Others jealous of your weight loss??

Options
My in-laws think I have lost all this weight by taking something....like diet pills. They even questioned my dad about it yesterday. I am somewhat annoyed to be honest. Why do people always assume there is a magic pill to lose weight? Even my co-workers constantly ask me what is your secret (like what are you taking) and a lot of them say it in almost a jealous way. It's not rocket science...I eat healthy food and smaller portions, drink lots of water, and evercise about an hour at a time (3 days of high intensity cardio and 3 days of heavy weights) every week. It is so irritating that some people assume you take the easy route and they give you attitude about it too. I tell everyone now who gives me the gears that I have worked very hard to lose the weight I have (so far) and I am very proud of myself too!! I am not trying to impress anyone...I am doing this for ME.

Anyone else having the same issue as me? Why do people have to be so jealous of your hard work?

Sorry just had to vent :grumble: Thanks for listening :smile:

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Nobody ever wants to hear the secret to weight loss involves doing work.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Nobody ever wants to hear the secret to weight loss involves doing work.

EXACTLY!!
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I've posted about it a couple times on Facebook when I hit a big milestone, and there's been two people who ask me every time what I'm doing. I tell them I've been counting calories and exercising, but I suppose they think I must be doing something new and special in order to keep losing weight. Nope, I just didn't give up.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Meh, who cares what others think/say. Just ignore them....
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    No one around me seems jealous about my gradual weightloss but when I went to visit my daughter after 6 months of not seeing her she expressed some concern. She thought I was too thin (5'2" 122 lbs.) I'm very happy with my size and I feel great and eat very well. I think she was concerned because she hadn't seen me as I was losing. After a couple of days, when she saw how much I was eating and she became accustomed to the thinner me, she said, "I'm glad to see you have gained a few pounds"!
    Funnily enough, I was exactly the same weight-she just needed a couple of days to adjust to the "new" me, lol.
    I'm sorry there are people around you that seem jealous and think you're on diet pills.
    People do think it takes a lot of strength or diet pills or starvation, but for me it just took exercise or moving more and a bit of a calorie deficit.
  • cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Don't feel to bad... My aunt (who has known me my whole like) thinks that I'm anorexic now. She thinks that I'm secretly making myself throw up my food... Even my mother is making the comment that "my face is getting to thin"... I'm still considered overweight according to the BMI charts... It just goes to show that people have no clue what "normal" looks like anymore... I'm not going to let them stop me from continuing on my path to health. Don't let them discourage you... You started this journey for you and you alone... Keep up the hard work!!!
  • tcmom72
    tcmom72 Posts: 32
    Options
    Totally feel you! I have a good friend of mine who will barely talk to me since I lost weight. She is pissed at me.
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Yes - my own mother! I think she just hates the idea that I might achieve something without her input, as she's had nothing at all to do with me running.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Totally feel you! I have a good friend of mine who will barely talk to me since I lost weight. She is pissed at me.

That is awful!
  • MozzarellaSheep
    MozzarellaSheep Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My mom has always been mega jealous of my weightloss.
    We started out at the same weight, and I have lost almost 70lbs while she has probably lost 15lbs.
    She refuses to count calories.. so.. her loss!
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    I think they're jealous of me with or without weight loss. So much jealousy everywhere. They're just haters,, right?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think they're jealous of me with or without weight loss. So much jealousy everywhere. They're just haters,, right?

I'm jealous of you.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I have a good friend of mine who will barely talk to me since I lost weight. She is pissed at me.

"Good" friend ?
  • Sondicalondi
    Sondicalondi Posts: 57 Member
    Options
  • Sondicalondi
    Options
    I have a good friend of mine who will barely talk to me since I lost weight. She is pissed at me.

"Good" friend ?
  • Sondicalondi
    Options
    Find another good friend!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

Yep, I'm jealous of you. I have all the jealousies.

And sock envy, lots of sock envy.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    My sister tells me she hates me every time she sees me, since I've been losing weight but when I was pregnant would call me a fatty. Let's just say we have a distant relationship.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Why do you automatically assume that they are jealous? Sounds like some are concerned and some are intrigued.

It is far more likely that YOU want them to be jealous of you.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

I hope you mean EX good friend.