less than a year I gained atleast 60lbs. Since then its been quite the rollercoaster ride trying to get that weight back off. The smallest weight I can remember is 232lbs in 2004. My second year in college, and I was on one of the high priced/very strict diets that as a student I could not afford.

My first goal was 299, didn't ever want to see 3 again. Second 289, with I just hit the other day, and now I continue on. Goal number 3 - 279. Thinking about the fact that I should be 150lbs less to be considered health in the medical world just blows my mind. So I go with 10lbs. 10lbs is doable, I can manage that. Anyone can!

I'm a big success story, but I am a small one! 33lbs is the weight of my 3 year old great niece. Heck I've lost a toddler off my body. I can barely carry an 18L water bottle (approx 25lbs or so). How did I ever manage to even walk?

Anywho... My tips?
    Little moderation, and movement goes a long way. Track everything! Even the bad days.
    Snack size Snickers is just as satisfying as the original size bar.
    Lower calorie thin crust pizza is just as satisfying as that deliciously greasy restaurant one.
    Any movement is better than no movement. Take a little stroll, even if its to the end of the driveway. The next day, go a little further. It adds up! Take the stairs. I work on the 9th floor of an Office tower. I can not climb more than 2 flights (about 40 stairs here), but I can walk the 180 stairs down!

That's all for now I guess. This is getting a bit long winded! haha.

P.S. I'm only 5'5" tall. A lot of weight on a short frame.
  • Kendra0024
    Kendra0024 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Interesting how many people here have PCOS. I have it too. I am 297 lbs and it's a fight to lose every single pound. My weight is constantly up/down. It was definitely inspiring to read some of the stories in this thread!
  • chris047
    Options
    good job CrysOmboli. Keep up the good job. if you need a friend I am here for you.
  • tannyb
    tannyb Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" or so and I was over 300 when I started. I've probably lost a lot slower than most, but it was never a race for me. I started off by walking and just increased gradually over time. Later, I added biking, hiking, running intervals, circuit, strength, etc. I just keep finding new/different things to add or try and do a little bit of everything to keep it fresh. And I log every day even if I have a bad day where I go way over. I just start new tomorrow.
  • itcanbedone13
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who posted and became my support system! Looking forward to starting this journey!
  • JennOnTheRocks
    Options
    I am 38, 5'6+, and started my journey a little over a year ago at 321 lbs. I am now about ready to break through my 100 lbs lost goal. I still will have about 60 lbs to lose to be at my ultimate goal, 49% of my body weight (down 165 lbs). :) I would be happy to answer any questions you have. Feel free to inbox me! :)
  • Dyetcoke1
    Dyetcoke1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Well Im 5'6", 255, and that is the very obese range. I hate that word, but its true. My story is this. I joined MFP, and mostly and mainly because of good tracking I lost 15 pound in three months. Then I stopped tracking and it all came back. Exercise is hugely important, but it is that tracking that helps you keep it going. Just focus on staying with the food journaling and you will be surprised.
  • twentyco
    twentyco Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I started at 314, and am down to 248 ... sort of. I lost pretty steadily to 253, and then have really struggled to take any weight off since May of this year. I am not sure what is going on --- I am sticking to my calories reasonably well, have added exercise, etc. My next step is to get a BodyMedia Fit so that I can figure out how many calories I'm really burning --- I am not sure if I'm not eating enough, or if I'm eating too much, or if there is something else going on. But I am sticking to it one day at a time, and constantly telling myself not to get discouraged.

Here is what has worked for me:

1. Log everything. Everything --- even little bites here and there, or samples from Costco, or whatever.
    2. Get a scale. I weigh most things to try to get as accurate a measurement as possible.
    3. I don't deprive myself of anything that I really want. I just eat less of it. Whereas I used to just take a big bag of chips and eat them mindlessly, now I measure out a serving and eat that. If I want more, I repeat. And I log the calories, and fit them in to my daily allotment. Same with ice cream, candy, etc. I still do have treats --- I do not do deprivation well, and it will not work for me. I also have a couple relatively low calorie but filling meals I have developed that I work in to days when I've eaten extra treats, so that I can still make my calorie goal and not be starving (grape nuts mixed with greek yogurt is my favorite).
    4. Exercise if you can, even if it is just a little bit at a time. I started out walking --- started with a goal of doing it twice a week, and then worked up to four times a week. Then I mixed in the exercise bike. I have also (very intermittently) done things like the 100 sit ups/100 push ups apps. I don't have a ton of extra time (very demanding job, and I'm a mom), but I fit it in where I can. No excuses -- if I didn't do it, it's because I chose to do something else instead.
    5. Don't beat yourself up. If you have a bad day, move on. I went on a cruise earlier this summer and ate pretty much whatever I wanted, though I did try to control the portions, limit myself to two courses at dinner rather than 5, etc. When I came back, I hadn't gained, and I even lost a few pounds (finally) shortly after I got back.
    6. Don't get discouraged. This is for the long haul. Just stick with it. It took people literally months to notice that I lost weight. And months and months before I needed new clothes. I still wear some of the same clothes that I wore before (though I fit in to a lot of smaller stuff now, too). Just keep going, every day.
    7. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change. Whenever anyone says that I'm on a diet, I correct them. This is not temporary for me, it is a permanent change to my lifestyle. I want to be healthier and more active as I get older, and that's the reason I'm changing the path that I was on.
    8. Know that you're worth it. It's a lot of effort, and requires a lot of stamina. I think things changed for me when I realized that I have the willpower --- I'm one of the most stubborn people I know --- I just needed to apply that willpower in the direction of making my lifestyle better and healthier. Once I realized that, it's really all math (which MFP does for you!)
    9. Get rid of your old clothes along the way. Not all of them, maybe, but on the whole I have been ditching stuff. I don't ever want to go back to needing those clothes. I shop at thrift shops for smaller stuff, and also get some stuff on sale. It hasn't been too bad cost-wise.
    10. Set smaller goals. "I need to lose 140 pounds" is overwhelming. "I need to lose 15 pounds to get below 300," (my first goal) is less so. My next "real" goal is to get to my halfway point (only a few pounds to go), and then after that to get out of the "obese" BMI range. I've had others along the way, also.

MFP is a great tool. But it's just that. The rest has to come from you. But you're worth it. Best of luck to all on your journeys.
  • CrysOmboli
    CrysOmboli Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    YESSS!!!!! LOG THE BAD STUFF! SO IMPORTANT! Even if you don't want to, that's how I say no to stuff, because I know I have to log it. & I made my diary public so I knew people would see it and chastise me lol
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!